#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-26-2022, 01:20 PM   #85
2004YZFR1

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro Coupe 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SloCal View Post
Any update here from the guys running tremec mtf fluid?

Just ordered some because im having 2-3 lockout issues on track with D4 ATF with the tr6060 but worried about how much higher the viscosity is and by the fact that GM still recommends atf.

Looking for any input on those of you that run the tremec fluid and do no lift shifting from 2nd to 3rd or any high rpm shifting around there and more broadly. Also bought some mobil 1 atf in case this experiment doesn't work out.
I had the same issue yesterday on the track for the 2-3 shifts. It’s happened to me on 2 different occasions now. It was in the high 90’s all weekend and it was really hot the last event that the trans did that. My transmission temp never got over 200.

I called TREMEC today to see when they would have their fluid in stock. They don’t have any and the place that use to make it for them doesn’t anymore. They have a new company trying to make it.
2004YZFR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 09:54 AM   #86
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
I've been running Royal Purple since day one with plenty of track use, no complaints.
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:04 AM   #87
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Personally, I'm not a fan of Royal Purple. It seems okay under normal conditions, but I found on the race track I would have to wait longer than other fluids on the downshifts. When you're chasing tenths on a road course, that doesn't work. Transmission temps were also higher vs OEM fluid and Tremec fluid. I ran one weekend with Royal Purple and immediately drained it.

Tremec recommends Pennzoil Synchromesh (since their fluid is no longer available). I've been running the Pennzoil Synchromesh for several track events now. It's maybe not quite as good as the Tremec formula, but it's pretty darn close.

If you currently run Royal Purple, I'd encourage you to try some alternatives. I bet you don't go back.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:07 AM   #88
AZ_1LE

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE
No issues in 7k miles with Amsoil Signature ATF fluid here in Phoenix. Transmission shifts like butter on and off track.
AZ_1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:22 AM   #89
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
Personally, I'm not a fan of Royal Purple. It seems okay under normal conditions, but I found on the race track I would have to wait longer than other fluids on the downshifts. When you're chasing tenths on a road course, that doesn't work. Transmission temps were also higher vs OEM fluid and Tremec fluid. I ran one weekend with Royal Purple and immediately drained it.

Tremec recommends Pennzoil Synchromesh (since their fluid is no longer available). I've been running the Pennzoil Synchromesh for several track events now. It's maybe not quite as good as the Tremec formula, but it's pretty darn close.

If you currently run Royal Purple, I'd encourage you to try some alternatives. I bet you don't go back.
Well I’ll be damned. What pace/run group are you at most track days?
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 10:31 AM   #90
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDaddy82 View Post
Well I’ll be damned. What pace/run group are you at most track days?
I run in the fastest run group. I don't like to blow my own horn, but I'm usually one of, if not the fastest, on the track at most events. I run a full weight car, so obviously, an occassional race car and/or pro driver will be faster. It's rare to have another street car running similar times though.

I have a few of my laps posted on the Best Track Times thread. PittRace is my closest track, so that's a good reference. The VIR and Summit Point laps I have posted aren't bad either I suppose.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 01:04 PM   #91
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
I called and asked TREMEC a few years back about the -6060 and what they recommend. Specifically about the ATF spec from GM vs their HP Fluid.

He wouldn't speak to why GM spec'd ATF for the -6060, but he did tell me all the reasons they recommend HP-MTF. So for the last few years, I have been running nothing but the TREMEC fluid...then the plant burned and you couldn't get it any more.

When I called to ask for recommendations on replacement fluid, they said Pennzoil Synchromesh.

One of the benefits, BTW is because it's not ATF, it doesn't have the expansion properties that require you to fill and then drain some of the fluid out. He said a very common failure is filling the unit up with ATF, not draining the required amount and developing leaks in seals due to case pressure.

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2022, 02:47 PM   #92
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewAMEL View Post
I called and asked TREMEC a few years back about the -6060 and what they recommend. Specifically about the ATF spec from GM vs their HP Fluid.

He wouldn't speak to why GM spec'd ATF for the -6060, but he did tell me all the reasons they recommend HP-MTF. So for the last few years, I have been running nothing but the TREMEC fluid...then the plant burned and you couldn't get it any more.

When I called to ask for recommendations on replacement fluid, they said Pennzoil Synchromesh.

One of the benefits, BTW is because it's not ATF, it doesn't have the expansion properties that require you to fill and then drain some of the fluid out. He said a very common failure is filling the unit up with ATF, not draining the required amount and developing leaks in seals due to case pressure.
Thanks, I did not drain any when I replaced my fluid with Amsoil ATF last year, this isn't mentioned in the manual afaik. I hope my seals are ok! I've been considering replacing tranny fluid again, will go with the Pennzoil. The Amsoil ATF is working fine though, no complaints.
Old 09-27-2022, 08:49 PM   #93
MatthewAMEL

Drives: 2023 CT5 Blackwing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
Thanks, I did not drain any when I replaced my fluid with Amsoil ATF last year, this isn't mentioned in the manual afaik. I hope my seals are ok! I've been considering replacing tranny fluid again, will go with the Pennzoil. The Amsoil ATF is working fine though, no complaints.
Procedure is to fill and then remove 1/8” or 8 ounces. The removal allows room for fluid expansion. It’s in the service manual.

Here is a step by step:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=537762

2023 Wave Metallic
CT5-V Blackwing M6
MatthewAMEL is offline   Reply With Quote