Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Member Car Journals

AWE Tuning

Old 11-07-2020, 12:22 PM   #57
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
I went to Atco last night...

The last Atco Friday night this year (hopefully not forever).

The Sinister Mustang was there but we did not get a chance to run. However others have mentioned this besides myself that my Camaro LT1 with just tires and a CAI is as fast as any automatic Camaro SS or Mustang GT. It is the lightest car of the three. And a bit faster than any 392 powered Dodge with the same mods.

My theory about the LT1 model has proven to be true as far as I can prove it. . I am a second tier manual driver. I only made it to number 10 on the SS M6 stock drag list, and I am sure faster times have been accomplished and never were recorded. I bet a better driver like Snowblind who dissects every run to go faster would already have my LT1 in the 11s. But even an all thumbs old man like me can get a 12.10 out of a basically stock M6 LT1 even without mineshaft air. Flame-suit on!

Last night the drive in street lanes 9 and 10 turned out to be 7, 8, 9,and 10. This is fun but the problem is some really fast cars with inexperienced drivers. Two of them hit the wall. I was there at 4:30 PM and got my first run at 6 PM and my second at 8:30 PM. So even though thhis may be my last Atco night I went home after my okay second run.

Wierdly in line for the first run this guy in a pretty fast 11 second Honda next to me revved his car for about 1/2 hour before the first run and waiting for the second one I was next to a clapped old Nissan. That Nissan had a busted starter and had his friends push start him. Even at idle it was loud.

My first run was weird. I hit my shifts but the car did not feel right, but I thought oh well, it should be good:
12.447@114.01 with a 1.978 60’ Slow!!

That clapped out Honda ran 11.371@128.11, but I won!! I treed him with my sorry ass 0.352 RT to his napping turbo spooling 1.580. I heard him coming but I nailed the 3-4. It was a great race.

Sitting in line for two hours I realized I the LT1 was not fully warmed up!! DOH!

My second run was back to being good so I went home:
12.186@115.59.

Snowblind was there and once again setting national C8 light Bolton records.

Hopefully more to come.....
You are doing a great job Fraxum... especially well because your doing it with a manual. BTW what is your exact tire size your running in the rear and what brand drag radial. Really curious how tall or short the tire is compared to the stock tire 245 40 20 on the LT1 which is 27.7 inches tall.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 11:24 AM   #58
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
You are doing a great job Fraxum... especially well because your doing it with a manual. BTW what is your exact tire size your running in the rear and what brand drag radial. Really curious how tall or short the tire is compared to the stock tire 245 40 20 on the LT1 which is 27.7 inches tall.
Thanks! My DRs are the exact same height as the front stockers to keep Stabilitrac happy. I could get a shorter DR but then I would have to get skinnies which are not much fun to drive on. I dont want to keep switching out wheels. The car drives great on the ET Streets. Just if I decide to get sporty on the corners I have to keep in mind the low limits of the fronts. The rear sticks like glue. The steering is so good if you pay attention you can feel the fronts breaking free.

Next Spring I will put on my MRR 1LE replicas. I can still run the DR rears if I want since they will be the same height. On the 1LE wheels I will mount 1LE tire sizes. Trying to decide which tires. I had this set up on my '16 SS and it handled pretty close to my ZL1 without the Ediff. I think that EDiff only is effective on a race track. 40 pounds of extra weight and additional complexity without much benefit the way I run these cars. But a very cool piece of technology in a somewhat reasonably priced car.
Old 11-08-2020, 12:27 PM   #59
lt4camaro

Quote:
Thanks! My DRs are the exact same height as the front stockers to keep Stabilitrac happy. I could get a shorter DR but then I would have to get skinnies which are not much fun to drive on. I dont want to keep switching out wheels. The car drives great on the ET Streets. Just if I decide to get sporty on the corners I have to keep in mind the low limits of the fronts. The rear sticks like glue. The steering is so good if you pay attention you can feel the fronts breaking free.

Next Spring I will put on my MRR 1LE replicas. I can still run the DR rears if I want since they will be the same height. On the 1LE wheels I will mount 1LE tire sizes. Trying to decide which tires. I had this set up on my '16 SS and it handled pretty close to my ZL1 without the Ediff. I think that EDiff only is effective on a race track. 40 pounds of extra weight and additional complexity without much benefit the way I run these cars. But a very cool piece of technology in a somewhat reasonably priced car.
So what size are your ET streets ?
Old 11-09-2020, 06:47 AM   #60
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
So what size are your ET streets ?
305/45 17"

These tires are really great street tires which mostly work at the Drag Strip. Like the Nitto R555Rs. But that tire is a little too tall in a 20" which can throw a code and affect the speedometer. Toyos R888Rs are the third best of the three traction wise. They can mostly hold a stock ZL1 on the street, but they are noisy and the compound is a little too soft when you have to change tires every time you change your oil. Too much work and $$.

These ET Streets will mostly hold a stock ZL1 at the Drag Strip when I ran my only 2 11.1s. My goal was to get a 10 mostly stock. I did not get there. I did not go to Cecil often enough.

If I knew about how good these tires are on the street I might have bought a M6 ZL1 and still have it.

So no regrets about my path and if anything bad happens to my LT1 I will get a used M6 ZL1, and add a RotoFab and these 17s.

The color even matches the ZL1 wheel color almost and it is cool driving around with the Drag Stars. People who know what these wheels mean (it's not a spare tire! LOL) come up to me and start talking about thier car or going to Atco.

Last edited by Fraxum; 11-09-2020 at 07:01 AM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:38 AM   #61
lt4camaro

Quote:
305/45 17"

These tires are really great street tires which mostly work at the Drag Strip. Like the Nitto R555Rs. But that tire is a little too tall in a 20" which can throw a code and affect the speedometer. Toyos R888Rs are the third best of the three traction wise. They can mostly hold a stock ZL1 on the street, but they are noisy and the compound is a little too soft when you have to change tires every time you change your oil. Too much work and $$.

These ET Streets will mostly hold a stock ZL1 at the Drag Strip when I ran my only 2 11.1s. My goal was to get a 10 mostly stock. I did not get there. I did not go to Cecil often enough.

If I knew about how good these tires are on the street I might have bought a M6 ZL1 and still have it.

So no regrets about my path and if anything bad happens to my LT1 I will get a used M6 ZL1, and add a RotoFab and these 17s.

The color even matches the ZL1 wheel color almost and it is cool driving around with the Drag Stars. People who know what these wheels mean (it's not a spare tire! LOL) come up to me and start talking about thier car or going to Atco.
Thank You
Old 02-22-2021, 10:28 PM   #62
The White Devil

Drives: Rally Green LT1
Stupid question for Fraxum or anyone with a manual LT1,,,,,does it have no lift shift? I thought someone on here said it doesn't????
The White Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 06:41 AM   #63
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by The White Devil View Post
Stupid question for Fraxum or anyone with a manual LT1,,,,,does it have no lift shift? I thought someone on here said it doesn't????
Hello. For sure the LT1 M6 model has NLS. I use it at Atco for the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts most of the time. And also the LT1 gets the TR6060 6 speed, one of the best out there for V8 muscle.

Here is a thread on LT1 - SS differences
Old 03-07-2021, 02:48 PM   #64
Fraxum

Two of my runs at Atco lastAugust:

Many thanks to to Dave Milcarek Photography ! He has been taking pics at Atco for quite a while. I might try to dig up the last 5 Camaros that I have run at Atco. A wall of Camaros!

Another 50 HP and a tune to get rid of the GM bog I think I could get a little air under 1 wheel. Or am I dreaming?

I am also hoping for another Season of drag racing before Atco closes.
Old 10-09-2021, 04:07 PM   #65
Fraxum

I now have completed my LT1 look for now. I went with Nittos in 1LE sizes. The backs are DRs. They Stick on the street! I am still loving the LT1!

[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

[/CENTER]

Thank you Jennifer for this tag! Did Becky arrange this as well along with my birthday build? I miss her. Mine was one of her last deliveries. It makes my LT1 even more special.
[/CENTER]
Old 11-24-2021, 08:51 AM   #66
Fraxum

Hmmm. While I love the look of my LT1, I know most like a rear spoiler.

But my minimalist view of Aero add ons is they are not functional at real world road speeds.

So to me they just add weight with no benefit.

But I do agree the back of the current Camaro looks better with a spoiler.

So my thought is to carry the red theme to the back of the car.

But I do not think a wide red stripe on the trunk will look right.

Maybe something carrying the side spear stripe theme.

Any ideas out there?

Old 04-11-2022, 03:20 PM   #67
98ss1le

Drives: 98SS1LE, 02EBZ06
I really enjoyed reading your camaro journey. I want a new Camaro and the information you have shared really helps me. I dont track but I want the LT1 motor and it looks like I may just order an LT1 spec'd to my liking. I own 1998 SS 1LE a 1 of 3 car and an 02 Corvette Z06 but the 6th gen Camaro drivetrain and chassis has me wanting a new one. I really like manuals and this year may be my last opportunity for a new one and I turn 60 this year so maybe time for an upgrade. As far a a rear spoiler goes your car looks good without one but I think I am gonna spec the new lip spoiler from the factory just can't decide on black or the color of the car which will be Riverside Blue. Once again thanks for all of your scoop.
98ss1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 08:45 AM   #68
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98ss1le View Post
I really enjoyed reading your camaro journey. I want a new Camaro and the information you have shared really helps me. I dont track but I want the LT1 motor and it looks like I may just order an LT1 spec'd to my liking. I own 1998 SS 1LE a 1 of 3 car and an 02 Corvette Z06 but the 6th gen Camaro drivetrain and chassis has me wanting a new one. I really like manuals and this year may be my last opportunity for a new one and I turn 60 this year so maybe time for an upgrade. As far a a rear spoiler goes your car looks good without one but I think I am gonna spec the new lip spoiler from the factory just can't decide on black or the color of the car which will be Riverside Blue. Once again thanks for all of your scoop.
Thanks! The Gen6 (or CA6) Camaro is the last and best of the sports muscle breed. A BMW 3 Series (back when they were awesome) with a small block Chevy! The TR6060 M6, Bose, and Recaros are highly recommended. The LT1 to me is the lightest and the pinnacle of a somewhat affordable sports/muscle car. And it has the SS suspension.

But I recommend better tires than stock. With TC off be prepared to go sideways on the 1-2 NLS shift if you get the M6. Exciting but stupid!
Old 08-31-2022, 12:50 PM   #69
Fraxum

Goodbye Camaro fans. I decided to do my part saving our world moving away from gasoline and move towards a Plugin Hybrid.

Electric will never be as much fun as I had with all of the Mustangs and Camaros, and a TransAm.

But to save the world for our grand children I need to finally grow up.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:52 PM   #70
Fraxum

And I have stuff to sell once get around to it.