Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 02-16-2021, 06:47 PM   #29
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
Very nice! Both cars look great with those wheels.

I love the HRE Flowform FF04 wheels on my ZL1 so much I ordered a set of FF11s for the Corvette.

Nice choice! those should look good! 20/19 staggered or what is the c8 fitment?
Old 02-16-2021, 06:56 PM   #30
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
I'm married. Wife and I are not Vert people.

I agree the C8 Vert is very cool if you're a top less guy.
My first three Camaros were gen 5 convertibles. While driving with the top down was great fun, dealing with the canvas top and that obnoxious tonneau cover got very old.

My wife was none too happy when I traded in the ‘13 ZL1 vert for the ‘17 Zl1 coupe. She really likes riding in a convertible.

When the C8 was introduced, I thought it was cool car but it didn’t get me so excited to buy one. All that changed when the C8 hard top convertible was announced. In my mind, it was the best of both worlds. You get top down driving without a tonneau cover to hassle with plus you keep all of the storage space. Needless to say, my wife had a big grin on her face driving around today with the top down.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:16 PM   #31
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
Yep. 19s front 20s rear.
Old 02-16-2021, 07:48 PM   #32
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
looks great Hawk!
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:11 PM   #33
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kropscamaro16 View Post
Our C8 has 20/21" BC Forged, stock is 19/20".
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:12 PM   #34
Z OH 6

Quote:
My first three Camaros were gen 5 convertibles. While driving with the top down was great fun, dealing with the canvas top and that obnoxious tonneau cover got very old.

My wife was none too happy when I traded in the ‘13 ZL1 vert for the ‘17 Zl1 coupe. She really likes riding in a convertible.

When the C8 was introduced, I thought it was cool car but it didn’t get me so excited to buy one. All that changed when the C8 hard top convertible was announced. In my mind, it was the best of both worlds. You get top down driving without a tonneau cover to hassle with plus you keep all of the storage space. Needless to say, my wife had a big grin on her face driving around today with the top down.

Yep, a proper Vert.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:13 PM   #35
Anti-Venom

Drives: 98 Z28 SS, 2018 ZL1 HYPER BLUE
I’m thinking of trading in my ZL1 for a C8. Can owners of both cars give me a quick break down if I would regret it? I obviously can own both ,cause that would be the way to go.
Thanks
Anti-Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:39 AM   #36
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Venom View Post
I’m thinking of trading in my ZL1 for a C8. Can owners of both cars give me a quick break down if I would regret it? I obviously can own both ,cause that would be the way to go.
Thanks
Even though we own both and I enjoy driving both for different reasons. There are some reasons to own one over the other and honestly for me it comes down to what your performance goals are. If you plan to leave the ZL1 completely stock, I would recommend the C8 over a ZL1 any day. The C8 is quicker to 60, probably 100 too but the ZL1 is slightly quicker in the 1/4. The C8 feels like its glued to the road, even though on paper they have similar handling numbers, the C8 just feels a lot more confidence inspiring. The C8 interior is roomier not counting the two back seats in the ZL1 which are practically unusable for anything but storage of small items. The C8 is VERY quick on street tires because it just doesn't spin, this is a huge advantage stoplight to stoplight. The steering feels lighter in the C8 also compared to the ZL1, the ZL1 can feel a bit heavy on the steering in comparison in all modes.

And here's where the ZL1 has its advantages, if you plan to make more power, the ZL1 has plenty of mods available to go well over 1000hp, the C8 is very limited to just exhaust mods. Trans tuning and PCM tuning is not available yet. The DCT in the C8 is awesome but isn't built to take the amount of power the A10 can so if PCM and trans tuning were to become available, you would likely have to spend a lot to upgrade the DCT to hold more power. There are some out there that are starting to push the limits of the C8 by adding twin turbo's with limited success so far, I do feel confident that will change though in the future.

Bottom line, stock for stock, buy the C8 in a heartbeat, if you plan to do mods, go with the ZL1.

Last edited by Z OH 6; 02-17-2021 at 06:19 AM.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:04 AM   #37
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
Quote:
I'm married. Wife and I are not Vert people.

I agree the C8 Vert is very cool if you're a top less guy.
I am not a vert guy but the retractable HT is the best of both worlds. The engine cover on the LT1 is NUTHIN SPECIAL and really the engine is ugly if the cover is removed. The coupe is ok but the HTC is the bomb,,,,

Pulling the targa off and storing (losing luggage space) is not easy.

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:21 AM   #38
Z OH 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
I am not a vert guy but the retractable HT is the best of both worlds. The engine cover on the LT1 is NUTHIN SPECIAL and really the engine is ugly if the cover is removed. The coupe is ok but the HTC is the bomb,,,,

Pulling the targa off and storing (losing luggage space) is not easy.
Different strokes for different folks. The Vert isn't for me or my wife, if it was, we would have got one. I like the targa, a lot, not even for the engine cover, I just don't need/want a full removable top.

Pulling the targa top is really easy, if my wife can do it by herself than anyone can. We also have a body colored roof and a clear panel which is nice too, good to have options.

Regardless, we're just waiting for the Z06 to be released, then our C8 will be traded in.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:29 AM   #39
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Venom View Post
Thanks
Z OH 6 has much more seat time in both cars than I do so his evaluation holds a lot more weight than mine will at this point. I’m in the 500 mile break-in period with the Corvette so engine RPM is maxed at 4000 RPM so I haven’t been able to jump on the throttle. My ZL1 is also an M6 so it’s not going to feel as quick as an A10.

With that said, there’s no question the C8 feels quick. This is likely due to the quick shifts of the dual clutch and less weight. As Z OH 6, the C8 feels planted as hell to the ground. The weight distribution with engine behind the driver gives it a huge advantage. In the C8 you feel like you’re being pushed. In the ZL1 it feels like you’re being pulled.

Jamming air into the engine with a supercharger gives the ZL1 the sensation of raw power. The ZL1 can scare the hell out of me at times providing an adrenaline rush and making the car exciting to drive. I’ll be curious to see what the C8 does once the engine is capable of full power. I have a feeling it will be more refined at WOT and therefore a little less exciting.

As far as which feels bigger, it’s easier for me to get in and out of the Camaro. I have to duck my head a lot more getting into the C8 because of the roof line. Once in, though, both driver compartments feel about the same to me. The C8 is very roomy.

If I could only have one these cars right now, I’d take the ZL1. It packs the most bang for the buck. And I really love the styling of the ZL1. Six months from now I may change my opinion. Both are great cars in there own way and I’m glad to have both.
Old 02-17-2021, 08:35 AM   #40
Realist

Drives: No Camaro :(
Not for me but the car is impressive in many ways. The seats look sweet, congrats!
Realist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:01 AM   #41
Z OH 6

Quote:
Z OH 6 has much more seat time in both cars than I do so his evaluation holds a lot more weight than mine will at this point. I’m in the 500 mile break-in period with the Corvette so engine RPM is maxed at 4000 RPM so I haven’t been able to jump on the throttle. My ZL1 is also an M6 so it’s not going to feel as quick as an A10.

With that said, there’s no question the C8 feels quick. This is likely due to the quick shifts of the dual clutch and less weight. As Z OH 6, the C8 feels planted as hell to the ground. The weight distribution with engine behind the driver gives it a huge advantage. In the C8 you feel like you’re being pushed. In the ZL1 it feels like you’re being pulled.

Jamming air into the engine with a supercharger gives the ZL1 the sensation of raw power. The ZL1 can scare the hell out of me at times providing an adrenaline rush and making the car exciting to drive. I’ll be curious to see what the C8 does once the engine is capable of full power. I have a feeling it will be more refined at WOT and therefore a little less exciting.

As far as which feels bigger, it’s easier for me to get in and out of the Camaro. I have to duck my head a lot more getting into the C8 because of the roof line. Once in, though, both driver compartments feel about the same to me. The C8 is very roomy.

If I could only have one these cars right now, I’d take the ZL1. It packs the most bang for the buck. And I really love the styling of the ZL1. Six months from now I may change my opinion. Both are great cars in there own way and I’m glad to have both.
I think the C8 will grow on you. I sort of felt the same way as you when we first got our C8, it honestly felt a little sluggish to me and didn't impress me much at all even after 1500 miles when I could romp on it some. I swear it may seem coincidental but when we got about 3K miles on ours, it really started to feel properly quick. Seems like before that mark, the engine was really tight and just didn't rev as freely as it does now. We have 4800 miles on ours now and I love driving it. It doesn't provide that same G-force pull in your gut that my modified ZL1 does though when accelerating since my ZL1 is around 800hp, but I can say this, never do I drive the C8 and think its boring. Its always a hoot. Give it more time and you may be surprised how your opinion changes more favorably towards to the C8.

Like I stated above, its an easy decision for me if both cars are stock, I'd take the C8 any day of the week, but the ability to modify a ZL1 to much higher HP numbers, then its a tougher call. I'm just glad we can have both so I don't have to choose.
Old 02-17-2021, 09:14 AM   #42
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
I think the C8 will grow on you. I sort of felt the same way as you when we first got our C8, it honestly felt a little sluggish to me and didn't impress me much at all even after 1500 miles when I could romp on it some. I swear it may seem coincidental but when we got about 3K miles on ours, it really started to feel properly quick. Seems like before that mark, the engine was really tight and just didn't rev as freely as it does now. We have 4800 miles on ours now and I love driving it. It doesn't provide that same G-force pull in your gut that my modified ZL1 does though when accelerating since my ZL1 is around 800hp, but I can say this, never do I drive the C8 and think its boring. Its always a hoot. Give it more time and you may be surprised how your opinion changes more favorably towards to the C8.

Like I stated above, its an easy decision for me if both cars are stock, I'd take the C8 any day of the week, but the ability to modify a ZL1 to much higher HP numbers, then its a tougher call. I'm just glad we can have both so I don't have to choose.
Thanks for the info. Wife actually mentioned a vette while shopping for a ZL1 as they are a gorgeous car. Price was only a little more for a base Stingray than what I paid, so that was about a wash.

I will eventually do some stuff to the Z & it handles just fine for me so I’m a happy camper.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote