Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #1
thrashergrant

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Can't figure out No Lift Shift. Redline ensues. What gives?!

I have 4500 miles on my ss 1LE and have attempted to perform a No Lift Shift a few times since the break in period expired.

I am performing it at, or slightly above the target 5000 rpm(specific to the 1LE LT1) with the pedal to the floor. I've followed these instructions( https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ght=lift+shift ) from Al himself and still cannot get it right. Each time I dump the clutch to perform the shift(with the pedal to the floor), the RPM shoots to redline and the red lights on the HUD are lit up like the 4th of July. The most recent time this has happened, I know I had Active Rev Match ON. Is that part of the issue?

I have redlined the car twice now and feel like I am abusing the car. I want to get this feature to work but am a little gun shy to give it another try without seeking help first.

Also, how bad is it that I've redlined the car twice? I'm sure these cars can take a beating but with mine still so new, I don't want to be putting too much stress on it.

Thanks for the help.
thrashergrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:27 PM   #2
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
I have also tried using it a few times and don't think I am doing it correctly either, as it is not smooth and is pretty jerky when I let the clutch out.

I tried it in Comp. mode within Sport mode.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 03:30 PM   #3
thrashergrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I have also tried using it a few times and don't think I am doing it correctly either, as it is not smooth and is pretty jerky when I let the clutch out.

I tried it in Comp. mode within Sport mode.
My attempts have felt pretty jerky as well. I've also tried it in track mode. Same result unfortunately.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:46 PM   #4
Laststandard

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE
The clutch switch on these things is very sensitive. When I've fumbled the NLS it's because I've because I've touched the clutch with my foot before I was ready to make the shift.

NLS works the same in any mode, and it's not a smooth shift anyways.

You won't cause any issues hitting redline. The rev limiter is there for a reason.
Old 12-21-2018, 04:33 PM   #5
Move_Over

Drives: ISO ss 1le
Oh man, it took me forever to figure it out, but my last day at barber i figured it out and it was awesome lol. I have to disagree with the above poster because once i figured it out, it is very smooth, almost feels like an automatic transmission shifting.

Been driving manuals for 20 years so muscle memory takes over with the NLS and my foot wants to come off the accelerator. But you have to keep the hammer down, if you even flinch off the throttle it will not be smooth. Do not touch the clutch until you are ready to shift.
Move_Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 05:08 PM   #6
thrashergrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laststandard View Post
The clutch switch on these things is very sensitive. When I've fumbled the NLS it's because I've because I've touched the clutch with my foot before I was ready to make the shift.

NLS works the same in any mode, and it's not a smooth shift anyways.

You won't cause any issues hitting redline. The rev limiter is there for a reason.
This may be my issue. I have always been conscious of the fact that my foot needed to be off the clutch, but maybe I need to go really out of my way to make a dedicated effor an ensure I’m not even touching the clutch pedal.

Thanks for giving me some peace of mind about hitting redline. I know there’s a built in cut-off but it just feels so bad to make the car do that.
Old 12-21-2018, 05:11 PM   #7
CrazyCatGuy
I'm the cats pajamas baby

The clutch pedal in these cars seems extremely sensitive to minor input before actually pressing it down. I'm constantly getting the "release clutch pedal warning" on my dash and i'm just resting my foot on it.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:48 PM   #8
7speed

Drives: 21 SS
Not sure why you would be trying no lift shift at anything less than close to redline.

Take it to at least 6000 and then you will see how it supposed to work.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:05 PM   #9
Tim M

Redline denotes the operating range of the engine. No 'harm' in using the rpm...does incur more wear...

I'd think shifting it at a higher rpm would provide a smoother shift due to the rpm drop vs gear ratio change.

My car wasn't reliable on the shift - unsure why...
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 08:24 PM   #10
samr350

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
You're most likely resting your foot on the clutch pedal, or you're not 100% foot to the floor with the gas, it can be a little tricky to make sure the throttle is all the way down. Also try shifting a little higher in the rev range but there's no need to be at redline. And no lift shift will work in any mode as well. It will take some practice to get the shifts smooth but once you do it works great.
samr350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 10:27 PM   #11
Gasoline_Farts

Drives: 19 SS 1LE
I can’t wait for breakin to be over so I can hear the backfires when it fuel cuts for the shift!
Gasoline_Farts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 11:51 PM   #12
FNxR3DNECK

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7speed View Post
Not sure why you would be trying no lift shift at anything less than close to redline.

Take it to at least 6000 and then you will see how it supposed to work.
This right here! Now that I’m used to it I use NLS 99% of the time in track for the 3-4 and 4-5 shifts. The key is you gotta wait at least until 6k, 6000-6250 is perfect as long you are fast it won’t peg the limiter and the shift is super smooth!!!
Old 12-22-2018, 07:14 AM   #13
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
My experience with NLS has been very hit and miss. I've been very conscientious to ensure that I have the gas pedal all the way down, my foot completely off the clutch and the engine within the target RPM range. Sometimes it works great, and other times it bounces off the rev limiter. It seems completely random.

The only possible explanation that I can think of is that the throttle position isn't always reaching the threshold for NLS to work, even though I feel like I am pushing hard on the pedal. I suspect this may have to do with where my foot is on the throttle. In other words if I push near the top, I'll move the throttle enough to reach the trigger point. But if my foot slips down, I may not be moving throttle far enough. Unfortunately, I've never had a really good opportunity to test this.

Nigel
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 08:27 AM   #14
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
I like NLS. There’s absolutely no fuel cutoff when I do it and its fish tail city from 1-2, squirrelly from 2-3, chirps in 3-4 and well, that’s as far as I take it. That might have a lot to do with my tune, however. I’ve been meaning to talk to Pray about that.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1le, no lift shift, redline