Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-08-2018, 10:57 PM   #1
Lugnutty

Drives: 2022 2SS
Motive Power Bleeder won't hold pressure

Bleeding the brakes is a real pain with this car! I can't get an airtight seal when I use the power bleeder. I have the 1118 Black Label metal cap attachment and I can't make it hold pressure. This one: https://www.motiveproducts.com/produ...tang-3-tab-cap

If I use the bleeder dry, every time I pump the bleeder, the air hisses right out of the reservoir. If I use the bleeder with fluid in it, the fluid gushes right out from the cap.

What's the secret to making this work?
Lugnutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:15 AM   #2
Gunmetalmissle

Drives: 16 ngm ss
I think others have reported success with 1108. However I think the only difference is that it is plastic so not sure why yours wouldn’t work.

Did you try both gaskets?
Gunmetalmissle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:07 PM   #3
blake-b

Drives: 2009 ZR1
I have a 5th gen and when I first used the bleeder, it worked great. I used it again a couple weeks ago and it would pop up a little and lose pressure when used dry. I used a zip tie around the reservoir and cap and that was enough to seal it. I had to cut the zip tie each time I needed to add fluid and zip tie it again.
blake-b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 05:27 PM   #4
PolynesianPowerhouse
Big Samoan ina little car

Drives: 2016 camaro
I believe I have the 1108...it has the metal cap. less chance for flex. I also use the thickest gasket. never had a problem upgrading from single pistons --> 4 piston, and then later from 4 ---> 6.

first thing I would check is the rubber pad thickness as said. theres a skinny one and a thick one... use the thick.

When I see posts asking "whats the best intake, exhaust, etc" .... the answer to that is like a grandfather telling his grandkids "if you put salt on a birds tail, it'll let you catch it" #ThinkAboutIt

"Winning Tip: Don't take my (or anyone else's) word for it. GO TEST IT!" - Dennis Grant
PolynesianPowerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:50 AM   #5
tecmec

Drives: 2016 2SS
I have the same issue. Metal cap, thick gasket. I have to use maybe 12 PSI (iirc) to make it not leak (and then at that pressure, the fluid barely flows). If I use the 15-20 recommended in the manual (again, just going by memory here), it blows out and I get brake fluid everywhere.

It’s definitely getting worse the more I use it, but even when it was new, it wasn’t great.

I hate to say it, but I really miss my Ford. They have threaded brake fluid reservoir caps, and they don’t have this problem.
tecmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 10:51 AM   #6
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
I have the 0108 GM BLEEDER KIT, comes with the 1108 plastic cap and it won't hold anything over 7psi. The thin gasket leaks and the thick one is too thick to fit.
I contacted Motive and they had me send them a picture of the cap and said I needed a new cap. The new cap looks identical to the old cap but I tried it and same thing, won't hold anything over 7psi. So it's back to them to provide a solution that works and me to keep using the 2 person method.

Don't put fluid in the Motive, only use it for pressure. You will have to top off the master cylinder, but it's much better than dealing with fluid in the Motive. Just remember to let the pressure out of the Motive cap and not the master cylinder cap

motivesupport@gmail.com

Last edited by carguy55; 08-18-2018 at 11:03 AM.
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:28 PM   #7
TJay74

Drives: 17 Camaro SS 1LE & 16 Sierra AT CC
So does the old fashion way of a two person bleed not work well on these cars? I have it planned to flush out my fluid before this year is over with using the wife in the car.

2017 Camaro SS 1LE - Procharger D1SC w/ Tial 2" BOV & Race intercooler / ARH full length catless headers / Alky meth injection system - 650rwhp on conservative tune SOLD
TJay74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 11:32 PM   #8
tecmec

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
I have the 0108 GM BLEEDER KIT, comes with the 1108 plastic cap and it won't hold anything over 7psi. The thin gasket leaks and the thick one is too thick to fit.
I contacted Motive and they had me send them a picture of the cap and said I needed a new cap. The new cap looks identical to the old cap but I tried it and same thing, won't hold anything over 7psi. So it's back to them to provide a solution that works and me to keep using the 2 person method.

Don't put fluid in the Motive, only use it for pressure. You will have to top off the master cylinder, but it's much better than dealing with fluid in the Motive. Just remember to let the pressure out of the Motive cap and not the master cylinder cap

motivesupport@gmail.com

I’d try harder with the thick gasket. It’s going to be a tight fit if it’s going to hold.

Actually, the fact that you’re saying the plastic one is so tight with the thick gasket kind of makes me want to buy the plastic one.
tecmec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 01:14 AM   #9
Opus13
Opus13

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS, Black
Thinking about getting one of these. Anybody try using the universal adapter 1101? It looks like it may work better.
Opus13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:26 AM   #10
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
I ordered the 108 and have had zero issues. Used it at least a dozen times.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:03 PM   #11
carguy55

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeS13 View Post
I ordered the 108 and have had zero issues. Used it at least a dozen times.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Using the thick gasket or thin? What psi did you get?

My thick gasket does not fit, feels like if I force it it's going to break the plastic master. The thin ones leaks over 7pdsi. I just finished doing the 2 person bleed and installed speed bleeders

https://www.racerpartswholesale.com/...Brake_Bleeders
carguy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 02:19 PM   #12
JeromeS13

Drives: 2017 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy55 View Post
Using the thick gasket or thin? What psi did you get?

My thick gasket does not fit, feels like if I force it it's going to break the plastic master. The thin ones leaks over 7pdsi. I just finished doing the 2 person bleed and installed speed bleeders

https://www.racerpartswholesale.com/...Brake_Bleeders
I don't recall changing anything out of the box. I was able to pump and maintain 20+ psi. I do recall the cap being pretty snug, though.
JeromeS13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #13
Sp00ner

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
On mine, I just cant screw the adapter all the way on to the reservoir. If I do, it leaks slightly. If I leave it just a tiny bit 'out' it's sealed.
Sp00ner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 09:27 PM   #14
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
i have the "Upgraded" metal cap. Not only does it not hold pressure either thick or thin gasket, i noticed it damaging the threads on plastic reservoir.

what a POS.