Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic modifications (exterior and interior)

AWE Tuning

Old 06-07-2020, 08:51 AM   #1
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
2020 SS - Front Fascia Extender and Side Ground Effects?

It's been a lot of activity for me over the last couple of weeks and finally got everything completed to land a 2020 'vert in the garage. I'm currently in a holding pattern to get plates (DMV is closed) and want to take advantage of the time to do a couple of mods. I'm looking for specific recommendations that aren't going to break the bank for a couple of items:

- Front splitter / front fascia extender: I know that GM sells one that I can get in various colors, but are there aftermarket options that I should consider for cost purposes? Since the car is white, I was thinking a gloss black. I don't mind buying something that is primed only as long as there's a decent and cost-effective way to paint it that will hold up.

- Side ground effects: I've read that this add-on may also help slightly with what gets kicked up along the side of the car by the front wheels, but I also want to extend the look of the front end around the side of the car, too. Similar thoughts here on how to get the color I want, especially since I will want it to be at least very close to the front end.

- Talk to me about the splash guards. Is there any actual "proven" benefit of them and how hard are they to install?

- At some point, I'm going to make some exhaust changes and will want a quad tip in the back (no dual mode, so single tip per side right now). What is a good way to get the correct insert for the rear to accommodate the quad tips and, again, have the color match either to what's there now or possibly to the sides/front. My guess is sticking with more of a basic "ABS Plastic" formed product in a matte finish will be the best choice to be simple, cost-effective, and hold up well given that there will be heat involved from the exhaust.
Attached Images

ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 10:34 AM   #2
Xaxas

Drives: 2019 2SS 1LE
1) It's really up to your personal taste, there's a good amount of designs out there, from cheap to quality
2) No benefit to it, just an appearance mod
3) They prevent splash from the wheels to the rear, 3 bolts in the inner fender and you're done, get the Gen5DIY ones, I have the OEM ones in my 1LE and they're quite useless on such wide tires
4) If you want quad tips, you need either a new diffuser or to cut your current one

Previous: 2017 2LT aka "Noire"
Mods: Chevrolet Performance Suspension || K&N Cold Air Intake || Borla ATAK Mufflers + Catback system || MRR 650 ZL1 replicas with squared 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S || ZZP 4 piston brake kit + braided brake lines || BMR everything (Solid/Lockout cradle bushing are a MUST in Camaros)
Xaxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 11:56 AM   #3
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaxas View Post
1) It's really up to your personal taste, there's a good amount of designs out there, from cheap to quality
2) No benefit to it, just an appearance mod
3) They prevent splash from the wheels to the rear, 3 bolts in the inner fender and you're done, get the Gen5DIY ones, I have the OEM ones in my 1LE and they're quite useless on such wide tires
4) If you want quad tips, you need either a new diffuser or to cut your current one
Thanks.

While I agree on the personal taste piece, I'm also interested in knowing if other members have bought certain ones, bought from certain stores or eBay sellers, etc. and had good overall results. Plus, I'm curious to know if anyone has bought a "primed" one and painted it themselves to know how it turned out.

I want to add some subtle mods like these ground effects, but I also don't want to break the bank after having just bought the car AND looking toward an exhaust in the future.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:58 AM   #4
CamaroSS18
Camaro2SS18

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
ACS Composites makes really nice, great quality products. The customer service is excellent. They have two options for side skirts either the GEN 6 or ZL1 and the front splitter you can get either the ZL1, T6 or 1LE. Any option you can get in primered, Gloss Black or 1LE Matte. GM rock guards are not compatible with any ground effects or side skirts. ACS does make nice rock guards that will work with side skirts. Their rock guards look good, go nice with the contour of the fenders and do not resemble a thin mud flap look. They install really easy and fit perfect. I have seen videos where the brands like American Authority or ZL1 addon just don't fit real great. Hope this helps, happy modding!
CamaroSS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 12:04 PM   #5
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSS18 View Post
ACS Composites makes really nice, great quality products. The customer service is excellent. They have two options for side skirts either the GEN 6 or ZL1 and the front splitter you can get either the ZL1, T6 or 1LE. Any option you can get in primered, Gloss Black or 1LE Matte. GM rock guards are not compatible with any ground effects or side skirts. ACS does make nice rock guards that will work with side skirts. Their rock guards look good, go nice with the contour of the fenders and do not resemble a thin mud flap look. They install really easy and fit perfect. I have seen videos where the brands like American Authority or ZL1 addon just don't fit real great. Hope this helps, happy modding!
Thank you. That definitely gives me some information to use when searching.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:07 PM   #6
CamaroSS18
Camaro2SS18

Drives: 2018 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS
Also forgot to mention that ACS also has an Undertray/Skid Plate that you can get to go with the front splitter. They are the only one that I have found to offer this. It will give the front splitter more stability and strength and will add more protection underneath the car.
CamaroSS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 06:25 PM   #7
Zapote21
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2017 Krypton Green 2SS
Love that car. Where did you get it? There was an identical one at local dealer in Tampa.

1. Splitter. I love and recommend the GM second gen in black metallic. Part #84544270. I got mine from shop chevy parts dot com
2. Dont have on mine yet but would go with matching set. Part # 84486684
3. Splash guards. Need them. Tired of the splashing of dirt on sides of car. Im going with original.
4. Exhaust. AWE track edition. Amazing. Just replace the rear bottom piece with the original for dual tips

Here are pics of splitter and exhaust.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk
2016 C7 DSOM
2012 2SS yellow vert
2017 2LT Krypton Green
2018 2LT Hot wheels crush
2020 2SS Shock vert.
2017 2SS Krypton Green coupe
Zapote21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 09:33 PM   #8
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapote21 View Post
Love that car. Where did you get it? There was an identical one at local dealer in Tampa.

1. Splitter. I love and recommend the GM second gen in black metallic. Part #84544270. I got mine from shop chevy parts dot com
2. Dont have on mine yet but would go with matching set. Part # 84486684
3. Splash guards. Need them. Tired of the splashing of dirt on sides of car. Im going with original.
4. Exhaust. AWE track edition. Amazing. Just replace the rear bottom piece with the original for dual tips

Here are pics of splitter and exhaust.
Thanks. Once I can get plates for it and drive it, I'm sure I will too. lol

I bought it in MA - about 140 miles from me - and trailered it home. There are a couple of white ones here in CT, but neither has the Adrenaline Red interior and the dealer refused to budge more than a few hundred from MSRP on price claiming he was "all in" at the price he quoted. There's a reason he's sitting on a ton of Camaros when every other dealer out there is either sold out or selling down. Whatever - my gain.

Thanks for the suggestions and the pics. I'll have to go back, but I thought I had checked out the AWE and didn't think it was what I was looking for sound-wise. I'll check it out again, though. I would be happy to "build my own" NPP to have a stealth mode setting, but I don't know if I would do it with the stock exhaust or not.
Old 06-08-2020, 02:25 PM   #9
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Is there anyone here that knows anything about this kit? It's primer black, and I'm going to check with a paint guy about spraying them this afternoon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/323873431876
Old 06-08-2020, 02:31 PM   #10
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Or this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZL1-Style-A...YAAOSwGL9d-s1X
Old 06-09-2020, 10:05 PM   #11
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Well, we're going to see how this pans out...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-19-Up-C...s/324004572310

Under $500 for a kit with a ZL1 style splitter and rockers, ABS plastic (unfinished) in "primer black" color. Lip/splitter is bolt on, rockers require drilling and rivets. You have to buy the 3M tape for the rockers, it -appears- the tape is already installed for the splitter.

I talked with a body shop guy and it would be about $400 for him to spray and clear them. That's assuming that the color doesn't match the texture/color of the factory diffuser on the rear and/or I want it more of a gloss color before it goes on the car.

If I decide it's going on the car, whether painted or not, I'll post pics once it's done and I'll try and outline the install process.
Old 06-10-2020, 08:21 AM   #12
Kaddy

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS Convertible
I have the GM front splitter and side ground effects and I love them. Make the car look a little lower and a little more aggressive.
Attached Images

Kaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:24 AM   #13
Kaddy

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS Convertible
Another view. Shows the side a little better.
Attached Images

Kaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:26 AM   #14
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaddy View Post
I have the GM front splitter and side ground effects and I love them. Make the car look a little lower and a little more aggressive.
Thanks. The kit I ordered to try out appears to be styled -very- similar to the GM kit, but at about 1/3 of the price. I'm guessing you have either Jet Black or Ceramic White interior and that's why you have the black fender graphic? My interior is Adrenaline Red...
Attached Images