Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 01-29-2022, 07:16 PM   #1
Sephx1

Drives: 18 ZLE, 18 SS1LE, 16 SS, 23 ZL1
How to replace SS seat badges

After searching threads on SS seat badges falling off the consensus was that gluing them on the seat cover was not a good or permanent solution and the seats should be taken to an upholsterer and fixed by removing the covers. Since I don’t know anyone I trust to do this, I did it myself and it wasn’t too bad of a job. I’ll go through the steps after seat removal, there are other threads to address that.

The emblems are apparently not available to order separately from the seat cover. Luckily, the car I bought at auction had both of them in the glove box.

I don’t know how to insert photos as I go, so all of the photos are at the end of this post. I used screws set in epoxy as I thought GM’s method of glueing to plastic studs left a lot of room for improvement. I would prefer not to have to reattach these again.

Once the seats were out, I placed them on a suitable work surface which for me was a freezer with a foam pad on top and a small step which made removing the headrest easier.

Next was removing the side trim, then the headrest. The headrest bezels simply twist up and then a small flat screwdriver releases the headrest. I’ve attached a photo of the headrest insert removed for clarity, it is not necessary to remove the insert.

The seatback release latch can be removed by carefully prying up on the front of it. If you pry on the back you will break the rear clip. Ask me how I know. Service manual says pry from the front. This will be a good time to repair your seat cover if it is coming loose around the seat latch. Someone made a thread on that already.

Next unzip the sides of the cover using a 90 degree pick tool. Unhook the straps under the seat and the J-hooks for the seat cover. Now you can slide the cover up slightly and peel it over the top of the seat. Do the side opposite the release latch, there’s more give which makes it easier. The other side should slide easily over the seat latch once this is done.

Now you have access to the backing plate for the SS emblem. Grab it and drill out the holes slightly so the 6/32 screws you will use will fit.

Now to the emblems. I cleaned mine up with a Dremel, then a pointed pick. The pick works well and roughed up the hole for a good bond.

I bought (6) 1/2” long 6/32 flat head screws at the hardware store and filed them down using a drill until they fit the holes. Also filed them on top to rough them up. Used the epoxy in the photo below after cleaning the screws and emblem holes with alcohol. I used the backing plate held up with nuts to keep the screws straight. Once the epoxy was set I installed the emblems without over tightening and used locktite to keep them from backing off. I then cut off the small amount of excess screw which probably wasn’t even necessary. Once this was done I reassembled in the order it was taken apart. Hopefully it will last a long time.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sephx1; 01-29-2022 at 08:18 PM.
Sephx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 08:58 AM   #2
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
Nice! This should be a sticky!
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2022, 03:31 PM   #3
Sephx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceme1117 View Post
Nice! This should be a sticky!
Thanks! Here are a few more photos not included in the OP.

Also I had set out to remove the seat back completely per the tech manual and ran into a problem when I didn’t have the correct tool to remove the side airbag. I then found it could be done without removing the airbag or the seat back which is a plus.
Attached Images

Old 05-20-2022, 06:22 PM   #4
MVPxD

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephx1 View Post
Thanks! Here are a few more photos not included in the OP.

Also I had set out to remove the seat back completely per the tech manual and ran into a problem when I didn’t have the correct tool to remove the side airbag. I then found it could be done without removing the airbag or the seat back which is a plus.
How can this be done without removing the seat back?
MVPxD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 09:33 PM   #5
Sephx1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPxD View Post
How can this be done without removing the seat back?
Release the plastic J-hooks under the seat, unzip the side and pull the seat cover up until you can reach the emblem.