#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-02-2019, 06:56 AM   #57
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artryan View Post
There was a video posted on one of the ZL1 FB pages yesterday. It's just reality. With a tune, the Supra is faster and cheaper based on what I've seen. I wish it weren't that way, but even an A10 can get beat.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that every Supra is faster, but you're going to start seeing more and more that are.
I saw that video. Driver wasn’t the best. Think about us tuned and pullied. Stock for stock they can’t touch us. GT500 appears to be a different story.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #58
pauly1119

Drives: 2018 ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4 View Post
We shouldn't be infighting and insulting ourselves here. We chose the same cool car so we have a lot in common. The transmission is an option. Who cares. Its like fighting over sunroof or not.

Think of all the idiots who bought Mustangs we should be insulting.
True
pauly1119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:45 AM   #59
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
If you want to be faster get the A10. If you want the pure joy of rowing your own gears get the M6. Simple as that
TheRealJA105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:55 AM   #60
Mister Will

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by viurniel View Post
While very good, it is not the same. You will miss some things like reving on demand, you will hear less at low speeds, if you like drifting.. say goodbye to that for the most part. If you are into 2step, then that is mostly out.

IMO the A10 fun is in the track and in performance mode. For me as a daily driver, I can be in traffic and not get worked up. In track mode, tap and release the pedal hard at any speed and it will immediately down shift and command performance shifting.
Reading between the lines, it seems a manual gives the driver more control of the car.

Sorry for my ignorance but what is 2step?
Mister Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:48 AM   #61
viurniel
@viurniel

Drives: 19 ZLE A10, 15 2SS, 90 300ZXTT
If you don't know - you probably don't want to know.

However, it happens at car shows. Videos do a better job at explaining it;
viurniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:45 PM   #62
TWG1
TWG1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZLE
I’m an engineer by trade, and I appreciate function above all else. I was dead set on M6 when I hit my budget target for ZL1. I researched and found consistent praise for the A10. One test drive and I was hooked. It is a marvel of tech, and IMO it’s the best part about the car.

I let my Brother in law drive it (944 owner, manual diehard), and once he found the ‘downshift trick’ (throttle blip) to enter PSM, he was a believer. I’ve never been a great car driver, but I was a competitive dirt bike & sportbike rider. To me, the ability to downshift an auto while decelerating is a game changer and gives me 95% of the feel of a manual. For me, it’s not the physical act of rowing gears that connects me the the car, it’s being in the right gear a fraction of a second before I need it, and this car does that more consistently than I ever could. The A10 is just amazing tech and I appreciate the engineering that went into it. I honestly brag about it more than the power.
TWG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:08 PM   #63
minn19

Drives: 22 ZL1, 20 Taco, 20 Cayenne S
Sounds like some of you guys would love a Tesla with autopilot. Then you don’t have to do anything.

Kidding aside this isn’t that hard. If you don’t like a manual in traffic during commuting or prefer to drag race then get the A10. Or because you just don’t like them, don’t know how to drive one or have a permanent injury/disability of course. But don’t think the tech will make you faster than a MT driver on a road course as that almost always comes down to the driver and not the machine.

If you still like rowing your own then get one of the better manuals on the market today and enjoy. While they are still here.............
minn19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:03 AM   #64
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
It does happen when comparing different options on these cars, and its unfortunate. These are mechanical devices and the results they produce can be proven with hard data.

I don't think anyone is arguing that an A10 isn't faster. But are all of the former manual die-hards switching solely because it is faster, and giving up the old school driving experience. But is the driving experience in the A10 just as good?

I think that is my real question all along.
Clarifying my other post in this thread. Sold my M6 for the A10, most part its because I feel that the M6 in the ZL1 is "broken", OK, LOL not broken but gimped from the factory because of wayyy too much throttle management at launch. Of course I love rowing the gears but the launch is also a part of the experience. Because of the gimped launch I would get pissed at the car and therefore pooped on the whole Manual experience.

To the one or 2 guys in here that say "my M6 car launches great OR learn how to drive a stick" put up or shut up, so us a video where you are launching the car. I know.... crickets...……...
Old 12-03-2019, 10:09 AM   #65
JonDaddy82

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Coupe NFG M6
Had you considered a tune before incurring the expenditure of trading for an A10?
2018 ZL1 M6 <- Not Daily
JonDaddy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 01:05 PM   #66
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Cliff notes anybody. I forgot where we were. Thanks.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:27 PM   #67
Mister Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Cliff notes anybody. I forgot where we were. Thanks.
Some good insight. "But are all of the former manual die-hards switching solely because it is faster, and giving up the old school driving experience. But is the driving experience in the A10 just as good"?

I'm still trying to imagine if the A10 can replicate the driving experience of the M6. Whenever I think of high performance driving I think of reaching for the stick shift and hearing the engine reving to match the gears.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:40 PM   #68
Mister Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1 View Post
I’m an engineer by trade, and I appreciate function above all else. I was dead set on M6 when I hit my budget target for ZL1. I researched and found consistent praise for the A10. One test drive and I was hooked. It is a marvel of tech, and IMO it’s the best part about the car.

I let my Brother in law drive it (944 owner, manual diehard), and once he found the ‘downshift trick’ (throttle blip) to enter PSM, he was a believer. I’ve never been a great car driver, but I was a competitive dirt bike & sportbike rider. To me, the ability to downshift an auto while decelerating is a game changer and gives me 95% of the feel of a manual. For me, it’s not the physical act of rowing gears that connects me the the car, it’s being in the right gear a fraction of a second before I need it, and this car does that more consistently than I ever could. The A10 is just amazing tech and I appreciate the engineering that went into it. I honestly brag about it more than the power.
We are definitely on the same page concerning technology. Thanks for the insight. I guess I'm having difficulty believing that an automatic can replicate the characteristics of a manual. It must when it goes into PSM. I know some older performance car guys who would never buy a performance car with an automatic who are now driving automatics.
Old 12-03-2019, 01:54 PM   #69
Mister Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
Clarifying my other post in this thread. Sold my M6 for the A10, most part its because I feel that the M6 in the ZL1 is "broken", OK, LOL not broken but gimped from the factory because of wayyy too much throttle management at launch. Of course I love rowing the gears but the launch is also a part of the experience. Because of the gimped launch I would get pissed at the car and therefore pooped on the whole Manual experience.

To the one or 2 guys in here that say "my M6 car launches great OR learn how to drive a stick" put up or shut up, so us a video where you are launching the car. I know.... crickets...……...
I wonder about this bog. Drivers say it is real. But if I may speak frankly, sometimes an issues seems to be bigger than it is because of a small group complain about it. Even a manual on a SS can give you trouble if you don't get it right. Pulling away from a stop is one of the best qualities of an automatic.

Last edited by Mister Will; 12-03-2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #70
rdrfronty

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE CRUSH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Will View Post
Some good insight. "But are all of the former manual die-hards switching solely because it is faster, and giving up the old school driving experience. But is the driving experience in the A10 just as good"?

I'm still trying to imagine if the A10 can replicate the driving experience of the M6. Whenever I think of high performance driving I think of reaching for the stick shift and hearing the engine reving to match the gears.
No the A10 will never duplicate the driving experience you get from a manual. The A10 is an excellent auto transmission, and it is quicker than the manual - but it simply can't compete with a manual for pure driving enjoyment. People who say otherwise simply don't "get it". It, being the joy manual enthusiasts experience when driving a sweet manual sports or muscle car.
I've only had my 6spd for about 5 weeks now, but couldn't be happier with it. I too considered the A10 due to all the hype on it. But I know now after owning the 6spd manual, that it's the only way I would truly be happy with the car.
Also note that I have never experienced any bog issue either. Though since my car is pretty new I've never done any super hard launches. But again a ZL1 1LE was never designer to be a drag car to begin with, so I'm not concerned with that possible "flaw" anyways.

Last edited by rdrfronty; 12-03-2019 at 02:54 PM.
rdrfronty is offline   Reply With Quote