Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-19-2015, 12:43 AM   #1
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
My 1LE loves Craigslist...again and question about caliper bolts

I know many of you guys know I track, but what you probably don't know is that I am anal about having a backup for everything if I am driving 3 hours each way to get there. I bought a ZL1 brake kit a while back but could not find a back up...until today! so here are my new back up set that I just scored on. $1000 but I had to remove (front/rear cradles on the ground) them. What a deal. My question now: what tools are you guys using to get those damn caliper bolts off while on the car...It was hard enough on the ground! is an 18mm wrench and a small sledge hammer the answer? or?
Attached Images

backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:32 AM   #2
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
My 1LE loves Craigslist...again and question about caliper bolts

I split an 18mm 12 section socket trying to get mine loose. See my Weekend Mechanic thread. Someone suggested a box end wrench and a ball pien hammer.

-CRT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 04:33 AM   #3
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
I don't get it; so you already had ZL1 kit, but bought another one as backup? Why do you think it would ever fail?

If there's one thing that will fail, it'll probably be pads. You might get a backup for that
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:39 AM   #4
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
I use a socket, breaker bar and my right arm.

I have raced in NASA and been instructing for 17+ years. I understand pads and rotors......calipers is a tad overboard. Never once in all of that time have I needed or thought I needed a caliper at the track.
Old 03-19-2015, 02:18 PM   #5
backeddy
Banned

I have been racing since I was 15 (35 years), I probably have broken one of everything. 2 years ago I used all of my vacation and went 1500 miles to a 3 day event and on the second lap, a fractured rotor tore off the caliper and I had a replacement with me, so no big deal...easy fix. During the last session of the first day small steel bumper fell off of a car in front of us, guess where it ended up? The spaces in between the wheel spokes caught the end of it......Rotor and caliper.. kaput. end of my long planned, long drive vacation. Never again....

Just because it does not happen often, does not mean it wont happen on your way home tonight.....
Old 03-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #6
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Back in 2006, I decided I could go full throttle in the ramp since I had an AWD (STi), but it didn't work out and I hit the curb with my rear left tire, bending one of my control arms.

Himm, I'd better start stocking fenders and control arms. Just because it doesn't happen often, it doesn't mean it never will...
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:58 PM   #7
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
I have been racing since I was 15 (35 years), I probably have broken one of everything. 2 years ago I used all of my vacation and went 1500 miles to a 3 day event and on the second lap, a fractured rotor tore off the caliper and I had a replacement with me, so no big deal...easy fix. During the last session of the first day small steel bumper fell off of a car in front of us, guess where it ended up? The spaces in between the wheel spokes caught the end of it......Rotor and caliper.. kaput. end of my long planned, long drive vacation. Never again....

Just because it does not happen often, does not mean it wont happen on your way home tonight.....
Sounds more like bad luck than a potential issues for the majority. Because you have experienced two caliper related incidents it makes sense for you to carry spares. I guess I don't worry as much about track failures as I trailer the car to the track. If I break something and can't fix it I pack it up for the day and head home.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:11 PM   #8
Camarotobeornottobe

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
Back in 2006, I decided I could go full throttle in the ramp since I had an AWD (STi), but it didn't work out and I hit the curb with my rear left tire, bending one of my control arms.

Himm, I'd better start stocking fenders and control arms. Just because it doesn't happen often, it doesn't mean it never will...
Why so grumpy?

This comes down to simple risk calculations and a risk-aversion-to-pocket-depth balance for the OP. To each his own.

If only those ZL1 calipers were red
Camarotobeornottobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 03:11 PM   #9
backeddy
Banned

I wish I had the trailer option.....Just have downsized everything since my kids moved out, so no longer have the room. I agree, bad luck, but having everything with me also helps out other people at the track too....there are a couple of camaro owners running around on rotors that I brought! Don't know who they are, nor would I take their $$$, now if GM only treated ME that way lol.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:23 PM   #10
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Great buy!

Not a bad pick up if you ask me.

Don't mind the haters. lol
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 06:10 PM   #11
backeddy
Banned

Thanks kaboom, it was a great deal, everything is pretty much new, but man I have encountered some tight bolts before...but these were ridiculous! On the assembly line I can hear it now:"how tight should we torque these bolts boss? oh just go get that 8' breaker bar, that'll prolly do it...eh"
Old 03-19-2015, 07:28 PM   #12
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Well I know the brake caliper bolts are 30lbs + 90 degrees .....I'm assuming it's the same for the ZL1 brakes....don't have a service manual to verify though...
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:05 PM   #13
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Great buy!

Not a bad pick up if you ask me.

Don't mind the haters. lol

The deal is in this thread the op says he wants spare parts and is willing to express that craigslist is an excellent resource. Kudos And thanks.

OP. Dont let anyone question your motives or reasoning. That isnt why you made this thread.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:16 PM   #14
EarlyApex

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
Sounds more like bad luck than a potential issues for the majority. Because you have experienced two caliper related incidents it makes sense for you to carry spares. I guess I don't worry as much about track failures as I trailer the car to the track. If I break something and can't fix it I pack it up for the day and head home.
What kind of trailer dropspeed?