Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 03-30-2021, 10:13 AM   #1
Fredbooxe

Drives: Ford Fiesta ST
Sanity Check

Thinking seriously about a 1SS 1LE. My big concern has been visibility, and this was put to rest after driving a 15k mile 2019 V6 with its 1LE package. I’m ok with the visibility.

I’ve been a little hesitant to drive one sooner because I’ve been certain that once I did I would have to have one. Unfortunately it had the opposite effect on me. Now I’m really uncertain if I want one. The reason is that I didn’t enjoy it in the corners like I expected. I didn’t have a good feel for the road or front traction in the steering wheel, and I found the rear end to be very slippery. Most of my driving (and my short test drive) is on 20 to 60 mph corners, so relatively tight. It had stock tires & as far as I know the car I drove is otherwise stock. Temperature was high 50s.

Curious to know whether this is typical - maybe these cars come into their element at 60mph plus? Or maybe it's just my bad driving habits being used to lightweight front drive cars? I also wondered if these tires need a lot more heat. Or perhaps some other explanation entirely!

At this point my bank account is a bit relieved, but given everything I’ve read about these cars, I don’t trust my current impressions.
Fredbooxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:18 AM   #2
Spaceme1117

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS, 2011 Corvette GS
I just purchased a used 2017 2SS and it is completely opposite of what you describe.

My car does not have the magnetic ride shocks and is not a 1LE but I find it drives spectacularly and is very stable and predictable.

50F is a bit cold especially if it had summer tires. A lot of summer tires don’t really come alive until the temps are well into the 70’s.
Spaceme1117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:22 AM   #3
Nothing like an SS
Faster!!!

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Tire temp is everything on 1LE. They never got warm, so, they are quite slippery. When warm, this thing is GLUED to the pavement! Like a huge, chunky Miata, you can toss it around quite nicely!

If in doubt, try again when it is 70 degrees or above, see if that doesn't feel very different.
Nothing like an SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:07 AM   #4
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
if you were driving that car hard in indiana any time in the last 6 months, you will be disappointed. the tires are very picky about road temperature. i could go out in the summer on an 80* day and the car stuck like glue. 70* 4 hours after sundown and the car would be all over the place.

the v8 cars are not light girls. they depend heavily on the tire for traction in all scenarios.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:38 AM   #5
mcintyre1969

Drives: 1968 SS/RS, 2006 H2 2016 2SS White
Maybe stick with a V6
Old 03-30-2021, 11:41 AM   #6
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
It really depends on where you are coming from.

If you are used to family cars or cars without much power in general, throttle control is pretty important in these cars. You can't just mash it without thinking about it, you now have to think about how much throttle to put down without the tires spinning.

When I first got my C7, I was also spinning the tires plenty initially because I didn't any FR/FMR cars with that much power before. Doesn't take long to learn, though.

And yeah, F1 Supercar 3 doesn't perform too well in the cold. If you really want to explore their magic, sign up for a track day.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 11:51 AM   #7
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredbooxe View Post
Thinking seriously about a 1SS 1LE. My big concern has been visibility, and this was put to rest after driving a 15k mile 2019 V6 with its 1LE package. I’m ok with the visibility.

I’ve been a little hesitant to drive one sooner because I’ve been certain that once I did I would have to have one. Unfortunately it had the opposite effect on me. Now I’m really uncertain if I want one. The reason is that I didn’t enjoy it in the corners like I expected. I didn’t have a good feel for the road or front traction in the steering wheel, and I found the rear end to be very slippery. Most of my driving (and my short test drive) is on 20 to 60 mph corners, so relatively tight. It had stock tires & as far as I know the car I drove is otherwise stock. Temperature was high 50s.

Curious to know whether this is typical - maybe these cars come into their element at 60mph plus? Or maybe it's just my bad driving habits being used to lightweight front drive cars? I also wondered if these tires need a lot more heat. Or perhaps some other explanation entirely!

At this point my bank account is a bit relieved, but given everything I’ve read about these cars, I don’t trust my current impressions.
OP, unless you are going to track and price is a consideration, consider the LT1 model which has SS handling and speed (and sound) Check one out.

To me NPP is a must. But even a no option LT1 has a nice set of standard items. And you may find a few in the low $30sK. Pick up a set of used SS wheels and tires and you have a summer and cold weather setup.
Old 03-30-2021, 12:43 PM   #8
Aragorn
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro SS 1LE
Yeah only thing I can think of is that the gy tires we’re not sticking due to cold temps. As far as the cars tracking capabilities, even experts report that it’s phenomenal.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H4hqVLg8tks
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xjKjnbOsSEs
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 12:59 PM   #9
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing like an SS View Post
Tire temp is everything on 1LE. They never got warm, so, they are quite slippery. When warm, this thing is GLUED to the pavement! Like a huge, chunky Miata, you can toss it around quite nicely!

If in doubt, try again when it is 70 degrees or above, see if that doesn't feel very different.

I agree with the Miata comparison. My previous car was a track-prepped first gen Miata, and I describe my Camaro as "a fat Miata." It's a big girl that can really dance.

Very high performance summer tires are unfortunately finicky. They can be slippery because of temperature, age or the number of heat cycles they've been through. This is true regardless of what car they're on.

As for V6 versus V8, I test drove the V6 and V8 1LE cars. To me, the V6 felt lighter and more tossable, and a little more fun on the street. You know the adage, "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow." The SS 1LE is a superior car in a lot of ways, but it's $10k more and I often beat them at autocross. It is nice to get the great Camaro chassis at a lower price with the I4 or V6. The SS doesn't assert a major advantage on curvy roads until you throw in straightaways.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:07 PM   #10
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Most summer tires are going to drop off remarkably at about 60 degrees. Hard to know what is on the car, assume it's OE but who knows. My car will get traded in with it's snow tires on it so I'd bet some one would comment that it's not quite 'right', know what I mean?
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:44 PM   #11
NotFast

Drives: 2021 LT1
OP, any idea what tires were on this car?
NotFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 01:46 PM   #12
ARCamaroGuy

Drives: 2023 GMC 1500
Regular SS here. I have to say, it almost disgusting how much grip this car has in corners when the tires are warm. I take turns at speeds I have no business making that would roll/wreck most vehicles I've had in the past. It is an absolute blast to drive.
Traded Feb 2022 for a C7
ARCamaroGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 02:57 PM   #13
Fredbooxe

Drives: Ford Fiesta ST
Thanks for the replies. This confirms my suspicions about my drive. I’ll be sure to have another go at it on a warm day.

Tires on the V6 1LE I drove were the stock Eagle F1s.

If I do end up with a new one it will definitely be a V8. I have a fun, light, good handling daily driver with a motorcycle-sized engine, so I welcome some additional displacement!
Fredbooxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:34 PM   #14
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
V6/2.0T 1LE uses the same tires as non-1LE SS, which are fun flats stock.

SS 1LE uses the same tires as non-1LE ZL1, which are a bit more track-oriented than the standard SS and V6/2.0T 1LE.

If you don't go to the track, you could get something more daily-friendly, like the Michelin PS4S.

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote