Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 10-16-2019, 03:31 PM   #239
mitdr774

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
Good news! Sooner they get back to work the sooner I can order my Camaro!
The sooner the dealer can get a replacement rear caliper for my 2020 as well. Also means I wont have to keep crossing a picket line to work the job I'm on that is under an agreement that prohibits a work stoppage.
mitdr774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:41 PM   #240
D.O.M.D1
Banned

Drives: i want a camaro
praise the lord, don't think that FCA and ford are out of the woods yet and why would Mack trucks get involved, they have a facility in Florida(Florida is a right to work state BTW) not to mention C8 production is pushed back to January(no thanks to the strike) and now people can get there parts for there cars that are stuck in dealership shops across the U.S. also it will take a while for GM to back to normal

not to mention what happen to the 1 million GM jobs that the Obama administration tried to save

http://http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/10/gm-and-uaw-reach-tentative-agreement-possibly-ending-31-day-strike/
D.O.M.D1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #241
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitdr774 View Post
The sooner the dealer can get a replacement rear caliper for my 2020 as well. Also means I wont have to keep crossing a picket line to work the job I'm on that is under an agreement that prohibits a work stoppage.
You would think that on a car whose chassis components are going into the 5th year of full scale production that there would be a full in-stock distribution network in warehouses across the country with every chassis component down to the last nut and bolt available now. They shouldn’t have to be waiting for a part to be produced. They should be in stock somewhere.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:56 PM   #242
mitdr774

Drives: 2020 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol Head View Post
You would think that on a car whose chassis components are going into the 5th year of full scale production that there would be a full in-stock distribution network in warehouses across the country with every chassis component down to the last nut and bolt available now. They shouldn’t have to be waiting for a part to be produced. They should be in stock somewhere.
The part is in a GM warehouse. The warehouse employees are UAW and are on strike as well.
mitdr774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 05:56 PM   #243
kbob

Drives: 2018 camaro zl1
I love how all union haters have a problem with what these people make per hour. You compare what they make to what you make ,get a different job if your not happy with your salary. They work for their money and want to maintain a certain lifestyle. The cost of living goes up every year, so why wouldn't someone want to make more. The middle class in this country is falling behind every year. There is never any complaints about doctors making an ever increasing amount of money every year. How is a person supposed to pay a 200,000 dollar medical bill making 30.00 an hour. You have a problem with union wages, You better address all aspects of costs of living. My mother was in a hospital for a month before she passed. We got a bill for 220,000 dollars. Please tell me how a middle class person is supposed to pay this. My father still has his house bills and gets 1400 a month. I support them in their efforts to maintain healthcare and get a cost of living adjustment.
kbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:09 PM   #244
Petrol Head
Account Suspended

Drives: Fast if no one's looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitdr774 View Post
The part is in a GM warehouse. The warehouse employees are UAW and are on strike as well.
Oh jeeze..... that’s sad that warehouse people would be in the union too.
Petrol Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:24 PM   #245
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbob View Post
I love how all union haters have a problem with what these people make per hour. You compare what they make to what you make ,get a different job if your not happy with your salary. They work for their money and want to maintain a certain lifestyle. The cost of living goes up every year, so why wouldn't someone want to make more. The middle class in this country is falling behind every year. There is never any complaints about doctors making an ever increasing amount of money every year. How is a person supposed to pay a 200,000 dollar medical bill making 30.00 an hour. You have a problem with union wages, You better address all aspects of costs of living. My mother was in a hospital for a month before she passed. We got a bill for 220,000 dollars. Please tell me how a middle class person is supposed to pay this. My father still has his house bills and gets 1400 a month. I support them in their efforts to maintain healthcare and get a cost of living adjustment.
I’m anti-union because Union people wouldn’t work side by side with this skilled non-union worker in the past. I had to return after midnight to complete my work. Not only that, but Union strikes effect many people’s life’s. Many GM owners suffered from this strike because of parts availability. Generally I’m fine with Union’s in the private sector (not public) along as I have a choice to go with the non-Union product. I don’t want to support Union’s with my hard earned $’s and knowing where they put a majority of their political support $’s. This strike has shown me that I need to rethink owning 2 GM vehicles as main transportation. This do to the fact the Company’s Union employees and the Union ties in the business may not be there when I need my car or truck repaired. No I don’t want to make their $’s because that would be a step down but would love to have their Cadillac healthcare (which was supposed to be taxed now but obviously some palms were greased).
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:46 PM   #246
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
I’m anti-union because Union people wouldn’t work side by side with this skilled non-union worker in the past. I had to return after midnight to complete my work. Not only that, but Union strikes effect many people’s life’s. Many GM owners suffered from this strike because of parts availability. Generally I’m fine with Union’s in the private sector (not public) along as I have a choice to go with the non-Union product. I don’t want to support Union’s with my hard earned $’s and knowing where they put a majority of their political support $’s. This strike has shown me that I need to rethink owning 2 GM vehicles as main transportation. This do to the fact the Company’s Union employees and the Union ties in the business may not be there when I need my car or truck repaired. No I don’t want to make their $’s because that would be a step down but would love to have their Cadillac healthcare (which was supposed to be taxed now but obviously some palms were greased).
And Freedom is Free too.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 08:35 PM   #247
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realist View Post
I’m anti-union because Union people wouldn’t work side by side with this skilled non-union worker in the past. I had to return after midnight to complete my work. Not only that, but Union strikes effect many people’s life’s. Many GM owners suffered from this strike because of parts availability.... Generally I’m fine with Union’s in the private sector (not public) along as I have a choice to go with the non-Union product. I don’t want to support Union’s with my hard earned $’s and knowing where they put a majority of their political support $’s. ... No I don’t want to make their $’s because that would be a step down but would love to have their Cadillac healthcare (which was supposed to be taxed now but obviously some palms were greased).
On top of those comments, I can relay this:

There was an instance my ex-BIL (who was union) relayed to me that they needed an extension cord moved. They couldn't move it because they weren't union electricians and couldn't take a "union brothers" job. So 5 of them waited a hour and a half (on the clock) for a union electrician to come and unplug it and reroute it.

Had another friend who worked for the school union. He had to wait 2 hours for the union mechanic to show up to pull the spare tire out of HIS trunk and change the flat because he wasn't allowed to.

On top of that, my son was in the food workers union, he would CONSTANTLY tell me that the other employees were mad at him because he worked too fast and made them look bad. He needed to "slow his work pace down".

I could go on and relate MY personal stories about dealings with the union(s) as well.

But, here is the point, if you want to join a union, great. I'm all for that. What I am not for is holding your company hostage when you are making a GREAT wage already and your greed is killing the golden goose and in the mean time making ME pay for it.

Companies are leaving/left in DROVES because, in part, they are being robbed by ungrateful employees.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:37 PM   #248
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
When I began working for GM I had zero choice but to join the Union. Yes, in the worst sense they protected workers who should have been fired. We made fair wages for ass busting work and had fairly good healthcare benefits. We were guaranteed to make 95% of our pay if laid off when was merely a supplemental unemployment benefit. Like most other jobs, we were entitled to unemployment from the state and GM supplemented that with the difference to make up the 95%. The entire purpose of this was to keep people working, not unemployed. Those of you who blame the worker for failed or poorly built products might want to consider the engineering or poor management for the problems which arose. I've seen plenty engineering mistakes which many of you blame union workers for. You just don't know wtf you are talking about.
Just like the pos cracking plastic dash on my Silverado. The union employee may have installed it but he didn't source it from China, GM did. The 2007-2013
GMC and Silverado have an inherent problem as well as certain SUV's. GM doesn't stand by their product which THEY design.
The Union employee simply want's to live a decent life and take care of his or her family. If they have to organize to achieve it then so be it. Owning a successful business comes with overhead. Just because you had an idea and wanted to build cars doesn't mean you get all the Beans. You have to pay people for their time and you just don't always get to make the rules. Robots are not likely to purchase cars or trucks and they sure won't keep the real estate market in business. Damn, we gotta have people working to run this machine after all. Meanwhile, I get my retirement check the first of each month. Don't like it, maybe you should go on strike and get your own.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:22 AM   #249
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by 396ssrat View Post
When I began working for GM I had zero choice but to join the Union. Yes, in the worst sense they protected workers who should have been fired. We made fair wages for ass busting work and had fairly good healthcare benefits. We were guaranteed to make 95% of our pay if laid off when was merely a supplemental unemployment benefit. Like most other jobs, we were entitled to unemployment from the state and GM supplemented that with the difference to make up the 95%. The entire purpose of this was to keep people working, not unemployed.
Totally understand you have to dance with the devil to work there. Totally understand paying employees during slow periods. Been there done that.

Quote:
Those of you who blame the worker for failed or poorly built products might want to consider the engineering or poor management for the problems which arose. I've seen plenty engineering mistakes which many of you blame union workers for. You just don't know wtf you are talking about.
Just like the pos cracking plastic dash on my Silverado. The union employee may have installed it but he didn't source it from China, GM did. The 2007-2013
GMC and Silverado have an inherent problem as well as certain SUV's. GM doesn't stand by their product which THEY design.
No one here has said that the cars are poorly built. 95% of the time it IS an engineering issue. Whether the issues are by design, or not, is a different story.

Quote:
The Union employee simply want's to live a decent life and take care of his or her family. If they have to organize to achieve it then so be it.
I've no problem with this either. Corporate/Owner greed can be a problem. Sometimes the only solution is to organize, OR find a different job.

Quote:
Owning a successful business comes with overhead. Just because you had an idea and wanted to build cars doesn't mean you get all the Beans.
HERE IS THE PROBLEM! Yes, people need to be paid. No, I do not hold a gun to your head and force you to work for me. We agree on a wage and you get paid. It doesn't matter how many beans I get. I'm the guy who sweats paying the bills, you, and everything else. I'm the guy who has to find the work, make sure the parts and tools are there, cover all the warranty mistakes, make sure there is money to re-invest, and on and on....

Simply, I'm the guy who put his butt out there and took the chance. End of shift, you go home. My shift never ends.

If it all fails, I lose EVERYTHING. You lose a job. So, ya, I do deserve more beans than you.

Quote:
You have to pay people for their time and you just don't always get to make the rules.
Actually, I do. It's my sandbox and you play my way. If you don't like it, go play in someone else's sandbox, or build your own.

If I don't run my sandbox right, no one works for me and I go out of business, or it is drastically reduced since I am the only guy.

Quote:
Meanwhile, I get my retirement check the first of each month. Don't like it, maybe you should go on strike and get your own.
EXACTLY MY POINT! You got your lil check, to hell with the company or people who make it happen.

If you don't like it, may be you should open up your own place and see how much fun/money you really don't make.
95 imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:29 PM   #250

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
...and gues what else? The non-union workers will get a bump in pay thanks to the union strike and contract. Without the union contract and so-called "high wages" there would be no reason to pay any non-union worker a decent amount at all in comparison. Thanks to the union, even the non-union workers will get a pay raise, and probably the workers in Mexico will do better as well.
I'm glad the strike is over and hope the membership will ratify the new contract.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:25 PM   #251
ZarusSS

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
...and gues what else? The non-union workers will get a bump in pay thanks to the union strike and contract. Without the union contract and so-called "high wages" there would be no reason to pay any non-union worker a decent amount at all in comparison. Thanks to the union, even the non-union workers will get a pay raise, and probably the workers in Mexico will do better as well.
I'm glad the strike is over and hope the membership will ratify the new contract.
As you said. Unions set the prevailing wages. I'm sure you non union guys love getting on those state and government job contracts where you have to be paid the prevailing wage or do you hate that because unions set that rate.Yeah thought so
ZarusSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:27 PM   #252
ZarusSS

Drives: Chevy Camaro
Quote:
When I began working for GM I had zero choice but to join the Union. Yes, in the worst sense they protected workers who should have been fired. We made fair wages for ass busting work and had fairly good healthcare benefits. We were guaranteed to make 95% of our pay if laid off when was merely a supplemental unemployment benefit. Like most other jobs, we were entitled to unemployment from the state and GM supplemented that with the difference to make up the 95%. The entire purpose of this was to keep people working, not unemployed. Those of you who blame the worker for failed or poorly built products might want to consider the engineering or poor management for the problems which arose. I've seen plenty engineering mistakes which many of you blame union workers for. You just don't know wtf you are talking about.
The Union employee simply want's to live a decent life and take care of his or her family. If they have to organize to achieve it then so be it. Owning a successful business comes with overhead. Just because you had an idea and wanted to build cars doesn't mean you get all the Beans. You have to pay people for their time and you just don't always get to make the rules. Robots are not likely to purchase cars or trucks and they sure won't keep the real estate market in business. Damn, we gotta have people working to run this machine after all. Meanwhile, I get my retirement check the first of each month. Don't like it, maybe you should go on strike and get your own.
ZarusSS is offline   Reply With Quote