Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-15-2019, 08:23 PM   #211
wwiiavfan

Drives: 2017 1SS Hyper Blue
Been watching this read for a while, and I think I’ve figured out why you’re not getting a big response.
I think you are taking the opposite approach to your design than you need. It seems like you are starting with the affordable lower-end design and trying to spice it up. That’s the equivalent of plucking a kid from the suburbs, putting gangsta clothes on him and dropping him in the projects. Sure he might have some of the look, but you can just tell it BS underneath.
IMHO, there are two truths in car design: 1) any design has to evoke emotion to be appealing, and 2) All visual impact of a car starts with the wheels.
Think about all the designs over the years that have been called beautiful or memorable. They all had designs that picked up the impact of the wheels and brought it into the body style. Swoopy fender lines, body lines that picked up the “motion” of the wheels and exaggerated it, etc. These things cause emotions in the viewer. 3rd gen Corvettes (which were terribly executed but people still loved them), Jaguar XKs, Aston Martin DBs, the list is long. The 6th gen Camaro has this to a much more subtle effect, but it’s there. I’m not getting that vibe when I look at yours.
I would go the other way: create a really emotional design that, for lack of a less corny description, stirs your soul. Something that looks like it just has to be fast without even starting the engine. Then start toning that down if necessary to get it affordable. By starting with the objective of creating an affordable design, you created a glass ceiling for yourself that no amount of duckbills and ground effects is going to fix.
Don’t quit, just reinvent yourself. 👍😀
wwiiavfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:28 PM   #212
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I realized after a comment I had made, as to who this car was aimed at that I wouldn't buy it myself, I began to wonder why and why not? My conclusion was that it was just a bit too soft as far as body lines. So I've been reworking things to give it a bit more edge, and a more substantial presence.

There are a LOT of changes on this version. I lowered the roof an inch; widened the cabin a couple of inches; reworked the entire front end. The part above the body seam is okay, but the front below the seam still needs some work. I put a 1 inch ridge along the top of the entire body side from front to back to literally give it some edge. I made a lot of adjustments to the back, including adding a ducktail to the upper part that's part of the body itself; not an add-on spoiler. I also noticed that at some point somehow I managed to increase the size of the exhaust pipes to be 3.3 inches. Don't have any idea how or when that happened. Obviously that's a ridiculous size pipe for a turbo 4 or 6, and that wouldn't even be on an 8. I resized them down to 2.75 inches which is much more realistic.

I made the overall stance of the car look a little more "down to the ground". The front grille area is hard to show in a picture, but the area at the bottom of the grille extends outward a good amount. I pulled the top of the grille area back quite a bit. I'm still deciding what to do about headlights; I just have one stuck in there for reference. I still have more work to do on the lower front, including brake cooling ducts.

I like this version better. Has the appearance of more substance to it. The ducktail on the back is a toss-up. What do you guys think? Too much? Not enough? Too retro?

Attachment 978698
Attachment 978699
Attachment 978700
Attachment 978701
I just noticed it has Camaro badge on the side.
Since your talking about it being a new Pony car you need to come up with a name
Old 03-15-2019, 09:40 PM   #213
CCG Garnet Red

Drives: 2017 RS Garnet Red Tintcoat A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
I realized after a comment I had made, as to who this car was aimed at that I wouldn't buy it myself, I began to wonder why and why not? My conclusion was that it was just a bit too soft as far as body lines. So I've been reworking things to give it a bit more edge, and a more substantial presence.

There are a LOT of changes on this version. I lowered the roof an inch; widened the cabin a couple of inches; reworked the entire front end. The part above the body seam is okay, but the front below the seam still needs some work. I put a 1 inch ridge along the top of the entire body side from front to back to literally give it some edge. I made a lot of adjustments to the back, including adding a ducktail to the upper part that's part of the body itself; not an add-on spoiler. I also noticed that at some point somehow I managed to increase the size of the exhaust pipes to be 3.3 inches. Don't have any idea how or when that happened. Obviously that's a ridiculous size pipe for a turbo 4 or 6, and that wouldn't even be on an 8. I resized them down to 2.75 inches which is much more realistic.

I made the overall stance of the car look a little more "down to the ground". The front grille area is hard to show in a picture, but the area at the bottom of the grille extends outward a good amount. I pulled the top of the grille area back quite a bit. I'm still deciding what to do about headlights; I just have one stuck in there for reference. I still have more work to do on the lower front, including brake cooling ducts.

I like this version better. Has the appearance of more substance to it. The ducktail on the back is a toss-up. What do you guys think? Too much? Not enough? Too retro?

Attachment 978698
Attachment 978699
Attachment 978700
Attachment 978701
Sorry, now it looks 3/4 like a Challenger from the side with a Camaro styled front cap that looks too small.
CCG Garnet Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 03:05 AM   #214
SteevK

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper blue A8 NPP MRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
Who cares about sales , if sales mattered I would have been driving a Chrysler K car . 1982 Camaro year is the worst ever by far .
That's because they didn't intro the new-for-1982 model until Spring. I know, I bought one.

I ordered it as a carb'd 4MT and waited and waited and waited. Kept getting stalled by the dealer. Talked to factory rep who said they ran out of 4MT trannys, so I switched to 3AT - delivered in early August. What I didn't find out until Oct, was that they were phasing out the 4MT for a 5MT with O/D, they also put a 4AT with O/D...
Old 04-03-2019, 05:49 PM   #215
Lt1 Ghost

Drives: 2017 Camaro ss
Looks like a kit car.
Lt1 Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:08 PM   #216
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt1 Ghost View Post
Looks like a kit car.
If you think you can draw it better, by all means do give it a shot.

Norm
Old 04-04-2019, 05:10 PM   #217
Sesiom Summers

Drives: 94 Z28 / 01 Z28 / 2015 50th GT
Send a message via MSN to Sesiom Summers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
If you think you can draw it better, by all means do give it a shot.

Norm

Agree.. people here are like "look like shit..." and they can barely use a pencil.... LOL