Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-20-2019, 05:08 PM   #15
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
Come on guys, wheel hop, BS, or other cause, there was a post to check the bolts on the half-shaft to make sure it was secure.

One of the first things I checked on the lift.

What's that Russian saying???
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:53 PM   #16
BlackbeastSS2

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE Shock Candy
So after reading the TSB:

“If half-shaft has been separated from the differential:
Remove and discard only the half shaft bolts.
If required, clean and reuse retainers.
Replace the shorter bolts (1) with a new longer bolt (2) and washer.
Install the lock washers onto the bolts.
Install bolt and washer assembly into retainer.
Torque bolts to proper torque specifications. Refer to Fastener Specifications in SI.
Service stock half shafts may include POA bolt/retainer assemblies. These assemblies may require rework with longer fasteners.
The new half shaft bolts must be removed, measured and discarded if the length is incorrect.
Parts Information[COLOR=brown !important]Note: To obtain the bolts and washers, fax the form included in this bulletin to the GM Warranty Parts Center (WPC). Request WPC #816.

Use the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), SI, and the GM Electronic Parts Catalog to determine the proper part numbers for the half shaft, if replacement is required: [TABLE="class: all, width: 95%"] [TR] Description Part Number Qty [/TR] [TR] [TD="align: center"]Bolt/Washer [/TD] [TD="align: center"]WPC #816 [/TD] [TD="align: center"]1 kit (6 bolts/6 washers) [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE]   [/COLOR]”

I also visited the dealership and talked to the tech, he measured my bolts and indeed they were the wrong length. He also stated by just simply retightening them will doing nothing. They will come loose again, they need to be replaced with the proper length of bolt and torque to specs. It’s seems some cars got the wrong length of bolts.

So if you don’t know the proper length of the bolt retightening may or may not save you. As someone else said in the thread it’s why we have a warranty and I am covered by the TSB, I would not expect 95% of Camaro owners to keep checking to see if there nuts and bolts are tight. Especially my daughters, can’t see that happening. They have trouble checking the oil level.
Diamond Piston & Manley Rods, Roto Fab Big Gulp
BTR Push Rods,LS7 Lifters, ARP, FI Chiller, Kirkey Seats
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
2014 Mini Cooper countryman S All4 M6 daily driver
BlackbeastSS2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:59 PM   #17
laynlo15

Drives: 2022 Lt1 A10
Glad you checked them. I've made 180 plus passes down the track and never sheared bolts. Maybe some of us didn't read any posts about sheared bolts and didn't see the TSB. I did order the bolts after I read about it and putting them in tomorrow before I go to the strip Saturday.
2022 Lt1 6.2 A10, Maggie 2300, THPSI Port Inj/10 rib, Rotofab, E, Nickey, SCOL, Griptech, RC Bandits, Hoosiers/MT 9.80@142.96 1.44 60ft, 6.34@112 707/669 RWHP/TRQ. 16SS Maggie 2650 9.41@147 1.35 60ft, 5.99@119. 16 C7 A8 10.90@128 Bolt on stuff
laynlo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:54 PM   #18
BlackbeastSS2

After reading more about this, there is another post about this from June of 2017 which I never saw or read which talks about how the GM dealership Technician can get the bolt/washer kit from GM Warranty Parts Center. Most GM dealership don’t know about this. In my case I had to direct them to the TSB for this matter.

I thought I would post this part again so anyone wanting to get the correct bolts if they go to the trouble to check if they got the right length or in my case have the shaft totally disconnected.

TSB # 16-NA-399

Subject: Information on Replacing Half Shaft Fasteners with Revised Parts

Brand:

Model:

Model Year:

VIN:

Engine:

Transmission:

from

to

from

to

Cadillac

ATS-V

LF3, LF4, LT1, LT4

CTS-V

Chevrolet

Camaro

Involved Region or Country

North America and N.A. Export Regions

Condition

The technician may need to perform a repair that requires the half shaft bolts to be removed.
Information

This bulletin advises the Service Technician of new longer bolts and lock washers required to be installed during any repair that requires the half shaft bolts to be removed or replaced.

Three retainer assemblies required per half-shaft.
Each retainer (3) requires 2 bolts (1) and 2 washers (2) to make a retainer assembly.
Where applicable, each axle assembly uses 3 retainer assemblies per side.
Each repair kit contains 6 bolts and 6 washers. 1 kit for each half shaft.
Replacement of all axle bolts are required during repair.

Correction

If half-shaft has been separated from the differential:

Remove and discard only the half shaft bolts.
If required, clean and reuse retainers.
Replace the shorter bolts (1) with a new longer bolt (2) and washer.
Install the lock washers onto the bolts.
Install bolt and washer assembly into retainer.
Torque bolts to proper torque specifications. Refer to Fastener Specifications in SI.

Service stock half shafts may include POA bolt/retainer assemblies. These assemblies may require rework with longer fasteners.

The new half shaft bolts must be removed, measured and discarded if the length is incorrect.

Parts Information

Note: To obtain the bolts and washers, fax the form included in this bulletin to the GM Warranty Parts Center (WPC). Request WPC #816.

Use the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN), SI, and the GM Electronic Parts Catalog to determine the proper part numbers for the half shaft, if replacement is required:

Description

Part Number

Qty

Bolt/Washer

WPC #816

1 kit (6 bolts/6 washers)

IMPORTANT NOTE WHEN PRINTING THIS FORM: If the form prints out on two pages, make certain you fax BOTH pages so that the WPC receives all the needed information. Missing information will delay or prevent the part from being shipped.

Parts Request Form – Warranty Parts Center

Use this form ONLY for U.S. and Canadian Dealers. Export markets and Mexico Dealers must contact their regional Technical Assistance Center for assistance.

To: Warranty Parts Center

e-mail: warrantypartscenterUSA@gm.com

or WPC Fax: 248-371-0192

Attn: Temporary Service Parts

Part Being Requested: WPC #816 Bolt and Washer kit
SJM Line Lock, Hurst Pistol Grip. 747/739 RWHP street tune - 821/794 RWHP track tune 101 octane.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:30 PM   #19
BlackbeastSS2

Good News —- GM Canada paid for my repair.

Good News —- GM Canada paid for my repair. Just got a call from GM Canada they have agreed to pay in full if I drop my arbitration case.

My car has a lot of mods, do not let GM bully u in voiding your warranty. If u simply just say okay and walk away of course they will not pay. I remained cool at the dealership even when the Service Manager said no chance in hell with Nitrous on the car. I called GM Canada countless times and emailed them, contacted the Better Business Bureau, got a company involved in Canada that does arbitration free of charge for warranty work.

(For you Canadian Camaro owners).
https://www.camvap.ca/

I stuck to saying, look you have a TSB out for repairs. It’s happening to stock cars not just modded cars. I have to sign a release saying GM is doing this in good faith and are not responsible for damages. AKA they know there’s a problem like the A8 transmission but don’t want to admit it.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:46 PM   #20
Spartan268

Drives: HB 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbeastSS2 View Post
Good News —- GM Canada paid for my repair. Just got a call from GM Canada they have agreed to pay in full if I drop my arbitration case.

My car has a lot of mods, do not let GM bully u in voiding your warranty. If u simply just say okay and walk away of course they will not pay. I remained cool at the dealership even when the Service Manager said no chance in hell with Nitrous on the car. I called GM Canada countless times and emailed them, contacted the Better Business Bureau, got a company involved in Canada that does arbitration free of charge for warranty work.

(For you Canadian Camaro owners).
https://www.camvap.ca/

I stuck to saying, look you have a TSB out for repairs. It’s happening to stock cars not just modded cars. I have to sign a release saying GM is doing this in good faith and are not responsible for damages. AKA they know there’s a problem like the A8 transmission but don’t want to admit it.

Thanks for the follow up. I'll keep these notes in mind.
Spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:48 PM   #21
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackbeastSS2 View Post
It’s the passenger side half shaft that came off. What I heard was all the bolts flying off and the bang was when the shaft hit the undercarriage until it completely came off the diff. I have no idea if the diff is damaged.

I no there is a note out there about the bolts coming undone, the remedy from GM is longer bolts. WTF

If it can happen to me it can happen to you. Check your bolts and get the longer ones from GM.

Now the phone to the dealer.

Is that just for '16. Is there a TSB? Was the bolt updated for 17'?
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 02:53 PM   #22
BlackbeastSS2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
Reading the above TSB, under Camaro it say 2016 , 2017. Other vehicles have different years affected.
Old 05-03-2019, 04:43 PM   #23
vtirocz

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MackSteelPrivateEye View Post
See this post: https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=16

My 2017 built Nov. 2016 has the fix with longer (68mm) bolts and Nordlock style washer.

Best 1/4 Mile: 12.24 @ 115.9 mph
vtirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 02:53 PM   #24
BlackbeastSS2

Update

Dealership advised me today that the cheque will be ready late next week put they have said I need to sign a waiver?

If I have to sign a waiver is them trying to cover there ass for future problems or what?
Old 05-17-2019, 03:42 PM   #25
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
I got mine checked out at a service center, said mine were good. Built early '16.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote