Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

AWE Tuning

Old 01-19-2020, 01:54 AM   #1
Coded4SS

Drives: 2020 1SS 1le
Clutch shake/chatter dead stop to first gear accel

Hi peeps
New car here 1ss 1le with 1k miles

When engaging first gear from a dead stop the car has a shake/ chatter releasing the clutch. I've tried more gas, that helps, no gas that's good but anything mid gets the shake. I've driven a lot of manuals and never felt this before. I can put the car in reverse and reverse it with very little shutter. There might be some there but it feels significantly less.

Do I bother with the dealer here?
Coded4SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 08:20 AM   #2
SSDan

Drives: 2016 1SS 6MT NPP
I get that every now and then even with 26k miles now but not often enough to worry over it. I just drive around it (more revs with a quicker clutch release when it happens). I just chalk it up to the challenge of driving a big tourque engine with a manual tranny and a dual plate clutch - not every launch will be butter smooth.

2010 Camaro 2SS Cam/Headers/CAI/3.91 gears
476 rwhp/440 rwtq (sold)
SSDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:54 PM   #3
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
It's not good, but I have experienced it on three of GM vehicles. If the clutch is releasing smoothly, this should not happen. I would consider flushing the clutch/brake fluid, replacing the clutch throwout bearing, and inspecting the clutch for oil contamination from the engine's rear bearing seal.

I no longer want dry clutches from GM and am fully into automatic transmission mode. I believe GM has given up on manuals.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 01:14 PM   #4
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
I just chalk it up to the challenge of driving a big tourque engine with a manual tranny and a dual plate clutch
No. The whole point of a dual disc is to REDUCE chatter on higher torque engines. You have DOUBLE the surface area, so you can reduce the clutch pressure and get the same grip. That extra pressure with single discs is what causes that chatter. Some people do report hearing a little noise which is the second disc kinda "floating" when in neutral and during slow engagments, but this isn't traditional clutch chatter, and it's not vibration that can be felt when shifting.

EDIT - Just to clarify, I'm talking about our clutch set up, as comes factory, with the dual mass flywheels, etc. etc. The twin/dual disc along with the dual mass flywheel handles the bigger power and daily drive-ability. If you replace a standard single disc clutch on your old classic camaro with a modern twin set up, it's likely to give you some chatter. -but our cars should be very smooth.

...of course, other things cause that chatter too. Abnormal wear, damage/unbalanced/uneven surfaces, contaminants on the friction faces like oil or trans fluid, etc. etc. It's definitely not normal, and definitely doesn't belong there. I can't feel it, so no way to know what's going on with your car. I mean to an extent, no manual is always going to be buttery smooth in real world driving, but there should be no "normal" shaking or vibrating. I've driven lots of modern musclecars with manuals, and none of them stood out as any harder or easier to drive than any other manual I've ever driven. Obviously some are more finicky than others, but there should be no correlation between horsepower levels and clutch vibration with a new, factory built car. I haven't driven a LT4 car or Hellcat for the record.

Reverse is better because the gearing helps reduce the chatter. I'd bet there's some oil or grease on one of the surfaces. I'd have 'em take a look.

Last edited by Abubaca; 01-20-2020 at 08:40 PM.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 07:55 PM   #5
Coded4SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abubaca View Post
No. The whole point of a dual disc is to REDUCE chatter on higher torque engines. You have DOUBLE the surface area, so you can reduce the clutch pressure and get the same grip. That extra pressure with single discs is what causes that chatter. Some people do report hearing a little noise which is the second disc kinda "floating" when in neutral and during slow engagments, but this isn't traditional clutch chatter, and it's not vibration that can be felt when shifting.

...of course, other things cause that chatter too. Abnormal wear, damage/unbalanced/uneven surfaces, contaminants on the friction faces like oil or trans fluid, etc. etc. It's definitely not normal, and definitely doesn't belong there. I can't feel it, so no way to know what's going on with your car. I mean to an extent, no manual is always going to be buttery smooth in real world driving, but there should be no "normal" shaking or vibrating. I've driven lots of modern musclecars with manuals, and none of them stood out as any harder or easier to drive than any other manual I've ever driven. Obviously some are more finicky than others, but there should be no correlation between horsepower levels and clutch vibration with a new, factory built car. I haven't driven a LT4 car or Hellcat for the record.

Reverse is better because the gearing helps reduce the chatter. I'd bet there's some oil or grease on one of the surfaces. I'd have 'em take a look.
Thanks man.

Today in the oarking lot, i let out the clutch from dead stop very very slowley. It had no chatter. Smooth. It only comes on with medium throttle and now i think even less... Is it possible im letting out the clutch too slowely causing it? Or it should not happen at all i suppose is the point.

I really dont like the dealer, but the last one only over filled my oil a bit so maybe they are ok lol
Old 01-20-2020, 08:51 PM   #6
Abubaca

Well think about it like this. The engine/flywheel is rotating at what, 2 or 3 thousand RPMs, right? Give or take. The clutch disc/transmission is dead stopped. Zero rpms. The slower you engage, the less stress is put on the system. Over time that slow application can burn up a clutch as it's slipping quite a bit, building up heat, but the engagement to you as the drive feels smooth. ....as you let the pedal out faster....you get less slip, right? Too fast, and the car lurches and you stall. That chatter you feel is when you're not quite letting it out TOO fast. The car doesn't quite stall, but the clutch disc and the flywheel are fighting each other. The engine doesn't quite have the speed to get the car going smoothly, and that big girl doesn't wanna get up and go!

The question is, how fast is too fast? All I can say is what I've said before. This car's clutch engagement is no different than any other car or truck I've ever driven. -and I've driven hundreds. It should NOT shudder, or shake, or vibrate 95% of the time under normal driving. Ever now and then, sure. We're all human. But from the sound of things....there's an issue. I'd have it looked at.

Also wanted to point out something I said earlier. SSDan mentioned our dual/twin disc clutches being harder to drive, and I said that wasn't true. Generally speaking, on aftermarket systems not set up for twin discs, this IS true, as he says. On OUR cars, we have dual mass flywheel which basically absorbs some of that vibration. That, and countless hours of world class engineers fine tuning the car. OUR cars have NO driveability issues due to the dual disc system.
Old 01-20-2020, 10:41 PM   #7
Coded4SS

Quote:
Well think about it like this. The engine/flywheel is rotating at what, 2 or 3 thousand RPMs, right? Give or take. The clutch disc/transmission is dead stopped. Zero rpms. The slower you engage, the less stress is put on the system. Over time that slow application can burn up a clutch as it's slipping quite a bit, building up heat, but the engagement to you as the drive feels smooth. ....as you let the pedal out faster....you get less slip, right? Too fast, and the car lurches and you stall. That chatter you feel is when you're not quite letting it out TOO fast. The car doesn't quite stall, but the clutch disc and the flywheel are fighting each other. The engine doesn't quite have the speed to get the car going smoothly, and that big girl doesn't wanna get up and go!

The question is, how fast is too fast? All I can say is what I've said before. This car's clutch engagement is no different than any other car or truck I've ever driven. -and I've driven hundreds. It should NOT shudder, or shake, or vibrate 95% of the time under normal driving. Ever now and then, sure. We're all human. But from the sound of things....there's an issue. I'd have it looked at.

Also wanted to point out something I said earlier. SSDan mentioned our dual/twin disc clutches being harder to drive, and I said that wasn't true. Generally speaking, on aftermarket systems not set up for twin discs, this IS true, as he says. On OUR cars, we have dual mass flywheel which basically absorbs some of that vibration. That, and countless hours of world class engineers fine tuning the car. OUR cars have NO driveability issues due to the dual disc system.

cool man i appreciate the thorough response. Before i bought the car, the salesmen told me i was doing really well with the clutch "much better then the guy before you". Jesus im hiping he didint burn it up.

Ill hit up the dealer and see what they say n go from there.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:44 AM   #8
Abubaca

Let us know what happens...
Old 01-22-2020, 11:25 AM   #9
Coded4SS

Quote:
Will do. Goes in tomorrow morning. I should know by mid day.
Old 01-23-2020, 07:46 PM   #10
Coded4SS

Quote:
Well pretty much nada. Dealer had it gave it to the transmission guys to gander. They all say things are fine. I'ma just keep driving it. It's not as often noticeable. If it gets worse I'll just kill it and get a new one. But I guess we're good
Old 03-14-2020, 03:06 AM   #11
Coded4SS

Going to dealer I bought the car from Tuesday. Will update then
Old 12-31-2021, 04:47 PM   #12
Bwaahhh

Drives: 2019 SS 1LE
Coded4SS, I am now experiencing the same issue in my 2019 1LE. Any update?
Bwaahhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 05:35 PM   #13
kevdawg

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE; 2000 Firehawk
I feel this same issue from time to time on my 2017 SS 1LE @ 32K miles. It seriously comes and goes. Super frustrating. I typically drive around it as well and it goes away, but when it happens, it's minimal but ugly. I'll keep driving around it until it's time to replace it or becomes a problem I guess.
kevdawg is offline   Reply With Quote