Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 09-28-2022, 10:38 AM   #1
455bhp

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Wagon
Thumbs down 2021 Kia Sportage - Avoid even as a rental

Hi all,

I took a summer vacation and Avis "graced" me with a 2021 Kia Sportage LX. Boy, talk about a reminder that basic-economy SUVs exist, too. The LX is the lowest trim level for the Sportage and it had no niceties, not even even automatic climate control. (Okay, there was Apple CarPlay/Android Auto.)

We needed to cover lots of boring highway miles, and the Sportage was a fine appliance for the job. It rides softly and holds an 80-mph cruise without strain. Getting up to 80 mph, though, is a moaning and groaning sweat-fest. The base engine is underpowered for an SUV of this heft.

I know these Sportage LX's are cheap---~$27k with AWD---but I'd still recommend looking at other options rather than getting into this entirely mediocre SUV. I'll avoid renting one again!

(Kia did refresh the Sportage for 2022 or 2023; I hope the new model is much improved!)

(My full Sportage review is here.)

Best!

Old 09-28-2022, 11:52 AM   #2
sr71bb

Drives: 2019 Camaro Z-28
Quote:
Originally Posted by 455bhp View Post
Hi all,

I took a summer vacation and Avis "graced" me with a 2021 Kia Sportage LX. Boy, talk about a reminder that basic-economy SUVs exist, too. The LX is the lowest trim level for the Sportage and it had no niceties, not even even automatic climate control. (Okay, there was Apple CarPlay/Android Auto.)

We needed to cover lots of boring highway miles, and the Sportage was a fine appliance for the job. It rides softly and holds an 80-mph cruise without strain. Getting up to 80 mph, though, is a moaning and groaning sweat-fest. The base engine is underpowered for an SUV of this heft.

I know these Sportage LX's are cheap---~$27k with AWD---but I'd still recommend looking at other options rather than getting into this entirely mediocre SUV. I'll avoid renting one again!

(Kia did refresh the Sportage for 2022 or 2023; I hope the new model is much improved!)

(My full Sportage review is here.)

Best!

KIA is the BIGGEST POS car I ever owned. They had issues at the engine assembly plant a few years ago and engines were failing left and right. I replaced THREE engines in mine (TWO at MY expense) before I finally got rid of the POS. Road noise levels were high due to limited sound deadening. I had the OPTIMA sedan for about TWO years.
https://youtu.be/c9M5UHDftcA
4-15-23 at SCCA TT U1 Class

MEGA Thread on THIS car:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=602092

Retired Cars BELOW:
1973 Camaro, 1969 Camaro, 1969 Camaro SS RS
2010 Camaro SS with 1000HP F1R, 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
sr71bb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 06:32 PM   #3
455bhp

Drives: 2014 CTS-V Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr71bb View Post
KIA is the BIGGEST POS car I ever owned. They had issues at the engine assembly plant a few years ago and engines were failing left and right. I replaced THREE engines in mine (TWO at MY expense) before I finally got rid of the POS. Road noise levels were high due to limited sound deadening. I had the OPTIMA sedan for about TWO years.
Three engines? Ouch!
Old 10-28-2022, 03:31 PM   #4
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
I had a Hyundai Elantra for a rental and while I feel like the 2.0 + CVT(I don't hate CVTs that much, though, so keep that in mind) combo isn't half bad, I agree that some of the interior parts can look pretty bloody cheap. The climate control in the Elantra literally looks like a plastic mold where someone drilled 3 holes for the knobs. That particular part looks worse than the climate control in my old Civic beater, and that's saying something.

I mean, I know this is a low-trim, but come on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455bhp View Post
Three engines? Ouch!
Some of those Theta II engines can supposedly go boom pretty easily.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2022, 10:07 AM   #5
Gen6cyl

Drives: Chevy Camaro 2021 ,rs, v6, manual
They are a cheap car for someone who wants a new car and make payments. Probably not even good for that. They had a factory supported kia optima,I think,in a pro road racing series years ago. It was fwd 4cyl turbo. It won it overall one year against mustang v8's.
Gen6cyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kia, sportage