Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Phastek Performance

Old 09-28-2022, 10:18 AM   #1
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
How Tire Warranties Work

Ok guys I go thru ALOT of tires so I thought I would share with you just how a typical tire warranty or adjustments are handled using DISCOUNT tire procedures as an example. I post this HERE because no doubt we go thru more tires than most.

First off the LONGEST Tire Road Hazard warranty I am aware of is a 2 year one that is provided by www.tirerack.com for FREE. DISCOUNT tire bought TIRERACK recently but they DO honor their warranty. The KEY here tho is you must provide them a receipt from TIRERACK for them to honor it.

Typically road hazard coverage covers the tire if you damage it in the shoulder of the tire or the sidewall which is deemed as an unrepairable tire. Typically they will replace the tire BUT they will charge you to mount and balance the new replacement tire and they will also want to put a "tire" certificate on to the new tire (you CAN opt out on the certificate). So basically you can expect to spend 100 dollars for your "FREE" replacement .

Now, road hazard WILL NOT cover a tire that is showing less than 2/32" of tread in ANY part of the tire. So if you are getting low on tread on the inside edges of the tire and you should happen to pick up a nail in the sidewall or shoulder, then THAT is NOT COVERED under this warranty.

Adjustments for the FACTORY provided treadwear warranty (using MICHELIN guidelines) are done in the following manner. Discount Tire has a scanner that will scan the entire width of your tire and it gives then tread depth settings (these are saved and I guess sent to Michelin) across the entire width of the tire. Their guidelines state that the treadwear has to be relatively even across the surface of the tire or no more than 2/32" variance.

So if you have 3/32" on the INSIDE of the tire and 6/32" in the MIDDLE then the treadwear warranty guidelines deem that THAT tire is NOT covered.

In ANY case a tire starting to show chords will NOT be covered.

This all came up again YESTERDAY when I had a tire adjusted due to tire wear . Since I was down to about HALF the original tread depth AND I rotate the tires front to back (square setup) then the COST of the replacement MS 4S was $265.00 instead of $440.00. Since I bought this tire from TIRE RACK originally I had to show invoice from them. Since there WAS NOT any mileage noted at time of purchase from TIRE RACK (there never is) they had to estimate the miles to come up an adjustment calculation.

Having said all this BS, Discount Tire managers CAN make exceptions to these guidelines but they RARELY do because who wants to jeopardize a relatively high paying GIG??? I have found however that there is MORE flexibility on their end if you are a higher volume customer.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10

Last edited by sr71bb; 09-28-2022 at 12:54 PM.
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 04:48 PM   #2
HypeBlueZL1

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Good info. Also:

Road Hazard Warranty

All passenger, performance and light truck tires sold through Costco Wholesale are covered by a 5-year Road Hazard Warranty

*protecting customers against tread wear damage and tire failure. Costco Wholesale will repair or replace** tires damaged during standard legal vehicle operation.
For complete details download the Costco Road Hazard Warranty

I've used Costco's Road Hazard warranty and it works as advertised. I had a $400 Michelin tire replaced on one of my Corvettes a few years ago. Cost me mounting and balancing fees.
HypeBlueZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:43 PM   #3
cdrptrks

Drives: 2017 Blue Camaro 1SS 1LE with PDR
Also it is not good for the rear differential to replace a single rear tire if there is much tread depth difference side to side so you will have to pay for the other rear tire out of pocket if one worn rear tire picks up unrepairable damage that is covered by warranty in order to properly address that situation.

Plus Discount Tire is closed on Sundays so their tire warranty certificates are not very valuable to me considering most of my track events are on weekends and they typically end for the day around the same time Discount Tire closes on Saturday.

Keeping a spare set of tires on hand is my strategy. My local Discount Tire didn't stock Goodyear Supercar 3 tires the last time I checked so I would not be able to get one from them on the same day if I picked up unrepairable damage.

Last edited by cdrptrks; 09-28-2022 at 10:29 PM.
cdrptrks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 07:57 PM   #4
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by HypeBlueZL1 View Post
Good info. Also:

Road Hazard Warranty

All passenger, performance and light truck tires sold through Costco Wholesale are covered by a 5-year Road Hazard Warranty

*protecting customers against tread wear damage and tire failure. Costco Wholesale will repair or replace** tires damaged during standard legal vehicle operation.
For complete details download the Costco Road Hazard Warranty

I've used Costco's Road Hazard warranty and it works as advertised. I had a $400 Michelin tire replaced on one of my Corvettes a few years ago. Cost me mounting and balancing fees.
\

Well that's good to know about COSTCO. GOOD POST!!!
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2024, 12:57 PM   #5
Texan4iu
BLEW BIU

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Hyper Blue
Been looking for info regarding Tire Racks warranty process as I have been dealing with them today. I submitted a claim a few days ago for an unrepairable tire (I hit something that took a small chunk out of the tire). Today, the claim's dept said it was denied with no explanation other than "the tire is not eligible". So I emailed them and asked why. They said "your tire is worn in the pictures you submitted". Really??? Of course it's worn. I've been using it!! So I replied back and told them it still has more than 2/32" of tread left, which is what their Terms and Conditions state. So they replied and said they could not tell how much tread was left, and requested I take pictures of the tires showing exactly the tread depth. Thankfully, the place that replaced my tires the other day still have the damaged one, so I'm heading there today to take pictures of it. So in the event you need a tire replaced under warranty, take several pictures of not only the damage but also of the tread depth.
Attached Images

Texan4iu is offline   Reply With Quote