Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-10-2018, 01:41 AM   #1
sonnydurden

Drives: ‘16 1SS & ‘19 1LT
Warped Rotor @ 31,000 miles???

So it appears I have a warped rotor at 31,000 miles on my ‘16 Camaro SS. When I brake at 70 plus strong vibration on the driver’s side. It’s weird because I have plenty of pad left. Don’t think this is under warranty. Perplexed because I drove my ‘12 Camaro SS like maniac that robbed a bank... not one issue. Practically babied this SS.. I guess I will get a slotted/drilled rotor. Any suggestions???

Last edited by sonnydurden; 02-10-2018 at 05:14 AM.
sonnydurden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:13 AM   #2
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
#1 cause of warped rotors: not torquing the lugs by hand with a torque wrench.

Don't let anyone use an air wrench on your car, ever.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 06:45 AM   #3
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Pad material on the rotor? Cold water on the hot rotors? Car Wash?
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:09 AM   #4
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
Parking brake on hot rotors?

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:42 AM   #5
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
#1 cause of warped rotors: not torquing the lugs by hand with a torque wrench.

Don't let anyone use an air wrench on your car, ever.
Yeah I always make sure they are torqued with the wrench. Have used an air gun to loosen lug nuts though..
Old 02-10-2018, 08:00 AM   #6
Wierd Harold

Drives: 2017 2lt rs
If you feel it in the steering wheel it's the fronts .should be warranty .ask to be replaced .if machined they will warp again . probably soft material in rotor
Wierd Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:09 AM   #7
Gunmetalmissle

Drives: 16 ngm ss
A number of years ago I adjusted my driving slightly based on this article from stoptech.

http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths

I have not had warped rotors since. Drilled and slotted is not going to address the underlying cause or prevent it from happening again.
Gunmetalmissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 08:43 AM   #8
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetalmissle View Post
A number of years ago I adjusted my driving slightly based on this article from stoptech.

I have not had warped rotors since. Drilled and slotted is not going to address the underlying cause or prevent it from happening again.
Thay article is truth. Totally agree!

One of the main things to pull from that article is ROTORS DONT WARP...

Mainly its just uneven pad material being deposited.

If youre driving hard and then come to a stop and keep the brakes on, that's ususlly where most avg drivers get the uneven deposits from.

A drilled rotor has the potential to make it worse. Rotors are nothing more than a heatsink. So drilling a rotor removes more material and will allow yhe rotor to over heat quicker.

In comparison to 5th gen camaro rotors, they run a 14 inch rotor vs current ss rotors which are only 13.6 in front. The newer cars are lighter, but reach higher speeds quicker thus may probably brake more often.

If you drove you last car hard, even though you say you baby this car, chances are you probably still drive relatively hard. I doubt anyone here is driving a camaro like they are driving mrs daisy...

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #9
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
Thay article is truth. Totally agree!

One of the main things to pull from that article is ROTORS DONT WARP...

Mainly its just uneven pad material being deposited.

If youre driving hard and then come to a stop and keep the brakes on, that's ususlly where most avg drivers get the uneven deposits from.

A drilled rotor has the potential to make it worse. Rotors are nothing more than a heatsink. So drilling a rotor removes more material and will allow yhe rotor to over heat quicker.

In comparison to 5th gen camaro rotors, they run a 14 inch rotor vs current ss rotors which are only 13.6 in front. The newer cars are lighter, but reach higher speeds quicker thus may probably brake more often.

If you drove you last car hard, even though you say you baby this car, chances are you probably still drive relatively hard. I doubt anyone here is driving a camaro like they are driving mrs daisy...
My engine was replaced at around 3000 miles on the ‘16. This LT1 never felt as durable as my L99. So I’ve been less aggressive than my last SS. This SS is a manual and if I can I break down all my gears almost to a stop. I try to stay off my brakes as much as possible.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:41 AM   #10
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmetalmissle View Post

Good read!! Thanks
Old 02-10-2018, 11:42 AM   #11
sonnydurden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wierd Harold View Post
If you feel it in the steering wheel it's the fronts .should be warranty .ask to be replaced .if machined they will warp again . probably soft material in rotor
I will take it to the dealer and see what they say...
Old 02-10-2018, 12:05 PM   #12
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnydurden View Post
My engine was replaced at around 3000 miles on the ‘16. This LT1 never felt as durable as my L99. So I’ve been less aggressive than my last SS. This SS is a manual and if I can I break down all my gears almost to a stop. I try to stay off my brakes as much as possible.
Understandable, however as said you are probably driving harder than you realize.

NOT Saying you are beating it to death, but when you baby a car makes it sound like you are doing 10mph UNDER the speed limit at all times and driving it like a 5 million dollar original 1920's car that thered only 1 of in existence.

Reality is, you are probably on it here and there. Nothing wrong with that, because thats what its meant for.

As said like the article pointed out. Its prob the uneven pad material. I just passed 50k, and have the 4 pistons and 13.6 rotors as well. They still have the original pads, a few drag track days about 8 autox days and 1 track day. Its daily driven 60 miles per day, and weekwed road trips.

Ive only had the pad deposit issue once on the 6th gen, so it can be remedied by doing the bedding the pads and seasoning the rotors procedure as long as you dont have crazy deposits. Some highway time with 70 to 30mph slow downs 2-3 times and about 2 miles to cool off in between is what i did. Leanred that trick when using wilwoods on the 5th gen.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:29 AM   #13
sonnydurden

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolynesianPowerhouse View Post
Understandable, however as said you are probably driving harder than you realize.

NOT Saying you are beating it to death, but when you baby a car makes it sound like you are doing 10mph UNDER the speed limit at all times and driving it like a 5 million dollar original 1920's car that thered only 1 of in existence.

Reality is, you are probably on it here and there. Nothing wrong with that, because thats what its meant for.

As said like the article pointed out. Its prob the uneven pad material. I just passed 50k, and have the 4 pistons and 13.6 rotors as well. They still have the original pads, a few drag track days about 8 autox days and 1 track day. Its daily driven 60 miles per day, and weekwed road trips.

Ive only had the pad deposit issue once on the 6th gen, so it can be remedied by doing the bedding the pads and seasoning the rotors procedure as long as you dont have crazy deposits. Some highway time with 70 to 30mph slow downs 2-3 times and about 2 miles to cool off in between is what i did. Leanred that trick when using wilwoods on the 5th gen.
Agreed.. the article is awesome. Definitely pointed out everything I “thought” I knew about brakes. Thanks for the input my friend
Old 02-19-2018, 12:57 PM   #14
TECHTURTLE

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I'm a little late here but my car had the same problem at only 9k miles. Dealer replaced all four rotors and pads. Almost 20k on her now with no problems.

Added
Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger, GM 1LE Sway Bars, BMR Upper/Lower Trailing Arms, BMR Upper Control Arms. BMR Front/Rear Chassis Braces, BMR Tunnel Brace. GM Red knee Pads, GM Black Front Splitter, GM SEMA Concept Grille, GM Dark Taillights, GM Ground Effects package... Savini Di Forza BM-14 Gloss Black Wheels 9's front, 10's rear.
TECHTURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote