Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers

AWE Tuning

Old 03-03-2019, 07:43 AM   #1
Jonster

Drives: 18 2SS Vert Hotwheels
Tips for future buyer

Hey community,

I was a previous 2012 2ss IOM convertible owner and miss the days of owning a camaro. I had the car for just under 2 years before life came and I traded it in for something more practical for my life (kids and commute).
Life changes and I am now in a position to purchase another camaro (career advancement), but had some questions that I wanted the community to weigh in on.

My situation: I commute roughly 40 miles one way to work daily. The drive takes about 50-60 minutes. About 70% of it is highway. So no matter what I drive, I'm going to rack up miles like crazy, but I want to do it in a car I'll enjoy because life is short. I like 2lt convertibles or 2ss hard top/convertibles (I enjoy the looks more than anything).

Question 1: Owning a 4, 6, or 8 cylinder obviously has some minor fuel efficiency gains (including regular vs premium gas), but does the maintenance cost at all change compared to the trim levels?

Question 2: As much as I would love to splurge some more cash on a 2ss with the right options, I'm also being practical with my commute. How well does the camaro hold up to chips and highway debris? Does the paint chip easily? Would a wrap solve that? If the camaro is going to get beat up like crazy, I wouldn't want to splurge too much on a higher trim/expensive car.

Question 3: Anything I should specifically look for knowing I'm probably buying a used car? (I'm aware of some things such as the v8 shudder, but unsure of others for 2lt or 2ss)

Feel free to provide any other tips!

Thanks in advance!
Old 03-03-2019, 09:14 AM   #2
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
the dreaded A8 shudder is possible with all engines.if youre not racing (probably not with children involved) the 4 or 6 are perfectly fine.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #3
IAI80

Drives: 2016 1LT V6 A8
I was in a similar situation. In my case I leave the car outside in a parking lot about half of each month while I’m out of town. There was no way I could justify big dolllars. I bought a 2016 V6 with 10K miles on it. It was a CPO, so that gives me another 1 year / 12K bumper to bumper warranty beyond the 3 / 36K which expires this month. I was concerned about the A8 because it was the first year for the Camaro (wasn’t aware of the shudder issue at the time though). So the CPO status takes the powertrain to 6 year / 100K. The car is at 24K with no issues so far. I took the car on a 900 mile road trip last summer (all interstate or highway) and saw 35MPG for the trip with the cruise set at a leisurely +5 over the speed limit. I like that capability on 87 octane. I have done nothing to try and fight rock chips. People come off the gravel roads onto the interstate around here...feels like a losing battle. I touch them up and move on. I wouldn’t say they are any worse than any other car I’ve owned. There are threads on here describing countermeasures others have taken.

I’ve also managed two northern winters now on the all season tires. Would have had to invest in a second set of rims / tires in an SS. From what I’ve read, you wouldn’t want to mess around with the summer tires even on a rainy 40 degree day.

Last edited by IAI80; 03-03-2019 at 11:14 AM.
IAI80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 11:02 AM   #4
NYJets12

Drives: 2018 1LT Camaro
Get a 6 cheaper gas and i wouldn’t get a turbo v4 if you paid me. Not because it’s. a 4 but who knows how long a turbo will last any brand not just chevy . I was looking online before I got my 6 cyl. and turbocharged engines from 2012-14 were dying after 2-3 years. All makes not chevy peticularly .
Use cruise control on the highway your mpg will be higher than not using it on my car and my previous car it was anyway probably because your not touching the gas the computer is controlling it.
As for the wrap several people on here have them hopefully someone will answer that for you.
Take it for a long test drive first so you don’t end up with the shudder.
Maybe somebody on here can tell you how to make it happen going fast, slow, etc.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:43 AM   #5
protovack

Drives: 2019 2LT 2.0T M6 Riverside Blue
For a daily driver the 4 or 6 is your best bet. Id get a cheaper one. The paint is very fragile. If this is your first camaro, spend less and figure out what you really want. Try out the 2.0 you might really like it. You can get serious deals on them. Imo the ss is way too much car for most people especially if you are commuting a lot, the dollars will add up fast.
protovack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:43 PM   #6
craigss50

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Fifty
I just got the latest Consumers Reports and it states what we already know that the GM 8 speed auto is rated far below average for repairs due to transmission issues. It is however, a very good performance transmission and fun. That said, if you get a long warranty and are prepared to get rid of the car after the warranty runs out then the 6 cyc auto would be a good choice. I would stay away from the 4 as most magazines say it is not as pleasing to drive as the six or eight and as others have stated turbo 4s can lead to issues down the road. The six is a great engine as is the eight.

I bought the eight purely for the awesome sound and I don't have a commute except to my gym 2 miles away.
craigss50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:03 PM   #7
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
1. The V6 with the auto trans gives you good power and awesome fuel economy on 87 octane gas, 34-35 mpg is easily attainable if you don't get on the throttle too much.

2. The paint is good, especially the colors with metallic flakes, but very brittle. You will need splash guards from day 1. If you are picky about rock chip galore on the front bumper, fenders and quarter panels, you will need a wrap no matter the trim level or options you choose.

3. Unfortunately the A8 transmission/torque converter/tune combination apparently has a design issue regardless of the engine it is mated with (8L45 for the I4 and V6, 8L90 for the V8), see the shudder references in previous replies and all around the forum. However, if you have a good dealership, they will take care of you under the powertrain warranty, in which case it becomes a nuisance rather than a dealbreaker. Also, once the warranty runs out, you can get the transmission tuned, which fixed the issue for a great many people (in fact I don't recall a single person here with a tuned A8 and a not-yet-destroyed torque converter to experience the issue afterwards).

Of course, another option is to avoid the A8 altogether and get a new 2019 SS that has the (lower spec version) of the A10 transmission that does not have this issue, but that constrains you to a V8 and obviously comes at a higher price.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:23 PM   #8
Captain J

Drives: 2017 V6 RS Covertible
I've got a 2017 V6 RS Vert as a daily driver. Using regular gas, in town, I can average 22 +/- MPG. On road trips, if I'm not crazy on the throttle, it'll average 28-32 MPG. If you go the SS route, I believe they come with summer only tires that makes the car uselsss in the cold/snow. Rock chips are gonna happen- especially on the interstate. Get some touch up paint when you buy the car. I added deluxe rock guards from ZL1 Add-ons (link below). They'll help with rock chips. You can clear wrap the front end to help also.

https://zl1addons.com
Captain J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #9
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
If you do the math, turbo 4 vs V6 is a wash. Slightly better mpg with the 4 but premium gas vs regular for the 6. I bought a used 2LT RS auto convertible and couldn't be happier. Living in congested NJ, I rarely get to open it up, just too much traffic and too many cops, so the SS would be a waste for me. I bought the car from a Florida dealer after seeing it on the Manheim auction site online. Only 700 miles on it and I got it for 28k and had it shipped for $400 cash.
Here's another one I found: http://www.randlcarbroker.com/store/...nvertible.html
I know it's a 2 year old model year, but that's a new car, 466 miles, for $26,5k

Let me know what you think.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 03:59 PM   #10
Turbo18

Drives: 2018 Hot Wheels Camaro 2SS
Just to add my two cents...

A brief background...

I had a mint condition low mileage 2010 fully loaded RS with the V6 and automatic. I had it for roughly two years and LOVED it. The only reason I sold it was that I fell in love with a new 2018 "Hot Wheels" edition. Got it fully loaded 2SS coupe with automatic.

As much as I'm delighted with the insane brute force of the V8, based on what you mention (serious commuting and big miles likely to accumulate) my suggestion would be to get the V6. The V6 in 6th gen I think has 335 hp and is PLENTY quick/fun. Better on fuel both mileage and no need for premium. The V8 really is overkill although a delight lol.

If you like a manual transmission they are great on the 6th gen. I test drove a stick and was very tempted - had it been a pure "toy" I would've got the 6 speed. However, I do plan to use it as a main car and where I am the heavy traffic congestion tipped the scales in favour of the automatic (plus I have a number of other manual transmission sports car when I feel the need to shift my own gears).

I haven't driven the turbo 4 but from what I've read the consensus seems to be to go for the V6. Not much down side in extra cost/fuel but seems to be a more "fun" and I suspect more reliable in the long term engine.

Many Camaros were bought as "toys" so if you're patient and keep looking you can find "mint" low mileage cars out there used - and have someone else eat the 40% depreciation hit after a few years.

I bought my mint 2010 in 2016 with only 10,000 miles ! Was roughly half the price of a new one - and I got a good price when I sold it two years later. Unfortunately I'll take a big depreciation hit on the Hot Wheels Camaro but I plan to keep it for a long time.

So, bottom line, based on what you said, I would go for a used, low mileage, mint condition 6 cylinder Camaro.

Happy searching !
Turbo18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:08 PM   #11
17rsvert

Drives: 2017 HBM 2LT RS Convertible V6 A8
As far as gas mileage with the V6 auto vert, I have had highway trips, hour or 2 long, where my trip mileage was 34 to 37 mpg. My typical commute in traffic and side roads gets me 23 mpg average.
17rsvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:00 PM   #12
grampa_ss

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
You said life is short. So, my guess is the SS will put a bigger smile on your face than the other 2. Gas is so cheap, it's not even a concern.
Old 03-04-2019, 05:52 AM   #13
Jonster

Drives: 18 2SS Vert Hotwheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampa_ss View Post
You said life is short. So, my guess is the SS will put a bigger smile on your face than the other 2. Gas is so cheap, it's not even a concern.
Something I’ve been contemplating...but keep digressing because of practicality.

These insights were helpful so far! Thank you.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:58 AM   #14
merlin803

Drives: 2016 Summit White Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonster View Post
Something I’ve been contemplating...but keep digressing because of practicality.

These insights were helpful so far! Thank you.
I am going to have to be making the same decision soon and am also struggling with it.

My 16 SS lease is up later this year and I go back and forth on if I want to get another SS or move to a V6 or turbo.

My daily commute and 99% of my driving is city stop and go traffic, so I rarely get to utilize the additional power and what it comes down to is that I am going to need to drive the V6 and/or turbo to see if I can live with the power difference.

I will say that my 16SS has had the A8 trans issue (flushed about a year ago and the "rumble" has not returned but I still have a groan sometimes from the differential area when turning).

So, if I do decide to go with an SS, I myself would have to go with a 2019 so I don't have to worry about the trans (a manual is really not an option for a few reasons).
merlin803 is offline   Reply With Quote