Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 06-08-2019, 12:43 PM   #1
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Drives: 2022 ZLE, 2023 ZLE (Inbound)
How to fully flush brakes with SRF with regard to the clutch?

Okay so I'm getting ready to do a full flush with SRF for an upcoming track day and realized I couldn't find any consensus on how to deal with the shared clutch reservoir? There doesn't seem to be any clear or easy way to purge out the DOT3 fluid from the clutch system?

I sucked out all the fluid that I could from the reservoir and the entire back portion of the reservoir appears to still be full?

I read this procedure:

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545244

Which discusses pumping the clutch pedal several times for 200 pumps, presumably to purge it out, but further posts indicate it might not work that way and there was no resolution.

So what are you track junkies doing to address the clutch situation when you do that first flush to replace DOT3 with DOT4?
rlarsen462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:00 PM   #2
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Use cheap fluid and flush frequently.

Only option would be to install a tick remote slave cylinder speed bleeder. I add these during a clutch install. Best thing ever
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 02:21 PM   #3
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
Use cheap fluid and flush frequently.

Only option would be to install a tick remote slave cylinder speed bleeder. I add these during a clutch install. Best thing ever
Thank you I will look into that for the future, but not everyone tracking these cars is installing that slave bleeder, at least right away, and many are running SRF (arguably the most expensive brake fluid) like I intend to.

Is there just no good way for me to purge the clutch at all while I'm doing this?

Is my best bet following that procedure in the link I sent and calling it a day for now? I can do another flush later this year after a few track days.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:43 PM   #4
6spdhyperblue

Drives: 6th gen
Im thinking if you compare curve of the boiling point of contaminated fluid across all high performance fluid, to me, it looks like having the freshest fluid is most vital. Since we are contaminating the fluid out of the gate with the clutch reserves, I think changing as frequently as possible is the best way to raise the boiling point.

Obviously if you can maintain that frequency with the srf that would be the way to go. I’m with you if there’s a better option I’m all for it, even clutch performance suffers with shitty fluid
6spdhyperblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:22 PM   #5
thescreensavers

Drives: SW 1SS 1LE / Jeep XJ
No way to flush the clutch in this car unless you install the remote bleeder.
thescreensavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:04 PM   #6
BlueinTN

Drives: gas powered
I believe the technical term "pissing in the ocean" can be applied here...a few drain and refills over time and usage you should be close to 100% DOT 4.
BlueinTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 04:41 PM   #7
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Followed the procedure from my first post except using the Service Manual bleeding order on the calipers. Went through about $100 worth of SRF by the time I was done, but I imagine it's pretty good by now. I definitely have SRF in the calipers where it matters most. I'll probably bleed a few times at the track between sessions too.

Also holy hell the Motive bleeder makes this easy...
Old 06-08-2019, 04:44 PM   #8
PROMETHEUS

Drives: 2019 ZL-1, Shadow Gray, Sold
Yep, take it to a dealer! It cost me $100 a year for them to change my OEM fluid to SRF. The SRF lasts me for the entire track season.
PROMETHEUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 05:17 PM   #9
seanblurr

Drives: ZL1 1LE
Something that occurred to me early on, but never had an issue after first flush Undoubedtly cross-breeding the fluid, but even after the initial flush I never experienced negativity on the track. I'm probably on my 2nd full flush and 5th bleed by now.
Old 06-09-2019, 12:45 AM   #10
rlarsen462
Sell Low, Buy High

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanblurr View Post
Something that occurred to me early on, but never had an issue after first flush Undoubedtly cross-breeding the fluid, but even after the initial flush I never experienced negativity on the track. I'm probably on my 2nd full flush and 5th bleed by now.
This is probably what I needed to hear most...someone aggressively tracking the car with a standard old bleed with SRF and suffering no ill effects!

I went through a bottle and a half today, hopefully it will be well bled and keep me out of the grass!
Old 06-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #11
UrbanKnight

Drives: Fastish
Same process for me hear... Bled as much as I could, probably wasting a 1/2 liter of fluid... Good enough, no ill effects... Just send it
UrbanKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:24 AM   #12
rickybobby

Drives: BMW M3, ZL1 1LE
Isn’t there a bleed screw somewhere under the car for the clutch? I haven’t had a chance to look for it yet but assumed it would be like my other cars. I typically just use the motive bleeder to do the brakes and clutch at the same time.
rickybobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #13
full*throttle*therapy

Drives: '18 RH ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickybobby View Post
Isn’t there a bleed screw somewhere under the car for the clutch? I haven’t had a chance to look for it yet but assumed it would be like my other cars. I typically just use the motive bleeder to do the brakes and clutch at the same time.

Yes there is, but you need to drop the trans a tad to get to it. It is the correct way to do SRF. Something to do with how it reacts with the stock fluid you want to make sure youflush it all. Using Non-SRF Fluid you can do it normally.
full*throttle*therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 01:20 PM   #14
Stealth7

Drives: Gen V Viper GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
Yep, take it to a dealer! It cost me $100 a year for them to change my OEM fluid to SRF. The SRF lasts me for the entire track season.
This! All fluids are not the same: SRF is priced accordingly. It also lasts a long time.
Stealth7 is offline   Reply With Quote