Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 03-30-2018, 08:09 AM   #1
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
LT4 vs LT5

Just watched RPMs video of the first ZR1 on the dyno with the new LT5. It dynos in the 66X range with the highest being 668 rwhp (about what a stock Hellcat puts down. It had my thinking. I know plenty of us want to see an LT5 powered ZL1, but it probably won't happen. Do you think it's possible to convert an LT4 into an LT5? What is needed for such a conversion? I know the blower and suplemental port injection fuel system are needed, but are there any other crucial pieces to the puzzle?
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:14 AM   #2
SliChillax

Drives: Camaro ZL1 A10, F-Type R, RR Sport
Why convert it to an LT5 when you can do so much more for less money if you go aftermarket?
SliChillax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 08:16 AM   #3
Blackdevil77

Quote:
Originally Posted by SliChillax View Post
Why convert it to an LT5 when you can do so much more for less money if you go aftermarket?
Just for OEM parts with OEM R&D and reliability. The blower is gonna be available from the after market. It's mostly the port injection fueling system I'm interested in, since running out of fuel seems to be a problem unless you go cam and/or meth. Neither of which I want to do.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:28 AM   #4
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
Cost you a fortune if you go the OEM route. Remember the crank is different.
GM must of saw a need for the new crank with 755HP.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:38 AM   #5
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Anything is possible. I think it would be more cost efficient to spend your hard earned money modding your LT4.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 09:16 AM   #6
Blackdevil77

Yeah I'm sure there are cheaper ways to make the power, no doubt. I just like the idea of oem parts
Old 03-30-2018, 09:59 AM   #7
Vulcan1

Drives: 2018 Hyper Metallic Blue ZL-1 M6
To the OP, if I read your post correctly your asking and answering your own question. Yes there are going to be many large and small differences between the two platforms but in my opinion you hit the two critical components on the head, Supercharger and fuel. Adding a comparable size Supercharger with port fuel system with tune and your there in terms of HP.
I think I read the LT-5 uses a 2.9l Supercharger, there’s a company now offering the Whipple modified for the auxiliary fuel supply they offer. It piggy backs off of the factory wiring harness.
12k in cost and you now have HP and no sacrifice in drivability. You would never know it’s under the hood unless you opened it.
Vulcan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 10:08 AM   #8
NicD

Drives: Camaro
The port injection computer works in tandem with the E99 ECM in those vehicles and it's totally different hardware than what is in these vehicles. Be thankful we have the E92s in these and not the encrypted E99s because the ZR1s may not be tunable for quite a while. The LT5 blower with a separate port injection computer like Prospeed, Holley, etc is going to be the hot ticket on these cars and the Z06s.
Old 03-30-2018, 10:51 AM   #9
Blackdevil77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan1 View Post
To the OP, if I read your post correctly your asking and answering your own question. Yes there are going to be many large and small differences between the two platforms but in my opinion you hit the two critical components on the head, Supercharger and fuel. Adding a comparable size Supercharger with port fuel system with tune and your there in terms of HP.
I think I read the LT-5 uses a 2.9l Supercharger, there’s a company now offering the Whipple modified for the auxiliary fuel supply they offer. It piggy backs off of the factory wiring harness.
12k in cost and you now have HP and no sacrifice in drivability. You would never know it’s under the hood unless you opened it.
Those 2 things were the main two things I knew about. I wasn't sure if there was something else I was missing. I just learned about the different crank in this thread, I didn't know that was different.

The LT5 uses a TVS 2650 (2650 CC's). A little smaller than the 2.9l, but still bigger than any OEM blower used before it (I think at least). There's gonna be a TVS 2650 hitting the aftermarket from Magnuson sometime soon, that should be a great alternate upgrade as well. That combined with a supplemental port injection fueling system and things should be looking good. How reliable are those auxiliary fuel supplies? Definitely wouldn't want one of those to fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicD View Post
The port injection computer works in tandem with the E99 ECM in those vehicles and it's totally different hardware than what is in these vehicles. Be thankful we have the E92s in these and not the encrypted E99s because the ZR1s may not be tunable for quite a while. The LT5 blower with a separate port injection computer like Prospeed, Holley, etc is going to be the hot ticket on these cars and the Z06s.
I'm not that familiar with the additional port injection computers you speak of. Have any of those been done yet with the LT4's?

In time, it'll definitely be cracked.
Old 03-30-2018, 11:09 AM   #10
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Instead of trying to make it work, I say just leave your car alone, maybe do some bolt ons or something to keep you satisfied and wait for the newer car to come out. That's just my opinion but once you build a car, it doesn't matter as much if you're faster than your buddies stock/mostly stock Hellcat. Once you're modified, all bets are off, because at that point, it's a game of who's going to spend more money or tear up their car more.

The LT5 should be put in the ZL1. But it will never happen. It will never make it into a Camaro period. First off, did they ever drop the LS9 into a Camaro? Nope. Putting 755 HP into a Camaro that's already as good as a Corvette in many ways puts it WAY above every Corvette except for a ZR1. Never going to happen.

The LT5 uses a 2650 (2.6L) blower, the LT4 uses a 1740 (1.7L) blower, and the previous LS9 used a 2300 (2.3L) blower, and the LSA used a 1900 (1.9L) blower. Because of this, the LT4 happens to run the hottest and make the least power mod for mod (Maybe around the same as the LSA).

So if you are after more power, then a Whipple 2.9L or waiting for the 2650 from Magnuson, fueling, and maybe headers, is the way to go. Or you can push the stock blower further.

The E99 will be tunable at some point, matter of time. They said the same thing about the E92. I expect the LT5 to make 750-800 RWHP on full bolt ons, over 850 RWHP with a cam, and as much as 1000 RWHP to the tire with full build on E/Meth.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 12:32 PM   #11
NicD

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdevil77 View Post
I'm not that familiar with the additional port injection computers you speak of. Have any of those been done yet with the LT4's?
Yes I've done one already and another is in the pipeline. The last one I tuned made over 1000 rwhp with the Prospeed ACM, no meth injection either.

Quote:
In time, it'll definitely be cracked.
I never say never, but it's on the same level as the new diesel ECMs. GM REALLY doesn't want people monkeying with it.
Old 03-30-2018, 05:21 PM   #12
drfeelgood

Drives: 2017 ZL1 Convertible A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
Instead of trying to make it work, I say just leave your car alone, maybe do some bolt ons or something to keep you satisfied and wait for the newer car to come out. That's just my opinion but once you build a car, it doesn't matter as much if you're faster than your buddies stock/mostly stock Hellcat. Once you're modified, all bets are off, because at that point, it's a game of who's going to spend more money or tear up their car more.

The LT5 should be put in the ZL1. But it will never happen. It will never make it into a Camaro period. First off, did they ever drop the LS9 into a Camaro? Nope. Putting 755 HP into a Camaro that's already as good as a Corvette in many ways puts it WAY above every Corvette except for a ZR1. Never going to happen.

The LT5 uses a 2650 (2.6L) blower, the LT4 uses a 1740 (1.7L) blower, and the previous LS9 used a 2300 (2.3L) blower, and the LSA used a 1900 (1.9L) blower. Because of this, the LT4 happens to run the hottest and make the least power mod for mod (Maybe around the same as the LSA).

So if you are after more power, then a Whipple 2.9L or waiting for the 2650 from Magnuson, fueling, and maybe headers, is the way to go. Or you can push the stock blower further.

The E99 will be tunable at some point, matter of time. They said the same thing about the E92. I expect the LT5 to make 750-800 RWHP on full bolt ons, over 850 RWHP with a cam, and as much as 1000 RWHP to the tire with full build on E/Meth.
Those projected numbers are insane... not insane that they can't happen, insane that a $120k car, with $30k build can do 1000whp.

I foresee a built 2021 ZR1 in my future
'17 White ZL1 A10 Convertible - TM ported TB - RotoFab CAI - 2.3" griptech upper pulley - Kooks 1 7/8" Headers with High Flow Cats - Borla S-type Catback - Audio Overhaul - NavTV M650-GM - 20" BlackDiForza- Michelin Pilot Sport4S - Tuned at BRC Raceworks (606rwhp/675trq)

'14 CTS-V Coupe - ZL1 lid - Ported TB - Ported Snout - AirRad CAI - 8.66" lower - 2.55" upper- Greenbelt - SW Headers - SW Catback - Varimax Intercooler Pump - Track Attack Intercooler-Tuned at BRC Raceworks (551rwhp/516trq)

'17 Maserati Levante- STOCK
drfeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2018, 05:38 PM   #13
Blackdevil77

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicD View Post
Yes I've done one already and another is in the pipeline. The last one I tuned made over 1000 rwhp with the Prospeed ACM, no meth injection either.
That's pretty cool. I just did a search, the Weapon-X port injection system popped up. Looks promising, especially if it can be tuned properly.
Old 03-31-2018, 08:47 AM   #14
FringBirdAloha

Drives: Pre-production ZL1 M6
Quote:
Just watched RPMs video of the first ZR1 on the dyno with the new LT5. It dynos in the 66X range with the highest being 668 rwhp (about what a stock Hellcat puts down. It had my thinking. I know plenty of us want to see an LT5 powered ZL1, but it probably won't happen. Do you think it's possible to convert an LT4 into an LT5? What is needed for such a conversion? I know the blower and suplemental port injection fuel system are needed, but are there any other crucial pieces to the puzzle?
Why do you say it won’t happen? Why have a bunch of LT5’s sitting around and not use them? They’re gonna get a year of exclusivity with the Corvette ZR1 and then after that 2-3 more years shared with the 6th gen Camaro before the C8 midengine takes over with DOHC and turbo charged engines

GM didn’t spend this much money developing the LT5 to use it for a year or two and then shelve it.

Plus, the ZR1 is selling unbelievably well right now, even for a $140,000 dollar car. What makes you think GM wouldn’t stuff the LT5, CCBrakes, and an even more aggressive aero package into the Camaro and charge 80k for it? I’d certainly pay 80k for ZR1 performance that would normally cost 140k.

Plus the LT5 is the only way the Camaro will see a sub 7 minute ring time record that Al just recently mentioned he wanted to try to achieve.

Save your money....
FringBirdAloha is offline   Reply With Quote