General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
GM Reveals 2024 Chevrolet Equinox EV

2024 Equinox EV: An Affordable, Functional and Stylish EV
Enters contested compact SUV segment as the most affordable all-electric entry
General Motors

September 8, 2022

NEW YORK – After introducing the Chevrolet Silverado EV and Blazer EV this year, Chevrolet’s blitz of electric vehicle rollouts continues with a third introduction: the all-new 2024 Equinox EV — an affordable all-electric SUV tailored to help modern families make a seamless, confident and uncompromising transition to an EV.

“We are at a turning point where EVs will be the mainstream choice for the next generation of customers and Equinox EV will lead this charge for us,” said Mary Barra, Chair and CEO of General Motors. “With the flexibility of GM’s Ultium Platform, we are bringing to market vehicles at nearly every price point and for every purpose.”

With a starting price of around $30,0001 on the 1LT, the Equinox EV plugs Chevrolet into the critical compact SUV segment and is expected to be the most affordable EV in its class11. It rounds out an electrified portfolio that covers major segments, including full-size trucks (Silverado EV), midsize SUVs (Blazer EV) and compact SUVs (Bolt EV and Bolt EUV). Plus, it will also be available with up to an available GM-estimated 300 miles of range on a full charge2.

“Chevrolet is now positioned to offer a wide array of EVs,” said Scott Bell, vice president of Chevrolet. “We know truck and SUV customers better than anyone and we’ve channeled that insight and experience into our new EVs.”

With the Equinox EV, designers and engineers focused on the style, space, safety and value attributes that made the gas-powered Equinox second to only the Silverado in Chevy sales and elevated them with expressive design, electrifying capability and effortless EV technology.

In addition to the Ultium-based propulsion technologies, features include a large infotainment screen3 — including an available 17.7-inch-diagonal system — a strong suite of standard and available driver assistance technologies9, and available Super Cruise4 hands-free driver assistance technology for compatible roads, when compared to the current Equinox.

“The Equinox EV is an EV for everyone,” said Bell. “It’s an affordable game-changer, offering an uncompromising experience, with more features, that won’t change your daily routine — except that you will no longer have to stop at the gas station.”

Expressive design
At a glance, the Equinox EV’s expressive design has an athletic, bold and commanding appearance that is instantly recognizable as a Chevy SUV. Two distinctive personalities — LT and RS — are offered in several trims, drive configurations and range options.

Highlights include:
  • Sleek lines and sporty proportions enabled by the Ultium Platform
  • Innovative walk-up lighting, with front and rear lighting animation standard and an available unique light bar on mid- and up-level LT and RS trims
  • Standard 19-inch wheels, with available 20- and 21-inch wheels depending on the trim
  • Available presence-based liftgate that can open hands-free when sensing the key fob is near the back of the vehicle
  • Available two-tone white roof on LT and available black roof on RS

Inside, a streamlined and modern interior offers room for five, available personalized ambient lighting and a smart infotainment system3. It also has a spacious cabin, with numerous storage solutions from front to rear, as well as up to 57 cubic feet (1,614 liters) of max cargo room, with the rear seat folded.

When it comes to comfort and convenience, heated front and rear outboard seats, a heated steering wheel and even a heated windshield wiper park feature, which helps keep the area around the wipers clear of ice buildup, are available.

Effortless EV tech and more
Chevrolet is committed to making the EV transition seamless, with support such as available navigation and route planning through the MyChevy app10, which helps locate and plot routes to charging stations.

Customers also have access to Ultium Charge 360, GM’s holistic approach to EV charging, which is designed to simplify the overall charging experience, with information and access to more than 110,000 publicly available charging points in the U.S. and Canada.

“Chevrolet has your back with every aspect of the EV experience,” said Bell. “The Equinox EV has the range to take you where you want to go, the spaciousness for your passengers and gear, and technology to do it all comfortably and confidently.”

Chevrolet also knows safety is top priority for families and the Equinox EV delivers with a strong list of standard features:
  • Chevy Safety Assist9, which includes Automatic Emergency Braking, Following Distance Indicator, Forward Collision Alert, Front Pedestrian Braking, Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning and IntelliBeam automatic high beams
  • Rear Park Assist9
  • Reverse Automatic Braking9
  • Safety Alert Seat9
  • Rear Cross Traffic Braking9
  • Blind Zone Steering Assist9

Available driver assistance technologies include Adaptive Cruise Control9 and HD Surround Vision9, with a Head-Up Display and Rear Camera Mirror9 also available.

Additionally, Super Cruise4, the industry’s first true hands-free driver-assistance technology is also available. It allows drivers to travel hands-free on more than 400,000 miles of compatible roads across the U.S. and Canada.

Electrifying capability
A standard front-wheel-drive system with GM estimated 210 horsepower and 242 lb-ft of torque offers quick acceleration and a fun driving experience for everyday tasks, with a 290-horsepower and 346 lb-ft torque eAWD system available.

One-Pedal Driving5 is standard and allows the Equinox EV to accelerate and slow to a full stop, using only the accelerator. It’s paired with regenerative braking6, which can convert the kinetic energy of the vehicle’s forward momentum into electricity that’s stored in the battery pack to maximize the driving range.

The Equinox EV also packs the latest in charging technology:
  • Standard 11.5 kW Level 2 (AC) charging7, which can add up to 34 miles of range per hour of charging, per GM estimates
  • 19.2 kW Level 2 (AC) charging8 is available on 3RS eAWD, which can add up to 51 miles of range per hour of charging, per GM estimates
  • Standard DC fast-charging capability of up to 150 kW, which enables approximately 70 miles of range to be added in 10 minutes, per GM estimates7

GM covers the Equinox EV’s battery with an 8-year/100,000-mile limited warranty, in addition to the vehicle’s standard bumper-to-bumper coverage for added peace of mind.

Available for fleet and retail customers
As with the new Blazer EV and Silverado EV, the Equinox EV also offers fleet customers the benefits of zero-emissions driving, zero gas stops and the opportunity for reduced maintenance.

“Chevy’s fleet customers have EV goals and the all-new Equinox EV helps achieve them,” said Bell. “With some putting more than 20,000 miles a year on their vehicles, it can help them save time at the pump and gas money.”

The 2024 Chevrolet Equinox EV will be available in fall 2023, starting with a limited edition 2RS. Additional details and ordering information will be available closer to the start of production. The Equinox EV will be produced at GM’s Ramos Arizpe, Mexico, production facility.

Old 09-08-2022, 08:11 AM   #2
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Photos
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:13 AM   #3
snizzle
Recalled user

Drives: '12 Camaro SS, '18 Colorado Z71
It looks like a solid entry. Important price point for mainstream adoption. I wonder though how Hyundai/Kia already have similar vehicles out with faster charging. They seem to be embarrassing Detroit on a regular basis these days.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body
RX Catch Can
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Pfadt ZL-Spec Stage 3 Suspension
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
snizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 09:15 AM   #4
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Well...I like it for the most part...considering what it is. Not as much as Blazer EV. I think Chevy has done a good job here.

On a related note, I feel like GM has been knocking it out of the park with many of the new Chevy and GMC interiors lately. Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, Silverado, Sierra, 3rd gen Colorado and Canyon, Blazer EV, and Equinox EV all have what I'd consider to be, fantastic interior designs.

Man...I really wish the offered this or the new Blazer in a hybrid setup like the Toyota RAV4 Prime.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:11 AM   #5

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Will this new 30Kish Equinox qualify for the upcoming 7.5K Tax Credit? $22.5K is a decent price.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 10:28 AM   #6
snizzle
Recalled user

Even if it was, many don't qualify for the credit. If the gov has to be involved (which I reject in general), then take the money off the price of the car up front at point of sale.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
Old 09-08-2022, 10:38 AM   #7

I know that some people will or won't qualify for the tax credit. But the vehicle itself must also meet certain criteria for the Tax Credit. If the vehicle isn't eligible, no-one will qualify for the credit.
Old 09-08-2022, 11:04 AM   #8
snizzle
Recalled user

True. Probably comes down to battery manufacturing targets set to qualify. It's unclear. A bunch of hurdles to clear now.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
Old 09-08-2022, 11:45 AM   #9
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
Will this new 30Kish Equinox qualify for the upcoming 7.5K Tax Credit? $22.5K is a decent price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
True. Probably comes down to battery manufacturing targets set to qualify. It's unclear. A bunch of hurdles to clear now.
The Equinox EV will be built at Ramos Arizpe, Mexico. Same as the current Blazer and the Blazer EV. GM is building the electric motors in the US. The batteries will come from either the Ramos Arizpe battery plant or one of the two US based Ultium Battery plants (Lordstown, Spring Hill). It should qualify. The qualifications based on origin of the raw materials used in the battery don't kick in for a few years, giving time for the battery manufacturers to shift their resource sources.

So, bottom line at launch Equinox EV more than likely qualifies for incentives. How long it qualifies depends on how long it takes GM to source battery raw materials in US. Two of my colleagues are speaking on this topic in detail during Industry Day at NAIAS. I will also be speaking on a related topic at NAIAS.
Attached Images

A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 12:18 PM   #10

Blazer....

Name:  blazer.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  252.8 KB

Equinox....(I like the two-tone paint)

Name:  equinox.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  178.7 KB

Sorry, had to look side by side....I guess the Blazer is more stylish, etc....Range-wise I think the Equinox wins (barely)...
Old 09-08-2022, 07:19 PM   #11
Chrome383Z

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS
Neither for me. EV range won’t cut it and no options to charge. I would consider a hybrid option (for my work car).
Old 09-25-2022, 08:38 PM   #12
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
You're getting closer to the price point of a regular Equinox, which is good. The problem lies where you can get nearly an extra 50% more range with an internal combustion engine, it takes 9 times longer to recharge vs refuel, and if/when the batteries go bad, the replacement cost is still astronomical. If you're going to give me a vehicle, give me a superior one, not a kinda sorta close, but worse one.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 06:53 AM   #13
snizzle
Recalled user

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroguy View Post
You're getting closer to the price point of a regular Equinox, which is good. The problem lies where you can get nearly an extra 50% more range with an internal combustion engine, it takes 9 times longer to recharge vs refuel, and if/when the batteries go bad, the replacement cost is still astronomical. If you're going to give me a vehicle, give me a superior one, not a kinda sorta close, but worse one.
I agree, in part. The advantage would be the potential capability (I know this doesn't apply to all) to recharge overnight each day which negates some of that concern. Right now, I think the best use-case is a daily commuter in a multi car single family household.

2012 2SS 45th AE LS3 M6

Borla ATAK Catback
Kooks Stepped LT Headers
CAI Intake
Hexvents
RX Catch Can
Forgestar F14
Tuned by Frost
Old 09-26-2022, 04:15 PM   #14
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by snizzle View Post
Right now, I think the best use-case is a daily commuter in a multi car single family household.
This.

I could not honestly rely on this as the only means for transportation for my family.

Need to get out of Florida ASAP due to an impending category 4 hurricane? Last thing you need is to worry about how your going to charge up your ride once your a couple hundred miles down the road.