Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 10-18-2017, 01:22 PM   #253
wbt2012

Drives: 2012 Mustang GT, 2017 Camaro 1SS
Wanted to report on my wife's 2017 A*. It had the shudder at about 600 miles new. Waiting a few thousand miles and it just got worse.

First trip was a trans flush/filter replacement.
Second recent trip was replace the TQ converter.

All good after last visit so far. Will report back if it happens again. If it does GM will be buying this car back.
wbt2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 09:36 AM   #254
syntaxx7x

Drives: 2017 2SS Vert Fifty
still waiting on mines to get back.. has been 5 days.. I know they are a little backed up.. but I'm tired of driving the loaner.. (impala).. just isn't the same.. will keep everyone posted on the performance when I get it back...
syntaxx7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:49 PM   #255
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Drives: Black 1SS with 20% tinted windows
Had the triple flush done on mine and it greatly reduced the shudder. I went ahead and had the TCM tuned though and there's no more shudder at all. I can't recommend a TCM tune more highly. It makes the car feel totally different and highlights just how garbage GM's stock tune is.
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Darth Martel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 12:23 AM   #256
2017SSCHIRO

Drives: 2017 Camero 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017SSCHIRO View Post
I am taking mine in for the 2nd time for the same reason. The 1st time the claimed that they update the transmission module software and I needed to drive it for 200 miles in order to see if happens again. Well it never stop happening going back next Tuesday for the next round of diagnostics.

Ali
Update on My 2017 SS has been in the shop for over 2 weeks now. The have finally determined the cause of the shake and shudder to be the torque converter. Momentum Chevy has stated that the will get to it hopefully this week and the work is going to take 2 weeks to complete They will have my car for 1 full month which I have spoken to GM and they will reimburse me one month car payment.

Ali
2017SSCHIRO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 06:37 AM   #257
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

2 weeks? It's a 12 hour job for the torque converter
2016 Black 1SS w/ MRC, low-gloss black wheels, auto trans. Self-created custom Dark Knight Edition accents. Rotofab CAI with dry filter and sound tube delete, PRAY ported intake manifold and throttle body, Texas Speed cam, Stainless Works headers and exhaust, Skid Mark garage E85 kit, JMS fuel pump voltage booster, Circle D torque converter. Custom E85/mod tune by Jannetty Racing.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:59 PM   #258
syntaxx7x

Drives: 2017 2SS Vert Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017SSCHIRO View Post
Update on My 2017 SS has been in the shop for over 2 weeks now. The have finally determined the cause of the shake and shudder to be the torque converter. Momentum Chevy has stated that the will get to it hopefully this week and the work is going to take 2 weeks to complete They will have my car for 1 full month which I have spoken to GM and they will reimburse me one month car payment.

Ali
Who did you write to.. and what did you say..?? They have had my car for 2 weeks.. still haven't gotten to it.. So if it takes a month I would like to know how I could be reimbursed also..
syntaxx7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:44 PM   #259
aka Reckless

Drives: 2016 2SS Camaro
Looks like I am late to the party, but I have arrived. Noticed the shudder driving home today. Think I will get the Circle D converter since I am modified. Don't care to leave my 640hp car at the dealer.

I just hit 6,900 miles, 2SS.
aka Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:10 PM   #260
CruzySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
These transmissions are a complete failure in my eyes. Had trouble with mine also. Obviously there is a problem with the torque converters and gm probably should have a recall but they are just going to fix them as they come in.
CruzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:18 PM   #261
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
In the "Ask Al" section there is a request for the engineers to explain the cause of A8 shudder. Please comment or +1 to show support. Link below

My TC has been replaced at 12k miles but I like to run my cars to +100k miles. I'd like a technical reason and how the new TC or flush addresses it.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=510888

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:12 AM   #262
Darth Martel
Darth Martel

Oh they know about it. They just don't know how to fix it without adjusting the slip tables. They can't because it would affect their mpg rating. So, they're looking for a hardware solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post
In the "Ask Al" section there is a request for the engineers to explain the cause of A8 shudder. Please comment or +1 to show support. Link below

My TC has been replaced at 12k miles but I like to run my cars to +100k miles. I'd like a technical reason and how the new TC or flush addresses it.

Old 10-25-2017, 03:01 PM   #263
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlap View Post

You have my support. Other than a few minor gripes, the only potential mechanical issue that haunts me is the TC shudder. No noticeable problem @ 4800 miles.

One the same note, if it's truly as easy as modifying the slip tables, I'd be pleasantly surprised. If true and when more info on the tables becomes available, I'd just tune them out ( including AFM)
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:15 PM   #264
k818mn1

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS, Garnet Red
I took my car into the dealer for the shudder and the jerky gear shifts. They did the triple flush as per the TSB and reset the computer. The service manager told me it would be in learning mode for a few hundred miles. After driving the car for a week I am pleased that the shudder is gone, and more importantly the gears shift much smoother than before. It's now a pleasure to drive it, I had not realized just how bad the shifts had gotten before I took it in.
The service manager did warn me that it may not last though, as the transmission may relearn its bad habits.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
k818mn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:27 PM   #265
SuperSound

Drives: '17 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Martel View Post
Oh they know about it. They just don't know how to fix it without adjusting the slip tables. They can't because it would affect their mpg rating. So, they're looking for a hardware solution.
There's a problem with that statement, the issue doesn't affect all vehicles and isn't specific to just the Camaro or even just SS models.

If the slip tables are the cause, then that problem would be evident for every SS at some point. There's not been any evidence beyond it affects a "large portion" of the SS owners. It would also not explain why all the models with the 8L90 including the C7, trucks and SUVs are seeing the issue too since they all use different tuning for the TCM. Now maybe it could be all of them have the same "slip" tuning, but then again would not explain why the failure rate is not higher than it is.

There have been reports of the same issue with the 8L45 as well (probably Caddies too), but as you can see in this thread, there may be 3 or 4 actual LT owners reporting it. Most have symptoms of other trans related issues to point they may be affected by another issue. But if they do indeed have a TC shudder only issue, it would point to the only thing the two variants would have in common....the supplier for the TCs.

To be clear, I'm not saying slip tables are not related. Adjusting them may indeed prevent the issue from coming back, but the evidence we have seen so far points to QC issues with the TCs themselves (hence the multiple revisions, flushes fixing some, not all cars affected, etc...).

It may be a combination too. Slip tables adjusted to maximize FE but weak TC materials in some leading to failures. That might explain why not everyone has the issue. Then again you could be right and the issue will eventually happen to everyone. Differences in driving habits/mileage/time could be the reason only some have reported the issue so far. It's just too early to tell at this point.

"Voices in your head are not considered insider information."

3800 Status - 6/16/16 (Built!)
6000 status - 6/29/16 (Delivered!)
SuperSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:51 PM   #266
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
The A8 definitely has mechanical hardware issues, or at least that was the case for mine...mine literally "fell apart" inside, basically had a full rebuild, over $3k in repairs my dealer charged GM, they showed me the bill. Mine had the shudder, crappy shifts, rough shifts, jerky down shifts, etc....until one day it crapped out right in the dealers garage, would not engage in any gear, forward or reverse.

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote