Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-30-2021, 10:35 AM   #1
Christian1LE

Drives: 2004 BMW 330CI, 2022 1SS 1LE
Signed up March 3rd/4th VIR

Just posting this incase anyone else here is signed up for this event. Hosted by HOD. I signed up for Group A (Solo) since it is my first track day. I have done skip barber 3 day school and BMW 2 day school so hopefully they let me do the Solo instead of being required to have an instructor with you the entire day.

Anyone who has been to VIR before, what is there to know. Gas stations, Tires, ect. What is there around that area. I'm going on their website right now to research how things work around there.
Christian1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 05:17 PM   #2
Beescuz

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
I see your doing the full course with HOD. The full course is amazing. I have done it a couple times. Go to youtube and watch some videos with a ZL1. Look up David Kramar he has done the full course in a ZLE 1:57.
They have gas on site and the price per gallon for 93 octane runs around $4.75 gallon. To go offsite to get fuel is several miles away and you don't save much doing it.
It is going to be cold and it will take several laps to warm your tires up. If your running the Goodyear SC3R they are very slick cold. Take your time before opening it up. Display the tire screen and watch the tire temp. It really helps. Don't try to keep up with the drivers that don't understand you have to warm your tires up the first couple laps. Give them a point by and take your time. There are no trophies in HPDE. Once the tires are warm let it rip!
The esses, roller coaster, and hog pin is the most challenging areas of the track. The two straightaways are awesome and you will be rolling.
Enjoy one of the greatest tracks out there and have fun!
Beescuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:21 PM   #3
Christian1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beescuz View Post
I see your doing the full course with HOD. The full course is amazing. I have done it a couple times. Go to youtube and watch some videos with a ZL1. Look up David Kramar he has done the full course in a ZLE 1:57.
They have gas on site and the price per gallon for 93 octane runs around $4.75 gallon. To go offsite to get fuel is several miles away and you don't save much doing it.
It is going to be cold and it will take several laps to warm your tires up. If your running the Goodyear SC3R they are very slick cold. Take your time before opening it up. Display the tire screen and watch the tire temp. It really helps. Don't try to keep up with the drivers that don't understand you have to warm your tires up the first couple laps. Give them a point by and take your time. There are no trophies in HPDE. Once the tires are warm let it rip!
The esses, roller coaster, and hog pin is the most challenging areas of the track. The two straightaways are awesome and you will be rolling.
Enjoy one of the greatest tracks out there and have fun!
Thanks I'll check it out, I'll be on the SC3 unless it rains. Definitely plan on starting it easy and checking to see how the temperature builds on the tire through the PSI readings. I'll check out some of those laps on youtube and do a few laps on iracing with the corvette or maybe the Cadillac CTS-V. Thanks for the info.

Last edited by Christian1LE; 02-21-2022 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-30-2021, 06:27 PM   #4
Beescuz

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian1LE View Post
Thanks I'll check it out, I'll be on the SC3R unless it rains. Definitely plan on starting it easy and checking to see how the temperature builds on the tire through the PSI readings. I'll check out some of those laps on youtube and do a few laps on iracing with the corvette or maybe the Cadillac CTS-V. Thanks for the info.
Assetto Corsa has the full course and can do it in a ZLE.
Beescuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 06:56 PM   #5
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
Good for you in going to your first track day (after the driving schools)!

VIR is my local track. I'd suggest that you be happy to have an instructor and not be so quick to drive solo. Instructors can provide a lot of useful tips and help, both to keep you safe and to help you increase your skills (and speed).

Aside from showing you the race line and breaking zones, and helping you learn trail braking and off-line passing/corner entry, they provide a second set of eyes that you will definitely need during your first couple of times on track.

Why do you need a second set of eyes in the beginning?

As the driver, you have several jobs to perform simultaneously:

1) Drive the racing line, hitting your marks consistently (turn in, apex, track-out)
2) Keep the car properly balanced and maintain control, sometimes by modifying your inputs
3) Be aware of where the other drivers are at all times, both in front AND behind you
4) Consistently spot every flag tower station so you know if there is any danger around the next bend (several turns are blind, and the flagmen are your only means of getting advanced warning of an obstruction or other safety issue on track)

In the beginning, you will be so focused on what's immediately in front of you and managing the car that you will have a hard time looking in your mirrors and looking for the towers. The instructor can be your second set of eyes to catch the things you miss. You'll eventually learn to manage all these tasks, but in the beginning, it can feel overwhelming. So be thankful for instructors!
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:27 PM   #6
MightyBobo

Drives: 2022 VOM 2SS 1LE M6 Camaro
Quote:
Just posting this incase anyone else here is signed up for this event. Hosted by HOD. I signed up for Group A (Solo) since it is my first track day. I have done skip barber 3 day school and BMW 2 day school so hopefully they let me do the Solo instead of being required to have an instructor with you the entire day.

Anyone who has been to VIR before, what is there to know. Gas stations, Tires, ect. What is there around that area. I'm going on their website right now to research how things work around there.
Is your entire track experience based on 5 days of driving? Nothing personal, but that isn't very much. You will likely have an instructor for at least the first day, and maybe half of the second day if they operate the same as TrackDaze. VIR is QUITE technical, and unforgiving in places such as the climbing esses.

I got to do VIR for 2 weekends of racing, once with the Full Course, and the next with the Grand Course (which is pretty wild at >4 miles long). It's a top notch raceway, and likely one of the best you'll ever go to.

You'll be going when it still has the potential to be quite cold, with frost on the ground. Again, it's unforgiving in places - be PATIENT warming up your tires properly before you start sending it.

Full disclosure: I haven't been there since ~2014 - things may have changed.
Just getting to the track is a bit of an adventure. I stayed at nearby Danville in a hotel, personally. They have gas stations on site - it'll cost ya, but it's good stuff.

Here's some video of my last session there. Mind my yabbering with my father, he barely knows anything about HPDE so I was talking him through some sections in the most basic way I could. Enjoy when I went off at the end of the straight somewhere mid-video (it's not particularly exciting, just barely missed a braking point and my old crappy tires were getting cooked).

20211120 - 1100 --- 20211207 - 2500
20211208 - 3000 (TPW: was 20220103, now 20220124)
20211220 - 3400 (TPW: 20220110)
20220114 - 3800 --- 20220122 - 4300 (1LE Wrap Shuffle)
20220125 - 4B00 --- 20220129 - 4200 (Shipped! ETA: 20220223)
20220212 - 4800 --- 20220216 - 6000!

2024 Silverado EV RST First Edition on reserve, as well.
MightyBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 08:29 PM   #7
MightyBobo

Drives: 2022 VOM 2SS 1LE M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by N Camarolina View Post
Good for you in going to your first track day (after the driving schools)!

VIR is my local track. I'd suggest that you be happy to have an instructor and not be so quick to drive solo. Instructors can provide a lot of useful tips and help, both to keep you safe and to help you increase your skills (and speed).

Aside from showing you the race line and breaking zones, and helping you learn trail braking and off-line passing/corner entry, they provide a second set of eyes that you will definitely need during your first couple of times on track.

Why do you need a second set of eyes in the beginning?

As the driver, you have several jobs to perform simultaneously:

1) Drive the racing line, hitting your marks consistently (turn in, apex, track-out)
2) Keep the car properly balanced and maintain control, sometimes by modifying your inputs
3) Be aware of where the other drivers are at all times, both in front AND behind you
4) Consistently spot every flag tower station so you know if there is any danger around the next bend (several turns are blind, and the flagmen are your only means of getting advanced warning of an obstruction or other safety issue on track)

In the beginning, you will be so focused on what's immediately in front of you and managing the car that you will have a hard time looking in your mirrors and looking for the towers. The instructor can be your second set of eyes to catch the things you miss. You'll eventually learn to manage all these tasks, but in the beginning, it can feel overwhelming. So be thankful for instructors!
All this. Save yourself time and pain of learning the track by yourself as a Novice (especially learning bad habits and repeating them), and take the instructor.

20211120 - 1100 --- 20211207 - 2500
20211208 - 3000 (TPW: was 20220103, now 20220124)
20211220 - 3400 (TPW: 20220110)
20220114 - 3800 --- 20220122 - 4300 (1LE Wrap Shuffle)
20220125 - 4B00 --- 20220129 - 4200 (Shipped! ETA: 20220223)
20220212 - 4800 --- 20220216 - 6000!

2024 Silverado EV RST First Edition on reserve, as well.
MightyBobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 09:00 PM   #8
Christian1LE

I have no issue with taking an instructor, which is required for the group I signed up for. I honestly feel quite comfortable in a car, I know this is going to come off as arrogant and cocky but I grew up racing go karts.

I understand I am not familiar with the track since this is the first time I'll be driving it but I'm also not going there to set any records. I plan to drive at a good pace and learn the car. There are 2 different groups I could join. Group A Solo, and Group A Novice.

Even Group A Solo requires an instructor for the first session and I would like the instructor for that first session. If he feels I don't belong in the solo group I would have no issue moving to Novice. I however really don't want to get stuck in a group with people who have 0 track or racing experience.

We'll see how it goes, I requested a group, if I get shut down then that's ok.
Old 12-30-2021, 09:19 PM   #9
N Camarolina

Drives: 2021 2SS 1LE
The other thing for you to be aware of is that most (but not all) HPDEs are set up to teach you how to become a better driver on track, not just to provide you with track time. Being a good track driver requires skills that are not required for street driving, and these skills take a while to learn, and even longer to master. Thus, many HPDE programs use instructors in most of their levels, not just beginner or novice.

Seat time (with an instructor or alone) can provide you a necessary means to practice those skills that you've just learned how to do (with an instructor). But you can't be taught all the skills in one weekend; In fact, many track drivers learn their skills over a period of years. So again, while driving solo can be useful practice, you don't usually say goodbye to instructors just because you've been cleared to solo as a novice.
N Camarolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2021, 10:04 PM   #10
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
I will be there with HOD on the dates listed above. Hopefully I can help with your VIR experience. VIR has fuel on the premises and has good lodging with decent food. There is also a track service called Quantum to help if you need a tire swapped, etc. I am running group D and will have a garage. Look forward to the event!
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2021, 09:33 AM   #11
Christian1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
I will be there with HOD on the dates listed above. Hopefully I can help with your VIR experience. VIR has fuel on the premises and has good lodging with decent food. There is also a track service called Quantum to help if you need a tire swapped, etc. I am running group D and will have a garage. Look forward to the event!
Awesome! Looking forward to meeting you, hope we get some great weather.
Old 12-31-2021, 08:24 PM   #12
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Awesome! Looking forward to meeting you, hope we get some great weather.
ditto! I bring a lot of Camaro "track stuff". VIR also has a little retail shop for random needs called TMI. You will enjoy VIR but the first time on track there is truly sensory overload. Watch Youtube videos and learn all of the basics with the racing line. Be very careful with the track out blend line and pit in signals. Send me a PM if you want my number and you can text anytime.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 02:11 PM   #13
Christian1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
ditto! I bring a lot of Camaro "track stuff". VIR also has a little retail shop for random needs called TMI. You will enjoy VIR but the first time on track there is truly sensory overload. Watch Youtube videos and learn all of the basics with the racing line. Be very careful with the track out blend line and pit in signals. Send me a PM if you want my number and you can text anytime.
That's very kind of you. I will definitely get your information, currently on vacation throughout January but when I get back I will pm you. Happy 2022.
Old 01-02-2022, 10:59 AM   #14
Matpav

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
great track and tons of fun. I've done about 15 days there in my ZLE over the past 2 years. I agree with snagging an instructor for at least your first day to help your learning curve at VIR. Message the group running the HPDE that weekend and see about going solo after your first day. There are a number of places on track where you want to leave some breathing room for your first couple days as well as some lines that are faster in different cars. There are umpteen number of track walk through videos and a ton of 1LE cars with PDR footage posted for you to review before you go out there. The amenities are great at VIR as is the onsite shop if you have mechanical issues. Drive fast, be safe, have fun.
Matpav is offline   Reply With Quote