#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-13-2021, 03:14 PM   #15
EvilZL

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZLE dude View Post
As did I!! I'll never own another car without having all that stuff coated.
I hear ya man!! same here!
I also have a Black Sierra 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 and had my truck and wheels ceramic coated and I drive that all year round and it holds up nice even in the winter here in Michigan with the snow and salt on the roads!
EvilZL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 03:22 PM   #16
Grumpy1

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Hyper Blue A10
I can see where it's a great idea but with the heat cycles does it last as long as it normally would?
If you do have to re-apply after a yr or two is there any special prep that's required?
Grumpy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 05:36 PM   #17
Gatorcamaro

Drives: 2020 camaro zl1
Not a true ceramic coating, but I use McKee's 37 hydro blue pro si02 on my wheels. After washing, just spray it on the wheels including the barrel and rinse. It helps make it easier to clean and a ton easier to dry.
Gatorcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 07:34 PM   #18
Z OH 6

Drives: 2021 Red Hot ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy1 View Post
I can see where it's a great idea but with the heat cycles does it last as long as it normally would?
If you do have to re-apply after a yr or two is there any special prep that's required?
It won't last as long as it normally would on paint, not because of heat cycles but because the wheels and calipers are subject to very dirty conditions and get more abuse. Ceramic coating them will last for a few months to a year but I wouldn't count it on lasting much longer before needing to reapply. No special prep is needed, the surfaces just need to be very clean.

CQuartz 3.0 is VERY easy to apply and remove, you can do all 4 wheels and calipers in less than one hour, then you have to let the ceramic coat cure for at least 24 hours and can't get it wet while its curing.
Z OH 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:54 AM   #19
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
I hate brake dust.
Swap out the pads for powerstop z26's.

Quote:
Did you apply ceramic coating to your wheels? If you did, were you happy with the results ?
Yes, with a durable hydrophobic coating on top (Gtechniq Crystal Serum Black & EXO) and yes.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 07:08 AM   #20
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z OH 6 View Post
It won't last as long as it normally would on paint, not because of heat cycles but because the wheels and calipers are subject to very dirty conditions and get more abuse. Ceramic coating them will last for a few months to a year but I wouldn't count it on lasting much longer before needing to reapply. No special prep is needed, the surfaces just need to be very clean.

CQuartz 3.0 is VERY easy to apply and remove, you can do all 4 wheels and calipers in less than one hour, then you have to let the ceramic coat cure for at least 24 hours and can't get it wet while its curing.
Every 5th or 6th washing I spray my wheels with Gyeon Wet coat and rinse off. It acts as a sacrificial coating and seem to extend the life of the original ceramic coating. You can use your favorite SIO2 spray and rinse coating. It doesn’t have to be Wet Coat.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:48 AM   #21
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
Like others above, I had my wheels and car professionally done. It has really cut down on swirl marks on the car and makes the wheels much easier to clean. They gave me CarPro Reload to help maintain the ceramic finish. I put it on a few times a year. It seems to work well and it is very easy to apply.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:21 AM   #22
beckham388

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 A10
Quote:
I hate brake dust.
Did you apply ceramic coating to your wheels? If you did, were you happy with the results ?
On my 2018, I did the following:
Ceramic Coating for wheels and replaced brake pads with PowerStop. Zero dust and easy to clean for three years. I plan on doing the same to my new 2021 when it arrives.
Old 02-21-2021, 11:35 AM   #23
Bangkok_ZL1
ZL1 Believer

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
I hate brake dust.
Totally worth it. You still must clean them a little. But it's night and day. It's so worth it.
Bangkok_ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote