Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro Convertible

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-26-2021, 06:24 PM   #71
Bob54

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Convertible
I am in complete paranoia at all times regarding the top. Worst case any guess what it will cost to replace a top outside of warranty and how to find a competent shop?
Bob54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 07:06 AM   #72
Dathomas94

Drives: Camaro 2021 ZL1 6 speed ragtop
I just posted About my 2021 vert that both side covers broke in less than 4000. Top is usually down. Maybe 30 cycles in it.
Dathomas94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:10 PM   #73
bluess2018
Blue 2ss convertible

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2ss convertible blue
2018 CAMARO 2SS convertible

I bought my 2018 Camaro 2SS convertible used with 13,000 miles on it back in 2020. The back window was coming out of the convertible top when I bought it. I took it to the local dealer and they put on a new top under warranty (they said as a courtesy). It took two days and they said they put there best guy on it. Turned out amazing and works like a champ. 18,000 mile now and looks perfect. I like that they honored the warranty even though I bought it used. I love this car! Top down is how it was meant to be driven in my opinion. No vision problems and the sun and wind feel good as well as the sound.
bluess2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:01 AM   #74
nferr

Drives: CamaroRS, Cadillac CTS, MGB
At 6,000 miles my 2019 (bought new in April 2020) started showing signs of the rear window popping out. At 7,300 miles it was over 50% popped out all around the sides and the curve's. Only the top and bottom of the window ere somewhat secure. The dealer just ordered a new window, and is installing it next week. Repair order says "check bulletin", so I don't know if there's a new service bulletin on the issue. They said it's the second one they've had with the issue but they hardly sell any Camaro's. We'll see how it does. It was fine until we had a storm with a lot of ice here in Connecticut.
nferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 09:08 AM   #75
Weege

Drives: 2017 2SS convertible M6, NPP, MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nferr View Post
At 6,000 miles my 2019 (bought new in April 2020) started showing signs of the rear window popping out. At 7,300 miles it was over 50% popped out all around the sides and the curve's. Only the top and bottom of the window ere somewhat secure. The dealer just ordered a new window, and is installing it next week. Repair order says "check bulletin", so I don't know if there's a new service bulletin on the issue. They said it's the second one they've had with the issue but they hardly sell any Camaro's. We'll see how it does. It was fine until we had a storm with a lot of ice here in Connecticut.
If your repair involves just window replacement and not the entire top, that would be surprising and encouraging. The many cases of the problem described here all seemed to require the whole top to be replaced. Please let us know what happens.
No atmosphere.
Weege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 02:39 PM   #76
nferr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weege View Post
If your repair involves just window replacement and not the entire top, that would be surprising and encouraging. The many cases of the problem described here all seemed to require the whole top to be replaced. Please let us know what happens.
I will follow up. They ordered the window and it's coming in Monday and they're doing the install on Wednesday. I know the TSB says to replace the top covering so if this doesn't work I'll go in with the TSB.
nferr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 06:10 PM   #77
Chutzpah

Drives: Wild Cherry LT1
Quote:
I will follow up. They ordered the window and it's coming in Monday and they're doing the install on Wednesday. I know the TSB says to replace the top covering so if this doesn't work I'll go in with the TSB.
I’d be very interested in the latest service bulletin…. If you can share that, it would be great. Good luck…
Chutzpah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 05:20 PM   #78
nferr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutzpah View Post
I’d be very interested in the latest service bulletin…. If you can share that, it would be great. Good luck…
Latest update on my top. I dropped it off early morning, they said it would take a few hours. Then they called and said they needed to keep it overnight. Finished it around two today. Looked at it and was thinking they did a really nice job just replacing the window. Looked at the repair order and it says "replaced folding top cover", so it appears they ended up replacing the whole top cover like it says in the TSB.

The latest TSB appears to be 17-NA-216 and it's dated October 2020. I think all they did was add the 2019 to 2021 model years.

My car was bought new only 16 months ago, so that rear window issue is troubling.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:16 AM   #79
Chutzpah

Quote:
Latest update on my top. I dropped it off early morning, they said it would take a few hours. Then they called and said they needed to keep it overnight. Finished it around two today. Looked at it and was thinking they did a really nice job just replacing the window. Looked at the repair order and it says "replaced folding top cover", so it appears they ended up replacing the whole top cover like it says in the TSB.

The latest TSB appears to be 17-NA-216 and it's dated October 2020. I think all they did was add the 2019 to 2021 model years.

My car was bought new only 16 months ago, so that rear window issue is troubling.

Glad you got it fixed… and I agree, the delamination issue is troubling. I wasn’t thinking about an extended warrantee, but it may be worth the $, if keeping for the long haul.

Hope yours lasts a long time.
Old 09-03-2021, 02:48 PM   #80
ajp
50th Anniversary Vert

Drives: Camaro 2017 50th Anniversary
Quote:
Glad you got it fixed… and I agree, the delamination issue is troubling. I wasn’t thinking about an extended warrantee, but it may be worth the $, if keeping for the long haul.

Hope yours lasts a long time.
GMPP told me the top fabric/glass is not covered by extended warranty. Only the folding mechanism. Hope that was wrong.
Old 09-03-2021, 07:13 PM   #81
Chutzpah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajp View Post
GMPP told me the top fabric/glass is not covered by extended warranty. Only the folding mechanism. Hope that was wrong.
You’re probably right and sounds very convenient for the warranter…but, honestly, what do I know? This is my first vert and I have seen videos of other verts with delaminated glass….Although they have some decent time on them and use. It seems that somehow, some way they could make a glass insert bullet proof for 10 plus years (it’s not like this is new technology).
Old 09-04-2021, 10:15 AM   #82
nferr

Quote:
You’re probably right and sounds very convenient for the warranter…but, honestly, what do I know? This is my first vert and I have seen videos of other verts with delaminated glass….Although they have some decent time on them and use. It seems that somehow, some way they could make a glass insert bullet proof for 10 plus years (it’s not like this is new technology).
Seems like it's just a bad design on how the rear window is bonded. The window isn't really under the seam at all. Just the glue holding it there. I can't believe they haven't changed the design since 2016. It's not all decent time either, my window was over 50% popped out in 15 months time. One Connecticut winter.
Old 09-05-2021, 01:14 PM   #83
Chutzpah

Quote:
Seems like it's just a bad design on how the rear window is bonded. The window isn't really under the seam at all. Just the glue holding it there. I can't believe they haven't changed the design since 2016. It's not all decent time either, my window was over 50% popped out in 15 months time. One Connecticut winter.
It’s probably cheaper to keep the existing design and replace a few tops than to redesign and re-tool. And of course there’s a guarantee of repeat business, not under warrantee. I look at the design, and as you note, the glass sits in a groove, installed from the exterior and is glued into place, which seems counterintuitive to me. With wind pressure / door closing pressure, the glass is going to want to pull away from the sealant. Combine that with variables such as UV, temperature and vibration, I just don’t see the logic of the design. As I said previously, what do I know?

On the same note, my car is garaged 99% of the time, drive top down 99% of the time, and almost never open the windows while top is up and driving. If the sealant fails on mine, I won’t be a happy camper.
Old 01-08-2023, 03:45 PM   #84
leftywayn

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Convertible
I was wondering if because there is a TSB for the delaminating top that it would be covered post warranty.

By the way, I've had no issues. 2017 2ss convertible, 16500 miles
leftywayn is offline   Reply With Quote