#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 10-25-2023, 04:27 PM   #183
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLRob View Post
I won't go into heavy detail here, but I have been doing inspections for quite a while now and my most recent one being in 22 with another vehicle. Tons of rewrites from HPT, and no worries. The issue that this line of thinking will always run into is that there is no way to prove that PCM's have been reflashed by the dealers or even independent repair shops with access to factory software due to revisions, recalls, and TSB's.

Regardless, even if there was an issue, I could always flash back to the stock file. I have no problem and no lack of access in doing that myself.
Ahh interesting, so they aren't able to see what version of the tune is in the vehicle? And compare that with what SHOULD be in the vehicle?
Old 10-25-2023, 04:45 PM   #184
ZLRob

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
Ahh interesting, so they aren't able to see what version of the tune is in the vehicle? And compare that with what SHOULD be in the vehicle?
What should be in the vehicle is not really relevant because what originally came in these vehicles has long been wiped by either dealers or independent shops due to updates, recalls, or reflashes and there's no telling what should be in it you know what I mean? There is no basis for comparison is what I'm getting at. They are able to see what version of tune is in the vehicle, yes, but because a new version gets assigned every time it's rewritten and the CVN's are randomized there is no good, reliable way to know and prove without undisputable evidence that the vehicle is rocking a "performance modified tune."

Maybe there is something more to it than my level of understanding here, but from the conversations over the recent years I've been having with other tuners and people with knowledge of the system in general, this seems to be the general agreement.
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

ZLRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 04:53 PM   #185
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Drives: 2022 M6 ZL1 1LE
I was told CA obtained CVN numbers for all cars / tunes, and they can tell even if you put the stock tune back on, that the CVN numbers wont match... I dont know how works in practice... but was warned of this 2 years ago...

https://www.bar.ca.gov/arsc/newslett...-modifications

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...or-tuned-cars/

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/th...ftware.675702/
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
SOCAL.M6.ZLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 05:18 PM   #186
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOCAL.M6.ZLE View Post
I was told CA obtained CVN numbers for all cars / tunes, and they can tell even if you put the stock tune back on, that the CVN numbers wont match... I dont know how works in practice... but was warned of this 2 years ago...

Bingo. If Cali implements this across the board, the only real solution is drop in a new ECM and do a drive cycle.

I'm thinking Quebec is not as stringent as Cali. Granted, Cali isn't actually doing it across the board yet from what I understand, but if they do...

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 05:25 PM   #187
ZLRob

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
Bingo. If Cali implements this across the board, the only real solution is drop in a new ECM and do a drive cycle.

I'm thinking Quebec is not as stringent as Cali. Granted, Cali isn't actually doing it across the board yet from what I understand, but if they do...
Note that the state only acquired original CVN's. It's next to near impossible to predict and know what follow up CVN's will be. This includes reflashes due to aftermarket CARB EO approved reflashes for aftermarket supercharger or modifications requiring reflashes.
2017 Red Hot ZL1 A10 - Apex ARC-8's, 305/ 325 PS4's, DSX 9.06 12% Pulley, NGK HR7 Ruthenium spark plugs, Katech Oil Pump, LME tensioner, DOD delete, Cam, MPI lid, Soler ported 87mm (91mm effective) TB, Granatelli SS plug wires, Cordes LTR reservoir, DMS T-stat housing, Borla X pipe, AFe NPP exhaust, Black Widow Angry Housewife/ Venom 250 mufflers, BMR engine mounts, Banks iDash, Lithium Battery, Course Motorsports phone mount, AEM X- Series, HP Tuners, JMS, E85, 13.6 psi
737 HP/ 779 TQ

Old 10-26-2023, 09:55 AM   #188
clg82

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLRob View Post
Note that the state only acquired original CVN's. It's next to near impossible to predict and know what follow up CVN's will be. This includes reflashes due to aftermarket CARB EO approved reflashes for aftermarket supercharger or modifications requiring reflashes.
Those I would assume are in a database that can be updated by the manufacturer on a regular basis....
Old 10-26-2023, 10:06 AM   #189
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Which is why i bought my car new... so i could enjoy it for up to 8 years and watch how this fiasco evolves...
ALL the RED Rear End BMR Goodies + JRE Terminator Cam Package + Remote Tuning and Moral Support from TED @ JRE
BMR Motor Mounts + DMS Front HX + FIC 30's + APEX SM.10's + 305/345 R888R's = 770rwhp 785rwtq @E50 13.5psi
Old 10-26-2023, 12:43 PM   #190
clg82

Quote:
Which is why i bought my car new... so i could enjoy it for up to 8 years and watch how this fiasco evolves...
HaHa just stay away from those pesky road stops looking for things....or the dreaded referee lol for as beautiful as this state is they sure do make it difficult to live here.
Old 10-26-2023, 12:56 PM   #191
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
My province/state only cares about money, hell I already have classic car full replacement insurance (even though that doesn’t matter after this year,) and it’s a 2020, the only inspection I’m gonna have is if I have straight pipes and the cops stop me for noise violation
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 03:50 PM   #192
ZLRob

Quote:
Those I would assume are in a database that can be updated by the manufacturer on a regular basis....
Maybe... I haven't looked into it enough to be able to say one way or another truthfully. I'm pretty sure CVN's are a randomly generated thing with every rewrite no matter what article of software is writing it, but I could be wrong.

Quote:
The state can never get themselves right. You know that 8-10 years down the road from now they'll be on some new BS that they want to implement which is hell of unjust or just plain stupid.

Quote:
HaHa just stay away from those pesky road stops looking for things....or the dreaded referee lol for as beautiful as this state is they sure do make it difficult to live here.
I'm pretty sure those road stops that they do is hell of illegal. I have never seen one where I live but you can be sure if I ever do I would not comply. Matter of fact that makes me want to look up any laws that surround it's legality or lack thereof now. Lol.
737 HP/ 779 TQ

Old 10-27-2023, 11:15 AM   #193
2023_ZL1-AUTO

Drives: 2023 ZL1 - Modified All Bolt On's
I took the below information from a Fleet Management website my client has a login for. The data seems update, and it does seem several state do have what is called roadside survey inspections, but list participation is voluntary.

Here is state by state info:

Alabama - Does not require emissions check requirements. No safety inspection is required in Alabama, and it’s only enforced during the sale or transfer of the vehicle.

Alaska - No mandatory safety or emissions inspections. The only thing you need to drive is valid car insurance. Certain municipalities previously required inspections, but those mandates were suspended or discontinued.

Arizona - Phoenix and Tucson require emissions testing, but the rest of the state does not. In Phoenix or Tucson, you’ll need to get an emissions test every other year when renewing your vehicle registration. Car safety inspections are not necessary in the state.

Arkansas - No mandatory safety or emissions inspections. However, the Arkansas Department of Environmental Quality strongly encourages voluntary emissions testing. That means you can get your car tested for emissions, but it’s not mandated.

California - Enforces some of the strictest smog check requirements in the country. The part of the state you live in will determine what tests your car needs to pass. If you move to the state with a vehicle purchased elsewhere, it must pass a smog check before it can be registered. A visual inspection of your vehicle’s identification number is also required. For drivers of newer vehicles, you must pay a smog abatement fee instead of getting a smog inspection for the first eight years that your vehicle is registered.

The following vehicles are exempt from smog testing: Electric vehicles, A motorcycle, Natural gas-powered vehicle over 14,000 pounds
Diesel-powered made before 1997, Made before 1975, Less than eight years old, If your car fails its smog test, you need a certified state test and repair station (STAR) to remedy the problem, which in some cases may be due to a stolen catalytic converter.

Colorado - Most vehicles need biennial safety inspections. The biggest counties, including Denver, Broomfield, Douglas, and Boulder, also require emissions testing. Newer cars less than eight years old need tests every other year. Vehicles also must undergo an inspection when a change in ownership occurs.

Connecticut - Imposes safety inspections on commercial vehicles. That means if you’re driving a passenger car, pickup truck, or motorcycle, you do not need to get it inspected. On the other hand, all vehicles registered in Connecticut must get an emissions test every other year. Additionally, the state requests that VIN checks get completed when registering any car in Connecticut for the first time.

Delaware - It’s essential to complete safety and emissions inspections biennially (every two years) if your automobile or truck has a gross vehicle weight rating of 8,500 pounds or less. These tests are performed by the DMV; independent inspection reports are not authorized or accepted. Automobiles manufactured before 1968 and diesel vehicles produced before 1997 are exempt. Vehicles in the current seven model years are also excluded from these testing requirements.

District of Columbia - Residents’ vehicles in Washington, D.C., must pass car inspections and emissions tests before they can register it. While the DMV no longer requires that motorcycles or motorized bicycles pass inspections, all other vehicles must get checked. Vehicle inspections for personal cars remain valid for two years. To get emissions testing done quicker, Washington, D.C., provides a self-service kiosk open around the clock seven days a week.

Florida - No mandatory emissions testing, however, need to get a VIN inspection if you’re bringing an out-of-state vehicle into Florida.

Georgia - Requires vehicles in metro Atlanta undergo enhanced testing for smog. Vehicles that are three model-years old and newer remain exempt from emissions testing. According to the Inspection and Maintenance Unit, if your car is 25 years or older, you’re also exempt from emission testing for 2022, which includes any vehicle made in or before 1997.

Other exemptions include motorcycles, RVs, diesel-powered vehicles, and motor homes. As for safety inspections, they are not imposed.

Hawaii - Emissions testing not a requirement. But all vehicles must get a safety inspection once a year to check everything from your brakes and horn to headlights and turn signals. The inspection must be done at an authorized station, and you’ll need to bring your car registration paperwork with you.

Idaho - Does not require drivers to have periodic car safety inspections. The state has emissions testing programs in Ada and Canyon counties in the Boise metropolitan area. A VIN inspection may be needed before registering a vehicle not previously titled in the state.

Illinois - Requires annual emissions inspections for qualifying vehicles in the Chicago and East St. Louis metropolitan areas. The Illinois Environmental Protection Agency tests automobiles before residents can renew vehicle registration with the secretary of state’s office.

Indiana - Doesn’t require vehicles to have safety inspections. However, the state’s Bureau of Motor Vehicles requires a VIN inspection on vehicles not previously titled in Indiana. Its every-other-year emissions testing program applies only to Lake and Porter counties in Indiana’s northwest corner.

Iowa - No inspection is needed for vehicle registration in Iowa. The state does not mandate safety checks or require emissions testing for passenger cars.

Kansas - No safety or emissions testing requirements. However, a VIN inspection is necessary on certain automobiles before they receive a Kansas title and registration. The Kansas Highway Patrol conducts these inspections to verify vehicle ownership when bringing a car into Kansas from another state.

Kentucky - In most cases, car registration in Kentucky does not require a vehicle inspection. However, motor vehicles brought into Kentucky from another state must pass a sheriff’s safety inspection to ensure roadworthiness.

Louisiana - All vehicles must have an annual safety inspection, which includes checking exhaust systems and emission items. Five parishes around the state capital Baton Rouge have an enhanced inspection and maintenance program to help control motor vehicle emissions.

Maine - Vehicles registered in Maine must pass annual safety inspections. Residents in Cumberland County, which includes the city of Portland, must also have an emissions test for their automobiles every year.

Maryland - Requires that most used vehicles complete a comprehensive examination at a licensed vehicle safety inspection station before their sale or title transfer. The state’s vehicle emissions testing program applies to automobiles registered in 13 counties and Baltimore City. Emissions inspections occur every two years.

Massachusetts - Requires all passenger vehicles to pass an annual safety check and emissions test. The comprehensive inspection includes an examination of the car’s brakes, tires, horn, and other key safety components. Vehicles less than 15 years old with on-board diagnostic systems must pass an annual emissions inspection.

Michigan - Does not require an inspection. The state does not mandate car safety checks or emissions testing.

Minnesota - Does not require safety checks or emissions testing on passenger cars registered in the state.

Mississippi - No inspection is needed to register a car in Mississippi. The state does not mandate vehicle safety checks or require emissions testing.

Missouri - Requires that passenger vehicles pass a safety check every other year to assess the condition of the car’s suspension, seatbelts, headlights, and the like. Residents in the St. Louis metropolitan area must also have vehicle emissions inspections.

Montana - Does not require car inspections. A motorist can register their automobile through the state’s Motor Vehicle Division without performing a safety check or emissions testing. A VIN inspection may be used to confirm ownership.

Nebraska - Does not require a vehicle safety inspection or emissions testing to register automobiles. The state may perform a VIN inspection to confirm ownership and record the odometer reading, but there is no physical examination of roadworthiness.

Nevada - Does not mandate vehicle safety inspections. Annual emissions testing is a requirement for vehicles in 1968 model year and newer in Clark and Washoe counties, or the Las Vegas and Reno areas.

New Hampshire - Automobiles registered in New Hampshire must pass an annual safety check as part of the state’s vehicle inspection program. In addition to the physical inspection needed for all cars, passenger vehicles under 20 years old require an on-board diagnostics test for early detection of malfunctioning emissions devices.

New Mexico - Does not have a statewide vehicle safety inspection requirement. However, an emissions inspection is mandatory for automobiles registered in Bernalillo County. All motor vehicles in the county with model years 1987 and newer must pass the test every two years.

New York - Has a comprehensive inspection program for cars and light trucks. The annual safety check covers the vehicle’s horn, wipers, brakes, and more. For emissions inspection, an onboard diagnostics test is necessary for cars built since 1996. The OBD test is a computerized analysis of the automobile’s emissions.

North Carolina - Passenger vehicles under 30 years old must pass an annual safety inspection before the North Carolina DMV registers the car. A licensed mechanic examines the vehicle’s headlights, signals, brakes, steering, windows, tires, and other safety components. Along with the safety check, motorists in 22 North Carolina counties must have an OBD emissions inspection.

North Dakota - Does not require vehicle inspections. The state’s Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Division registers passenger vehicles to North Dakota residents without a safety inspection or emissions test.

Ohio - Emissions testing is required in Northeast Ohio around Cleveland. A network of self-service stations makes testing easier for motorists in The Buckeye State. Vehicles 4 years old and newer are exempt from testing, as are cars older than 25. The frequency depends on the vehicle weight and model year. There is no mandatory safety testing in Ohio.

Oklahoma - There are no required vehicle inspections. Motorists can register a car in Oklahoma with minimal straightforward requirements and no safety or emissions testing.

Oregon - There are no required vehicle safety inspections. However, residents of the Portland and Medford areas must test emissions control systems, depending on the car’s age. Newer vehicles under four years old are exempt. Portland automobiles manufactured after 1975 require testing. In Medford, the cutoff is 20 years.

Pennsylvania - All vehicles registered in Pennsylvania must pass a basic safety inspection, including the car’s horn, wipers, brakes, and more. Significant rust and frame damage must also be repaired before an inspection sticker is issued. Passenger cars in less populated counties are exempt from Pennsylvania’s emissions inspection program. Motorists in metropolitan counties are required to have annual inspections.

Rhode Island - Vehicle inspections occur every two years in Rhode Island to help ensure that vehicles on its roadways are safe and environmentally clean. The state’s emissions and safety testing program checks exhaust output and the car’s major components, such as the brakes, suspension, and tires.

South Carolina - Does not required automobiles to have inspections. The state’s Department of Motor Vehicles registers passenger cars without safety or emissions tests.

South Dakota - Doesn’t require vehicle inspections. The state’s Department of Revenue Motor Vehicle Division registers passenger automobiles without emission or safety certification.

Tennessee - Does not required emissions testing, this ended in metropolitan counties after the Environmental Protection Agency approved the state’s air quality plan.

Texas - All vehicles registered in Texas are required to pass an annual comprehensive safety inspection until 2025. A new law recently passed in Texas that eliminates annual vehicle safety inspections for noncommercial vehicles takes effect on Jan. 1, 2025. However, the Texas emissions inspection policy still applies to 17 out of the state’s 254 counties. Designated counties are in the metropolitan areas of Houston, Dallas, Austin, and El Paso. The emissions requirement applies to gasoline-powered vehicles less than 25 years old.

Utah - Removed the safety inspection requirement for most private automobiles as a prerequisite for registration. Motorists in Cache, Davis, Salt Lake, Utah, and Weber counties must pass emissions requirements. In general, cars with model years less than six years old are required to have an emission test once every two years. The vehicle’s model year determines if inspections occur during an even or odd year.

Vermont - Enforces yearly smog and safety checks for vehicles. Residents can visit one of the 1,600 stations throughout the state to complete the straightforward emissions test. Cars 16 years old or newer must undergo these tests.

Virginia - Requires an annual vehicle safety inspection to help ensure cars have proper equipment that’s in working order. Emissions tests are required every other year in the most populated areas of Northern Virginia. Motorists there can use the on-road emissions inspection program, Rapidpass. It allows a motorist to drive through the system to complete their emissions test in less than a second without visiting a testing station.

Washington - Ended its emission check program in 2020, after 38 years of service. There are no yearly safety inspections in the state, but vehicles still must meet strict Clean Car requirements. All Washington State passenger cars model year 2009 and newer must be certified to California emission standards.

West Virginia - Requires a yearly safety inspection. The inspection is mandatory, and you cannot drive without the inspection sticker in your window. However, there is no smog or emissions test required.

Wisconsin - Requires annual inspection for all cars. You may also need to get an emissions test unless your vehicle is diesel-powered or older than 1996. The seven southeastern Wisconsin counties requiring emissions tests are Kenosha, Milwaukee, Ozaukee, Racine, Sheboygan, Washington, and Waukesha.

Wyoming - Safety Inspections or emissions testing aren’t mandated. Residents are free to hit the open road in Wyoming without a vehicle inspection.
2023 ZL1 A10 - CSP 2" Long Tube Headers by Stainless Works | Gesi G-Sport High Flow CATs | Stainless Works Legend NPP Axle Back | Roto-Fab Big Gulp | Kong NM103mm | Kong X-Port/Polish w/Griptech 2.3" Upper | Granatelli Malevolent Coil Packs | Granatelli 0 Ohm Plug Wires | Katech Valve Covers w/Coil Relocation | FI Interchillers Blower Spacer Plates | Mighty Mouse Mild | JMS Flex Fuel Booster | DSX Flex Fuel Kit | DSX Billet Lid | DMS 2gal Fender Tank | NT555R2's 305/285 | AEM w/b AFR | Banks iDash Data Monster | HPTuners MPVi3 Module and Licenses (ECU & CCM) | Remote Tuned by Ted at JRE

Last edited by 2023_ZL1-AUTO; 10-27-2023 at 11:37 AM.
2023_ZL1-AUTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2023, 06:50 PM   #194
SOCAL.M6.ZLE
Having FUN in the SUN...

Well, with the Phase.2 mods finally complete, along with the custom K40 set up, new SM.10 wheels, and the custom crash bar, it was time to take some updated photos... and really just enjoy the car.

I am also working on a new video... stay tuned

I have a feeling PHASE.3 will be the katech Dual Fuel Pumps so I can run straight E, and maybe a big gulp... Stay tuned
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2023, 07:24 PM   #195
CalgaryZL1

Drives: 2020 Chevy Camaro ZL1
I really like the wheels, very classy!
CalgaryZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2023, 05:53 AM   #196
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Saweeeeet! Proud to be a part of your build. Hang tight a factory computer controlled port option is coming.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote