Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 01-27-2021, 09:25 PM   #1
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Change Engine Oil Soon

I had been wondering when/if I would get a prompt like this and it finally happened, with 6% oil life left. I’m a bit surprised it didn't turn on sooner. Barely have 3k miles on the current oil so I’m not in a rush to change it. It has almost been a year though.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:27 PM   #2
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Drives: 2020 2SS - A10, NPP, MRC, CAI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn View Post
I had been wondering when/if I would get a prompt like this and it finally happened, with 6% oil life left. I’m a bit surprised it didn't turn on sooner. Barely have 3k miles on the current oil so I’m not in a rush to change it. It has almost been a year though.
It is a calculation that is based on driving and time, basically I have heard you could change the oil, let the car sit for a year and start it up and oil life remaining would be close to 0%...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
2SS Capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 09:38 PM   #3
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Yep, time can be killer, if you don’t drive it much. By the time I’m at 2700 miles ( currently 2600), I’ll be on my second oil change. 30 quarts of oil will have come and gone since she was built, March of 2019.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 10:23 PM   #4
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
Yep, time can be killer, if you don’t drive it much. By the time I’m at 2700 miles ( currently 2600), I’ll be on my second oil change. 30 quarts of oil will have come and gone since she was built, March of 2019.
I'm getting ready for the last 10 qts of the 30 qts I originally bought, I have 3,484 miles and the car is exactly 1 year old since delivery... I changed at 505 & 1,500 miles... This one will be somewhere between 3,500 and 4,000 miles, but the oil life indicator is ticking down based more on time than mileage/driving...
Added after delivery: - GMP CAI, GMP Black Strut Tower Brace, MRR017 1LE Wheels, SS Armrest, Black Fuel Door, Stainless Sport Pedals, SS Wheel Caps, Black Lugs/Locks, GM Splash Guards, DD Smoked LED Markers, Smoked Rear Reflectors, Mishimoto Catch Can, Xpel PPF - Full Front, SunTek 35% Tint, CeramicPro coating, RST Stainless Brake Lines, Castrol SRF, MSD Super Conductor Wires

Left: My "fun" ride. Right: My "work" ride: a Gulfstream G600. One's top speed is 180 Mph, the other, 620 Mph...
Old 01-27-2021, 10:37 PM   #5
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Quote:
It will be okay to wait a little longer to change the oil. I usually wait until mine displays 0% to change the oil in my ZL1 and haven’t had any issues yet. Knock on wood of course!
Old 01-27-2021, 10:57 PM   #6
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I'm getting ready for the last 10 qts of the 30 qts I originally bought, I have 3,484 miles and the car is exactly 1 year old since delivery... I changed at 505 & 1,500 miles... This one will be somewhere between 3,500 and 4,000 miles, but the oil life indicator is ticking down based more on time than mileage/driving...
I thought about tightening up on the oil first changes to 500 and 1500 as well. I just couldn’t make myself do the 500 mile change. The oil was pretty much clear when I first changed it at 1600 miles. I cut open the filter and ran the oil through a tight screen. No debris could be seen with the naked eye. Thankfully... or else I would have been like, I should have a changed it at 500 miles!!
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 11:07 PM   #7
2SS Capt
2020 Shadow Gray 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
I thought about tightening up on the oil first changes to 500 and 1500 as well. I just couldn’t make myself do the 500 mile change. The oil was pretty much clear when I first changed it at 1600 miles. I cut open the filter and ran the oil through a tight screen. No debris could be seen with the naked eye. Thankfully... or else I would have been like, I should have a changed it at 500 miles!!
I just figured, what the hell... I just spent over $50k on a car, if I blow $100 unnecessarily on an oil change too early, so be it... Small price to pay for peace of mind... I will agree, at 500 miles, the oil coming out looked VERY good (I didn't open the filter), but I probably could have gone to at least 1,000 without issue (all my other cars I did at 1,000), to me it is just cheap insurance, if I throw away $100 of "good" oil, so be it... I'd rather err on the side of safety/conservativeness...

Old 01-28-2021, 06:22 AM   #8
ZED SLED

Drives: 2017 Mosaic Bk ZL1 M6
Quote:
Yep, I just reset it until I get to it. Typically only drive about 2-4k/yr. Only put about 500 on this past year.

ZED SLED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 06:35 AM   #9
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SS Capt View Post
I just figured, what the hell... I just spent over $50k on a car, if I blow $100 unnecessarily on an oil change too early, so be it... Small price to pay for peace of mind... I will agree, at 500 miles, the oil coming out looked VERY good (I didn't open the filter), but I probably could have gone to at least 1,000 without issue (all my other cars I did at 1,000), to me it is just cheap insurance, if I throw away $100 of "good" oil, so be it... I'd rather err on the side of safety/conservativeness...
Yep. Maintenance is necessary, and it comes at a cost. If you have the money to buy the car, then you have to ready to accordingly pay to register, operate (premium fuel), and maintain it. In the grand scheme, you pay far more in interest on the loan than you do for a few oil changes.

I did mine at 629 (I was shooting for 500 but obviously missed) and again at 1659. I saw no shiny, sparkly stuff in the oil so I moved on and called it good. Replaced the filter both times. One oil change was with Mobil 1 5W-30 dexos1 and one was with Kirkland 5W-30 dexos1. I only drive on the street and will continue to use the Kirkland oil as it's about 1/4 the cost of the 0W-40 dexos2 that's necessary for track use in the LT1 motor. Oil and filter runs about $35 for me.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 07:30 AM   #10
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
It will be okay to wait a little longer to change the oil. I usually wait until mine displays 0% to change the oil in my ZL1 and haven’t had any issues yet. Knock on wood of course!
Yep, that’s the plan, thanks!
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:50 AM   #11
FH212

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS 1LE
My Camaro will do the same thing. I NEVER reach the mileage mark for an oil change on my Camaro or my Trans Am. I change oil & filter at or before the 1 year mark no matter what. Oil and filter are cheap maintenance and I believe EXTREMELY important to the engine health.
2001 Mecham Trans Am #3 - 7.0L LS1
FH212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:07 AM   #12
az4783054

Drives: SWXXZL1
Send a sample of your oil to BLACKSTONE LABORATORIES.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/?ses...h432k%29%29%2F
Old 01-28-2021, 10:15 AM   #13
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by az4783054 View Post
Send a sample of your oil to BLACKSTONE LABORATORIES.

https://www.blackstone-labs.com/?ses...h432k%29%29%2F
For what?

Don't get me wrong... there are useful reasons to have oil analysis done. But, spending an extra $30 on top of what might already be an expensive event brings zero benefit unless you have something specific that you're looking for.

Annual oil changes are necessary because there are just far too many contaminants (including moisture) that can make their way into the oil over a full run of seasons, especially with low overall driving use.

Additionally, oil analysis is historical (backwards-looking) and not predictive (forward-looking). It can help you to know about what may have already happened but can not tell you whether something would happen in the future. In other words, it could tell you what amount of moisture has been able to make its way into the oil in the past year but can not tell you if that's what will happen in the coming year. Neither does it tell you whether you should allow the oil to remain in the car for an additional specific amount of time because oil that has started to wear / break down may absorb moisture at a faster rate than "new" oil.

$30 for oil analysis is reasonable, but is 100% wasted money if you own the LT1 motor and don't track the car because that's what it costs to do an oil change with 5W-30 dexos1 oil.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:25 AM   #14
az4783054

Drives: SWXXZL1
Don't lecture. It was a suggestion if an owner is concerned about 'bad' oil remaining in their engine beyond the OLM reading.

Some owners still think changing the oil at 3000 miles is necessary. It's not with synthetic oil. Spend your money in any manner you want.