Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 08-24-2020, 01:13 PM   #1
appleman22

Drives: 2017 1ss 1le
Awe link pipes on factory exhaust

Does anyone know if the awe link pipes bolt up to the factory exhaust system? Or do you have to have the awe exhaust system??

Thanks
Ed
appleman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 09:11 PM   #2
appleman22

Somebody has to know the answer to this!!
Old 08-27-2020, 07:50 AM   #3
SotallyToberTJ

Drives: 2018 Camaro ss 1le, 2010 VW GTI
so they bolt up to the factory exhaust just past the primary cats, however if you are trying to use your stock exhaust you will need to cut. If you use pretty much any other aftermarket catback it will bolt right up (assuming pipes are same size)
SotallyToberTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:21 AM   #4
appleman22

Thanks for the reply! I know I have to cut the stock exhaust. I just wanted to make sure that everything will line up so that I can either clamp or weld in the delete pipes. Awe is telling me that the pipes won’t match up to the factory system where they connect to the mid pipe
Old 08-31-2020, 10:48 PM   #5
1LEThumper

Drives: 2020 2SS 1LE
I got a pair as well but haven’t tried to install yet. They don’t come with clamps to tie it to the OE pipes so I’ll have to get those first.
1LEThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 06:27 AM   #6
appleman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEThumper View Post
I got a pair as well but haven’t tried to install yet. They don’t come with clamps to tie it to the OE pipes so I’ll have to get those first.
I purchased the clamps that I believe will fit. They are 2.75.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Steve from RDP assures me that he has clients who've installed these with the factory exhaust. I'm hoping he is correct.
Old 09-01-2020, 09:51 PM   #7
JD64

Drives: '19 Camaro ZL1 A10 Riverside Blue
i cant speak for sure about the SS exhaust but these link pipes are a dead on replacement for the secondary cats on the ZL1's and could be made to work with the stock ZL1 exhaust, but guys say there is a difference on the left primary cat from the SS to the ZL1. i used a set of these link pipes with a borla cat back system on my car and the fit was perfect. if you think about it logically, the cat back system is designed to work with the stock secondary cats and the link pipes are basically a duplicate to the bend of the stock secondary cats being removed. when i compared the borla front pipe sections to the stock pipes they looked exact to each other.
as far as the butt style clamps i don't know if you will have a straight enough section to use them where the connection has to be made to the stock front pipes but you might. you may also be able to expand the original pipes for the link pipes to slide in and then put 2 slices in the pipes and use a band clamp on each side. also i didn't have any good luck with the clamp that comes with the link pipes at the primary left converter.the clamp is kinda weak, mine leaked ever so slightly even after the proper torque and exhaust sealer was applied, i reused the original and it worked well (be careful removing the original for reuse) or buy a new one part # 22860193. i know this doesn't answer all your questions directly since i haven't worked with the exhaust on a SS but hopefully some of it will help you out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleman22 View Post
I purchased the clamps that I believe will fit. They are 2.75.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Steve from RDP assures me that he has clients who've installed these with the factory exhaust. I'm hoping he is correct.
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2020, 03:04 PM   #8
appleman22

thats a really informative reply, thank you!
Old 09-08-2020, 08:01 PM   #9
appleman22

Just Incase anyone ever comes across this thread looking for info. The link pipes fit perfectly but they MUST be welded into the factory mid pipe. Clamps absolutely will not work.