Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-14-2021, 06:42 AM   #15
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
The absence of the ELSD on the convertible is also driven by marketing.

GM knows that 99.9% of the buyers in the market for a convertible have no plans to ever track their car. Heck, the majority of tracks won’t allow convertibles on them without some form of approved roll protection.

As Gunkk pointed out, the engineering costs to make the ELSD fit around the added bracing isn’t justified when the vast majority of convertibles will never drive a single lap on a track.
Old 02-14-2021, 07:53 AM   #16
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
The absence of the ELSD on the convertible is also driven by marketing.

GM knows that 99.9% of the buyers in the market for a convertible have no plans to ever track their car. Heck, the majority of tracks won’t allow convertibles on them without some form of approved roll protection.

As Gunkk pointed out, the engineering costs to make the ELSD fit around the added bracing isn’t justified when the vast majority of convertibles will never drive a single lap on a track.
I can roll with that. Elsd and high powered cars is a awesome feature.
Old 02-14-2021, 08:10 AM   #17
Kerry

Drives: 2019 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunkk View Post
Yes there are lots of (very obvious) body differences vert vs. coupe, but some less obvious like the rockers. Also why the ZL1 Addons' vert lift points have to be machined down a half inch or so on one side.

FWIW, the ZL1 vert has a diff cooler (heat exchanger via recirculated trans fluid). SS vert does not, as I recall.

yes ss does not
Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:48 PM   #18
Kerry

Drives: 2019 2SS Camaro
Was under the vert today its an ss
Attached Images

Kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:50 AM   #19
ddivinia

Drives: 19 ZR1 20 350R Wife -> 24 ZL1 Vert
Would be nice to have it. It isn’t just a track item, but oh well. If I could have order it with the eLSED, PDR, homelink and front cameras I would have done so.

TPW 3/2/21

D.
ddivinia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:03 AM   #20
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
What bothered most about my ‘13 ZL1 convertible was not the absence of the PTM modes but that a lot of third party products, especially exhausts, were not compatible with the convertible because of the extra bracing.

I’m guessing some of you 6 Gen vert owners have already experienced compatibility issues with some 3rd party products.

After three Camaro convertibles, the compatibility issue was the biggest driving force that made me move to a coupe when I bought my ‘17 ZL1.
Old 02-18-2021, 11:48 AM   #21
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
What bothered most about my ‘13 ZL1 convertible was not the absence of the PTM modes but that a lot of third party products, especially exhausts, were not compatible with the convertible because of the extra bracing.

I’m guessing some of you 6 Gen vert owners have already experienced compatibility issues with some 3rd party products.

After three Camaro convertibles, the compatibility issue was the biggest driving force that made me move to a coupe when I bought my ‘17 ZL1.
Yep, that’s a fact. Something as simple as a replacing the spoiler...not an option if you’re interested in keeping the rear view camera.
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:13 PM   #22
Big Lebowski

Drives: 022 C8 Z51 Red Mist HTC
Quote:

I get it, but owning a convertible has been in my blood since my first in 2006. Can’t go back now.
Big Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 08:33 AM   #23
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Updated my post above with a new pic and fixed an error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
I get it, but owning a convertible has been in my blood since my first in 2006. Can’t go back now.
Yep, you're either a vert person or you're not.
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 07:46 AM   #24
SpiritedAway

Drives: ZL1 Convertible; 6-speed
I’m pretty content with ESC Competitive mode, but what’s really the practical difference between eLSD vs LSD?

In what type of scenario is it better?
SpiritedAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 08:56 AM   #25
Vigilante375

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Basically the eLSD helps the racing situations.
Vigilante375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2022, 02:26 PM   #26
EDFHOBBIES
Dyno Show Queen LOL

Drives: 16 SS & 17 ZL1 Both Yellow
Send a message via Skype™ to EDFHOBBIES
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lebowski View Post
I purchased a lightly used (6,300 mi) 2020 ZL1 M6 Convertible yesterday, and I’m curious why doesn’t the convertible come with Electronic Limited Slip Differential like the ZL1 Coupe?

I was aware when I bought it that it didn’t have it (so no surprise) but I’m curious as to GM’s thinking behind not including it on the Vert? Do they think convertible drivers are less likely to drive aggressively, and thereby less likely to need it? Overall Cost (it’s pretty expensive)? They don’t think a convertible will be tracked?

Has anyone driven both the coupe and convertible enough to notice how easily the Convertible gets squirrelly without eLSD?

I’ve owned a C7 Z06 for years, so I’m comfortable with the engine power but living vicariously through you folks as I have literally not even test driven my new ZL1 yet since it is stupid cold and snowy here in the frozen tundra of Illinois.
If its a Stick consider yourself lucky its a lot easier to launch without it! Auto then not sure which is better

Kong Ported 2650, Crawford Racing Port Injection, Weapon X 112mm Adapter, NW112mm TB, Livernois Ported LT4 Heads, Lingenfelter GT32 stealth cam, Haltech Elite, and Carbon by Trufiber
EDFHOBBIES is offline   Reply With Quote