Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 04-08-2022, 01:12 PM   #1
DorsoDuroJohn

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Another Strange noise thread. Sad but true

Hi all, 2021 LT1. 20k miles, wet rainy cold evening.

Had the rear seats down so the sound is probably more noticeable, but have never heard this before or since.

Sounded like a damn supercharger when i would get on the gas coming from the rear of the car, it was a higher pitch whine, and sounded awesome. But as quickly as it was there, it was gone, probably 45 seconds later after coming to a stop sign.

NPP exhaust
No mods

any ideas?
DorsoDuroJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 01:25 PM   #2
FlukeSS

Drives: 2020 Camaro 2SS A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorsoDuroJohn View Post

Had the rear seats down so the sound is probably more noticeable, but have never heard this before or since.

Sounded like a damn supercharger when i would get on the gas coming from the rear of the car, it was a higher pitch whine, and sounded awesome. But as quickly as it was there, it was gone, probably 45 seconds later after coming to a stop sign.

NPP exhaust
No mods

any ideas?
Sound tube probably, it amplifies intake suction sound and engine sound inside the car.

It sounds like the car is taking huge gasps of air when the car shifts right? Almost like a waste gate or blow off valve but not as hissing high pitched. More like if you clinched your teeth open your mouth and breath in fast through the sides of your mouth it would sound similar.

That's normal sound if that is how you describe it.
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
FlukeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 01:31 PM   #3
DorsoDuroJohn

I guess it could be that, it literally sounded like a supercharger to me. Not exactly like a blow off or waste gate. It was while on throttle, not shifting. For sure from the rear of the car.
Old 04-08-2022, 01:58 PM   #4
FlukeSS

Quote:
I guess it could be that, it literally sounded like a supercharger to me. Not exactly like a blow off or waste gate. It was while on throttle, not shifting. For sure from the rear of the car.
Weird maybe its not what I thought it was. Sure someone else will chime in if they have other ideas.

Turbo maybe? Not all turbos are loud or voicetress. More so smaller turbos. Have you driven a stock camaro before, would you know if you had a turbo?
2020 Camaro 2SS A10 | Rebuilt by: CBI Street Cars | 2" SE LT Headers | 3" SE X-Pipe | 3" MBRP Axle-Back | Pri & Sec Cat Deletes | K&N Typhoon CAI | LT2 Ported | 95mm ZR1 TB | DOD Delete | BTR Stage I Cam | ECM, TCM & E85 |Tuned by: Shane Hinds | Dyno: 510 rwhp 472 rwtq
Old 04-08-2022, 02:13 PM   #5
DorsoDuroJohn

LOL, it's an LT1 with the V8. No turbo's, no superchargers stock. Now if somebody said the factory installed one i wouldn't complain.
I've had a couple subaru wrx and STi's, so i'm familiar with the turbo sounds.
Old 04-08-2022, 02:25 PM   #6
FlukeSS

Quote:
LOL, it's an LT1 with the V8. No turbo's, no superchargers stock. Now if somebody said the factory installed one i wouldn't complain.
I've had a couple subaru wrx and STi's, so i'm familiar with the turbo sounds.
Fair enough, just that some cars have turbos and you wouldn't know they had them.

A 2016 Chevy Trax LTZ has a turbo, and no one would know it if they didn't look up the specs (*cough* also why Chevy stopped building them, because it was taking sales away from the Equinox because they were cheaper and had better specs than the base model Equinox)

Pontiac Grand Prix GXP or GTP has a turbo and no one would know it if they didn't look up the specs.

I guess what I mean is if you bought your car used, doesn't mean it doesn't have a turbo. But I guess you bought it new.
Old 04-08-2022, 03:46 PM   #7
NotFast

Drives: 2021 LT1
I've found that DOHC V8's sound like they've got a supercharger when you wind them out... a sound that the OHV small block does not.
NotFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 05:00 PM   #8
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Put LT, hi-flows, and AB on it, and you won't hear it!

Quote:

NPP exhaust
No mods

any ideas?
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 05:09 PM   #9
easttxss

Drives: '16 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlukeSS View Post
Pontiac Grand Prix GXP or GTP has a turbo….
Nope, those were supercharged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'14 Fusion Titanium 2.0T
'83 Jeep Wagoneer
easttxss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 07:08 PM   #10
FlukeSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by easttxss View Post
Nope, those were supercharged

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Were they supers? Either way point remains the same, You don't hear them.
Old 04-09-2022, 11:47 AM   #11
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
I heard a somewhat similar noise from the rear diff (high pitched like gear whine, like the gears were "singing") after I tracked the car for the first time. It went away after I changed the rear diff fluid (2nd change, shortly after that first track event). In my case, I'm guessing it was the fact that giving the rear diff a work-out on the track wore the grears in and created debris in the diff fluid, and changing out the fluid fixed the issue. The rear diff fluid on SS 1LEs gets dirty rather quickly! Not sure about LT1s.

You said you heard yours on a cold, wet evening. That was probably a low traction environment and gave your rear diff a workout, thus leading to some debris and the noise. Not sure why it went away on it's own. Maybe it took a while for the debris "sludge" to get diluted out in the pool of (realatively more clean) diff fluid, which sits in the bottom of the diff and acts like a resevoir).

If you are handy, you can always change the diff fluid yourself before the normal required service interval.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 11:57 AM   #12
DorsoDuroJohn

Rear diff fluid was recently changed, maybe 3k miles ago.