Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 02-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #1
ALacorte515

Drives: 2016 2LT Vert
V6 owners, What type of gas are you using?

I currently own a 2013 2LT and for the last 3+ years I've used regular gas on it. Some people say it matters and some say it doesn't. Last week I put my order in for a 2016 2LT V6 Vert so I was wondering what kind of gas have you guys been using and why? Thanks for the responses!
ALacorte515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:11 AM   #2
Zultain7

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
for the V6, you just use regular. Some people use premium in it because they say it runs better or better for the car. Because of the computer systems in cars today putting a higher tier gas does little to no effect on a car that uses regular. Even on some cars, I dont know if the V6 Camaro is one of them, They can actually receive a lower MPG due to the higher tier fuel. You should usually stick with what is being said by the manufacturer when it comes to fuel. I can put regular in my SS, but it will run poorer, and the same with putting a higher tier gas in your V6. You just probably wont see any benefit to a higher gas, just notice more money gone.
3000 Status on 9/3
3300 Status on 10/8
3400 Status on 10/9
3800 Status on 10/19
Delivery 12/28
Zultain7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
choosing gas is like choosing your oil brand, because our cars are a hobby and we're enthusiasts, we always try and "tweak" what the manual says...

I'm over that...I use 87 unleaded, never had a single knock.....
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:17 AM   #4
Zack46

Drives: 2018 2SS Camaro Hot Wheels Edition
I have been putting regular gas in my new '16 2LT V6 RS, just because that's all that it needs. I suppose I could put premium (higher octane) gas in there, But, I just don't feel a need. PLUS, I save a ton of money at the pump. Unfortunately, the V8 owners have no choice. They have to put the higher octane gas in theirs.

2018 Camaro 2SS Orange Crush Hot Wheels Limited Edition
Power Sunroof, 8 Speed Auto/Remote Start, NPP Exhaust
Production Sequence Number 98
NEOCC Camaro Club Member

Former Ride: 2016 Camaro 2LT RS V6 Hyper Blue Metallic
Zack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:48 AM   #5
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Even with V8, the car's engine will add or pull timing as needed to maintain proper stoichiometric air/fuel mixture. Though, due to other mechanical aspects of the V8 (cam etc), you run the risk of knocking with lower octane fuels (lower than 91).

The V6 can handle lower octanes better, but it will certainly benefit from higher octane by being able to maintain timing advance under load / heat better and longer than lower octane fuels that will cause the ecu to pull timing. Higher octane fuels also cause less buildup - generally. In many areas around the country, higher octane fuels are sometimes created that way by adding more ethanol and ethanol can/will attract water.

I always put premium in. But I dont have huge commutes to work everyday and so I dont go through a tank of gas a week.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:56 AM   #6
bpang1234
You can only YOLO once.

Drives: '16 2SS & '15 Subaru Forester
Whatever the car is rated for, you should use that. Putting in 92-octane on a car rated for 87 isn't going to do anything other than make your bank account a few dollars lighter.

Cars are tuned for certain levels of octane. SOME cars can run a lower octane than what they are tuned for (for instance most turbocharged cars) but the computer will pull back timing or make the mixture richer to compensate making you lose power. However, on the flip side, putting in a higher octane than a car is tuned for will not make the ECU give you more horsepower through timing or fuel mixture.
-1st Car to have the "full" SEMA High Performance Graphics kit from 6LEDesigns.
-1st Car to have the 6LEDesigns Blade Spoiler.
-Borla S-Type w/ custom H-Pipe
-Procharger P-1X Stage 2
bpang1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:03 PM   #7
Modshack

Drives: 2SS, Hyper Blue
Get yourself a Diablo Intune and run the 93 program. It should really wake this engine up...It did on my '15 Colorado..
Old 02-17-2016, 12:09 PM   #8
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpang1234 View Post
Whatever the car is rated for, you should use that. Putting in 92-octane on a car rated for 87 isn't going to do anything other than make your bank account a few dollars lighter.

Cars are tuned for certain levels of octane. SOME cars can run a lower octane than what they are tuned for (for instance most turbocharged cars) but the computer will pull back timing or make the mixture richer to compensate making you lose power. However, on the flip side, putting in a higher octane than a car is tuned for will not make the ECU give you more horsepower through timing or fuel mixture.
The same mechanism that allows your ecu to pull timing because the gas is predetonating (lower octane) works to not pull timing and advance timing due to higher octane gas being used. You wont see the effect until the engine is being loaded while fully heated up. Lower octane fuel will have timing pulled compared to higher and that equates to losing performance for non-nitrous / boosted cars.

Nobody is saying you'll gain performance, you'll maintain what's currently possible (basically the kind of performance you see when the car is not heat soaked). It's better because you maintain a higher timing advance and the fuel is generally cleaner than 87.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:12 PM   #9
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
LOTS of endless debate on this. My experience has to do with the last gen's LLT and LFX engines, so this may not apply to the LGX, but I'd bet it does more than it doesn't.

The short of it. The V6 is designed to run on regular and it should run just fine on regular.

But that does not mean it is tuned and designed for only 87. It simply means the car has the knock resistance and monitoring, and tune tables required for the car to run good and safely on 87. It does not mean the car cannot and will not run better on a higher octane gas.

Evidence:

1) It was proven on the LLT/LFX that the computer detected less knock and pulled less timing on 93 compared to 87 (could have been 91...not really sure any more)
2) A tuner showed us that the LLT/LLT have multiple tables of timing based on the octane level detected.
3) A dyno run showed only a very minor (negligible) gain on 93 versus 87, but the pulls were consistently smoother.

So take that as you will. 93 is not going to wildly change the power on the V6....but if you are someone that wants what I'd consider the happiest running engine, I feel it is the way to go.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:18 PM   #10
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
My LFX 3.6 L in my SRX gets 87 every fill up, no need for any higher octane. Runs awesome!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:33 PM   #11
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
This
Attached Images

MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 12:42 PM   #12
cellsafemode

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiBlueCamaro View Post
This
I wish i had easy access to 93 out here in california, but i'm not sure I like it that much over 91 to go the distance of Miami, FL to Illinois to fill up
Old 02-17-2016, 12:47 PM   #13
MiamiBlueCamaro

Drives: Gen 6 Camaro RS
If i need to go to Illinois then i use this
Attached Images

MiamiBlueCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 03:27 PM   #14
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
During break in I filled with 91 octane. Didn't do it for any specific reason and I have no idea if it makes any difference. Just figured it couldn't hurt.

Last fill up I just got regular unleaded. I haven't noticed any difference at all. Current price differences here are around 30 cents a gallon x 18 gallons = $5.40

edit: one thing I won't do is use "cheap" gas. Always Chevron, Exxon, Shell, Texaco.