Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-21-2021, 01:52 AM   #1
Lsxanarchy

Drives: 11 2ss 02 ws6
Clutch suggestions opinions please

Car is an 11 ss with btr 4 and supporting mods. Plans are to stay na with the car. Its a weekend car and only roll race so I wanna go with a light weight clutch setup to cut back on the heavy stock clutch set up. I reached out to spec and they suggested stage 2+ with the aluminum flywheel and upgraded aluminum pressure plate 30 lb full set up. And that's 1100 for that setup but for a little more I could go rxt mcleod. Anyone know the weight of the mcleod with there aluminum flywheel? Any input?
Lsxanarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:33 AM   #2
Axe55

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I have a McLeod with steel flywheel and I like it, not sure about weight loss but I like the grip. I think McLeod and Monster are the two most common clutches I hear about if you're looking for other brands for comparison.

One recommendation, if you're going to the effort of dropping the transmission, I would also replace the clutch cylinder and throw out bearing while you're in there so you don't end up needing to drop the transmission twice like I did. Even if they look ok, just do it, they're not that expensive, I wish I did mine at the same time.
2012 Camaro SS LS3, JRE Scoop, CAI intake, Whipple Supercharger, Fast 85lb injectors, ZL1 pump, McLeod RXT clutch, MGW shifter, Stainless Power 1 7/8 headers w/HFC, Ridetech coilovers, BMR sway bars, trailing arms, toe rods, cradle bushing inserts, 2020 Speed Tuned.
Axe55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:12 AM   #3
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
I have had 2 twin disk clutch setups and now have a spec 3+ single disk. There is a noticeable difference on how a single disk drives vs the twin disk.

The spec drives like a factory clutch and handles the power my car puts out. After my experiences with clutches the last 6 years I will not go with a twin disk unless absolutely needed.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 08:40 AM   #4
Lsxanarchy

Ok awesome thanks for the feedback. I am planning on changing the slave and throw out bearing at the same time and putting in the monster billet mod.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:23 PM   #5
RupertPupkin

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1Le
I have McLeod right now. Can’t complain, took awhile to get used to the twin disc. I do t think changing the flywheel will help with the “heavy clutch” feel. You’ll receive it out more for sure.
730whp: 630Trq
RupertPupkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:26 PM   #6
Car Nation Videos
YouTube-Car Nation Videos

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro
I wouldn’t put a twin disc in it unless your over 600 hp.
Car Nation Videos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 12:10 AM   #7
Lsxanarchy

Let me clarify I don't want the lightweight set up to make the pedal feel different I want it so it will Rev like mad with this big cam so I can get to the sweet spot fast. The byr 4 cam comes on hard 3k + and I fell like it will help the way the car drives and feels with a light weight clutch set up
Old 07-22-2021, 08:09 AM   #8
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
If the clutch package including flywheel gets noticeably lighter you will need to have access to a good tuner to help with potential idle issues. I have had the same custom tune on three different clutches and the light flywheel package would have trouble with not having enough inertia when coming back to idle from about 1300 rpms and idle not holding on longer idles. The other noticeable difference is when taking off, the lower inertia will make it necessary to rev higher or stall the enigne.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:11 AM   #9
Lsxanarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz4k98 View Post
If the clutch package including flywheel gets noticeably lighter you will need to have access to a good tuner to help with potential idle issues. I have had the same custom tune on three different clutches and the light flywheel package would have trouble with not having enough inertia when coming back to idle from about 1300 rpms and idle not holding on longer idles. The other noticeable difference is when taking off, the lower inertia will make it necessary to rev higher or stall the enigne.
Ya I figured it would need retuned at idle speeds at a bare minimum. But my tuner is amazing my btr4 cam drives incredibly well for what it is