Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 09-12-2018, 09:58 PM   #29
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
Yeah and the loss of HP is gradual so most of you that think there is no change is because you are just used to it.
By the time I have to worry about a gradual loss of HP that is actually noticeable, it'll be well past the warranty and getting close to it either being sold or traded-in.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:02 AM   #30
Ebbsnflows

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1-1LE
My wife and I had a 2014 Audi A4 with GDI. We bought it in 2016 with 19k miles on it from a private party seller. She was a older (50'ish woman). The car was immaculate and had every single fuel receipt and maintenance procedure documented (by local Audi dealer). We had the car for 3 months (put about 1,000 miles on it), before it left my wife stranded on the side of the road. It was misfiring so badly it wouldn't even idle. We had it towed into the dealership where they advised us about the issues that GDI motors have. It required the heads to be removed and the valves/valve seats be cleaned.

I was not happy about this at all. I couldn't believe that Audi built a motor that only lasted 20K miles before it had to be torn apart. The service manager advised us to "often and regularly" run it to redline in order to prevent such rapid build up in the future. We kept the car for another 6 months and sold it (due to a myriad of other annoying issues with it).

I'm praying that the LT1 does not suffer the same premature degradation in performance and reliability.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:27 AM   #31
NW-99SS

Drives: 1999 Camaro SS M6 - SBE LS1
What's comical is that guys will spend more money on car care products, leather conditioner, wax, etc than a catch can would cost even though "it will be a trade in after warranty" - those same owners denounce the benefits of a catch can without ever having tried one...if you run one, you know what they catch, and why you would rather not have that going through your intake tract and across your intake valves.

After seeing the GM truck V8's with intakes off, I run one, even if the benefit is only slight - it's certainly not causing my engine to run worse.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
NW-99SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:43 AM   #32
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbsnflows View Post
My wife and I had a 2014 Audi A4 with GDI. We bought it in 2016 with 19k miles on it from a private party seller. She was a older (50'ish woman). The car was immaculate and had every single fuel receipt and maintenance procedure documented (by local Audi dealer). We had the car for 3 months (put about 1,000 miles on it), before it left my wife stranded on the side of the road. It was misfiring so badly it wouldn't even idle. We had it towed into the dealership where they advised us about the issues that GDI motors have. It required the heads to be removed and the valves/valve seats be cleaned.

I was not happy about this at all. I couldn't believe that Audi built a motor that only lasted 20K miles before it had to be torn apart. The service manager advised us to "often and regularly" run it to redline in order to prevent such rapid build up in the future. We kept the car for another 6 months and sold it (due to a myriad of other annoying issues with it).

I'm praying that the LT1 does not suffer the same premature degradation in performance and reliability.
I agree, poor engine design if that's the norm with that particular motor. I do agree with the service manager though, babying a high performance engine over a long period of time will promote these kinds of build-up. It's just common sense.

Anyway, I know I'd get flak for this, but I would not buy an Audi if you'd like to stay out of the service department as much as possible.
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 09:58 AM   #33
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Jeep JKU Rubicon
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
I agree, poor engine design if that's the norm with that particular motor. I do agree with the service manager though, babying a high performance engine over a long period of time will promote these kinds of build-up. It's just common sense.

Anyway, I know I'd get flak for this, but I would not buy an Audi if you'd like to stay out of the service department as much as possible.
A friend of mine is an ace mechanic. He worked at an Audi dealer for a while. The stories he told put me off Audis forever (not that I particularly wanted one anyway). FWIW, none of his stories were about gunk buildup.

Last edited by Emoto; 09-13-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Emoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:00 AM   #34
speedup

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
What can we do to help prevent this? can of seafoam every few fill ups, or catch can our only hope?

2017 2SS, Hyper Blue, 8sp, NPP, MRC
speedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:14 AM   #35
Nitefall17

Drives: Camaro 1SS A8 Vert
Speedup

I put a catch can on at 10,000 miles and pulled my intake for porting at 12,000 and there was a little amount of deposits on valves and intake ports on heads had a golden brown film on them. When I removed the intake the there was no signs of oil inside.
So catch cans do work very well. Fuel additives will not help sense there is no fuel running threw the intake manifold.
Nitefall17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #36
speedup

Drives: 2017 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitefall17 View Post
Speedup

I put a catch can on at 10,000 miles and pulled my intake for porting at 12,000 and there was a little amount of deposits on valves and intake ports on heads had a golden brown film on them. When I removed the intake the there was no signs of oil inside.
So catch cans do work very well. Fuel additives will not help sense there is no fuel running threw the intake manifold.

I need to check out a catch can. I had one on my 2002 C5 and was amazed at the crap that was in the can between oil changes.

For the seafoam I was meaning using it like the GM top end cleaner

2017 2SS, Hyper Blue, 8sp, NPP, MRC
speedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 10:33 AM   #37
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedup View Post
I need to check out a catch can. I had one on my 2002 C5 and was amazed at the crap that was in the can between oil changes.

I am unfamiliar. Does that mean spraying it into the air intake?
Old 09-13-2018, 10:52 AM   #38
NW-99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedup View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
I am unfamiliar. Does that mean spraying it into the air intake?
Typically into a vacuum hose that runs into the intake - which is effective but may trigger erratic idling/CEL.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 09-13-2018, 10:58 AM   #39
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Typically into a vacuum hose that runs into the intake - which is effective but may trigger erratic idling/CEL.
Only temporarily erratic, I assume. Sounds like a good idea to me. Are there down sides to doing this?
Old 09-13-2018, 11:16 AM   #40
Corvette_Mike

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
What is a decent catch can to buy with all the routing hoses? I am at 10k miles now. Also what about using a can of GM top end engine cleaner?

Last edited by Corvette_Mike; 09-13-2018 at 11:41 AM.
Corvette_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #41
NW-99SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emoto View Post
Only temporarily erratic, I assume. Sounds like a good idea to me. Are there down sides to doing this?
Only if you get to aggressive and throw an engine code. Other than that - do it with the car outside, you should notice some exhaust smoke with all the contaminants its cleaning from the intake tract and valves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette_Mike View Post
What is a decent catch can to buy with all the routing hoses? I am at 10k miles now. Also what about using a can of GM top end engine cleaner?
I run Mighty Mouse cans on my truck and Camaro. Elite Engineering is a sponsor on this page - their stuff seems to be very good as well. Both are in the 2-300 dollar range. I wouldn't bother with the cheap eBay kits myself, but I own my vehicles longer than 2-3 years.

Can't say I've used the GM top end engine cleaner but I assume it would work like the Seafoam treatment.
2017 Yukon Denali 6.2
Old 09-13-2018, 12:43 PM   #42
Emoto
Sure, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-99SS View Post
Only if you get to aggressive and throw an engine code. Other than that - do it with the car outside, you should notice some exhaust smoke with all the contaminants its cleaning from the intake tract and valves.

Can't say I've used the GM top end engine cleaner but I assume it would work like the Seafoam treatment.
If you end up doing it, it would be very cool if you posted a video or photo "how to".