Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 04-24-2020, 12:22 PM   #1
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro SS
First time in competitive mode- WTH?

I am putting on a supercharger soon and thought I would check out competitive mode before I added FI. I’ve had the car for two months and haven’t done it yet. So obviously I had no idea how to do this. I first peeled out with only stabilitrack off. No burnout, did spin the tires a little and some back and forth. Underwhelming.

Then I hit the button a second time for competitive mode. No spinning of tires and the clutch depressed itself, which freaked me out, I’m trying to shift and it won’t go into gear and the engine sounds like it is shifting like an automatic. Exhaust is popping, engine roars, but still pretty underwhelming.

Clearly, I did not expect the clutch to depress on its own. Is this launch assist? No idea how that works.

Also, on a serious note got a serious smell. I was expecting burnt rubber, but I got smell of a burnt fluid, clutch?
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Valkyrie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 12:54 PM   #2
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
do this...https://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html

report back...

Good luck!

PEACE
Old 04-24-2020, 02:27 PM   #3
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

Brake/Clutch fluid looked okay. There was some residue around the mouth of the reservoir.

The smell is like burning electrical. Does clutch fluid smell like that when burnt?

The transmission does shift a little smoother/looser. I like it but it may be a sign of something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankwjr View Post
do this...https://www.rangeracceleration.com/Clutch_Care.html

report back...

Good luck!

PEACE
2014 SS LS3/LSA Supercharger, 10% Super Damper, 2.55 upper, AGP Dual Pump, ID 1050 injectors, Pegasus solid rear cradle bushings, LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, Elite E2 catch can, E85 corn fed, 160 Thermostat, Monster Twin Disk, MGW Short Throw shifter, Tick Clutch Master Cylinder, HP Tuners, JL Audio system.
Old 04-24-2020, 04:35 PM   #4
Valkyrie14
Valkyrie14

I just drove it around and it seems okay. I don’t want to try competitive mode again. The way the clutch went in on its own makes me think this was launch mode? Am I just supposed to hit the gas and steer?

Never had launch assist before. I want to burn out, but with the technology it isn’t like my old 82 Caprice that would burn out any time I wanted. I feel like I need a class in how to burn out and do donuts in a gen V.

Did answer one question I had about the car, it didn’t explode at 7,000 rpms. It did sound like the engine wanted to rip out of the mounts and fly.
Old 05-12-2020, 12:11 PM   #5
WspoonSS

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie14 View Post
I just drove it around and it seems okay. I don’t want to try competitive mode again. The way the clutch went in on its own makes me think this was launch mode? Am I just supposed to hit the gas and steer?

Never had launch assist before. I want to burn out, but with the technology it isn’t like my old 82 Caprice that would burn out any time I wanted. I feel like I need a class in how to burn out and do donuts in a gen V.

Did answer one question I had about the car, it didn’t explode at 7,000 rpms. It did sound like the engine wanted to rip out of the mounts and fly.
There are a few threads about the dreaded clutch pedal fall at high rpm shifts. It is no related to competition mode
Old 05-14-2020, 10:32 AM   #6
R3VoLuTioN

Drives: 2011 1SS RS Synergy
None of these issues seem related to competitive mode. The mode basically just turns off all electronic nannies (stabilitrac and traction control) and sets a rev limiter so you can mash the gas all the way down and and it will hold a lower RPM for launch.

Competitive mode is pretty much useless on these cars. The predetermined RPM limit for launch needs to be tailored for your power level, tires, and road surface and this has a single setting which won't be right in most circumstances.

Competition mode is a quick double tap of the button.

PS: For a single time I had the clutch to the floor issue (was not in driving mode). Pull it from the floor by hand and pump the clutch, it's likely air. My issue never returned.
R3VoLuTioN is offline   Reply With Quote