Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-21-2017, 10:36 PM   #1
gfxv2388

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS Hyper metallic Blue
Question regarding the automatic climate control

Does anyone know if the AC button is suppose to stay lit/on when the automatic climate control setting is on. The reason why I ask is b/c any time I try to turn off the AC button the auto button shuts off. However the system itself does seem to be maintaining the correct temp. Just wondering if there is a problem here. I really don't want the dealer ripping out my dash if it is not needed. Thanks in advance.
gfxv2388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:42 PM   #2
Racerman27410

Drives: 2016 SS 2SS
In the manual it says in auto mode the AC light can be on even when the compressor isnt running..... i am assuming that the light being on just means the auto function has access to it in case of need.

Mine works the same way as yours
Racerman27410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:23 PM   #3
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
Mine works the same, it's OK
Old 01-21-2017, 11:35 PM   #4
Canyon Carver

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1 SS
Mine is the same...I guess the argument would be that in heavy heat, the auto climate can't control how cool the car is just by the fan alone if the a/c isn't on. But when the heat is on - I wish I could turn the a/c off and leave it on auto. (I know, I know - it dehumidifies the air and keeps your windows de-fogged, I still like it off).

1SS - M6 - Silver Ice Metallic - Dual Mode Exhaust. Light, Simple, Fast. "If everything's under control, you're going too slow" - Mario Andretti
Canyon Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:12 AM   #5
nfboy

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT HBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerman27410 View Post
In the manual it says in auto mode the AC light can be on even when the compressor isnt running..... i am assuming that the light being on just means the auto function has access to it in case of need.

Sadly it seems many do not read the manual.
nfboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:37 AM   #6
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerman27410 View Post
In the manual it says in auto mode the AC light can be on even when the compressor isn't running..... i am assuming that the light being on just means the auto function has access to it in case of need.

Yep, that's pretty much how they all work. A lot of people would freak out if they knew their A/C was running in the winter. But it is highly advantageous in the overall design to reduce window fogging. So there is no light which indicates compressor activity.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 10:11 AM   #7
Stall

Drives: '16 Bright Yellow 1SS
Even when I turn the ac off after selecting auto, it still seems to control temp and fan speed automatically even though the auto light is off. It says temp and fan speed are in auto on the dash when you turn ac off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:26 PM   #8
PackersFan26

Drives: 2017 Summit White 2SS
What is the auto mode supposed to do anyway? Whenever I press it it's always way off temp wise
PackersFan26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:49 PM   #9
Michigan1LTRS
Blessed ❤️

Drives: 2017 1LT RS I4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackersFan26 View Post
What is the auto mode supposed to do anyway? Whenever I press it it's always way off temp wise
Hmm, I don't press anything. I set mine to 73 and inside my cabin is always very comfortable. If I need a little more heat I'll crank it up to 75.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:18 AM   #10
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackersFan26 View Post
You would set it to auto then use the rings to adjust the temps for driver/passenger sides or leave the two synced.
Auto mode controls the compressor cycling, hot/cold mixing dampers, and air direction/recirc dampers as well as the fan speed.
The advantage will be the fan doesn't blow cold air on you when the car is cold in winter. In summer, it should ramp the fan speed to high and close the recirc damper, then open it once the cabin cools a bit. Stuff like that is what auto mode does.
I set my temp to 70 or 72 and let the car do its thing. I have found these systems to work well in most vehicles, but have yet to see how the Camaro's handles hot weather. Some cars will even sense the sun angle in summer and increase blower speed on that side for a/c.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote