Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-28-2021, 09:31 PM   #1
TTown918

Drives: 24 ZL1 (4Runner, CRV, Civic, Expl)
Camaro's Future

Anybody who is still holding out hope for a redesigned, next-gen internal combustion engine Camaro is, IMO, SOL. The only way the Camaro might survive past it's current iteration is as an electric.

Per CorvetteBlogger today:

"The writing has been on the wall for some time now regarding the end of vehicles being sold with an internal combustion engine. Today, a new post by GM’s Chairman and CEO Mary Barra on Linkedin says that General Motors intends to end production of all gas and diesel-powered cars, trucks, and SUVs by 2035 to reach its goal of being carbon neutral by 2040.

GM has pledged to use 100% renewable energy to power its US-based facilities by 2030 and global facilities by 2035. Barra also reiterated the company plans to introduce 30 new electric vehicles by 2025 with plans to spend $27 billion to make it happen."

There is no way a new (ICE) Camaro will be designed and sold given that agenda and pace of change.
TTown918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 09:44 PM   #2
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
That's why I bought my forever Camaro in 2018.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:21 PM   #3
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Virtue signaling at its finest.

Yes we know.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 10:47 PM   #4
95 imp
Dumb Ass Deluxe

Drives: A Tricked Out Mountain Bike
Looks like I won't be buying any new cars in a few years...
Old 01-28-2021, 11:03 PM   #5
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95 imp View Post
Looks like I won't be buying any new cars in a few years...
Get woke, go broke.

Are your reading this GM reps?

Exec’s don’t think rat trap .gov cheese be like it is, but it do.

Enjoy the few bites you get.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:18 AM   #6
c4racer

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
We've already seen C6Z06 prices jump $5-10K with the C8 transmission decision - I mean, that's one factor anyway. With the stock market about out of gas as a whole and all the major investment houses predicting 5-6% returns over the next 10 years, plus the pending asset inflation that all this money printing will cause - one might wonder if buying a pile of late model muscle cars and sports cars with manual transmissions might be a pretty good 15-25 year horizon investment.....

I mean - I could certainly at least make the case to buy a couple extras for my own personal consumption over the next 15-25 years right? Store them for 10 years. Because you know in 2030 nobody will be making cars like the C7 or SS-1LE or Z06 or ZL1 or M2/3/4/5, 911, etc. Wouldn't it be rather sweet to roll out of the garage in a brand new 2020 SS-1LE in 2030 when nothing like that is available new or even within the last few years.

Might suck if gas is also $15 a gallon. Probably will be in this country anyway. Maybe put a 10,000 gallon gas holding tank next to the warehouse where I keep my prizes....

You know it's a bit scary - Red Barchetta by Rush is one of my favorite songs, but I never thought I would live in a world where something like that would be the reality. Sadly - I was mistaken....
c4racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 12:35 AM   #7
genxer

Drives: multiple cars
Get one older diesel, one on E85, one a propane conversion. If enough of the EV stuff gets forced, gas could be a burnt off waste product of refineries again.

The powers-that-shouldn't-be probably would do it, too. Thinking that they'll leave you alone for weekend joy rides is a mistake. Marie Antoinette might have been naive enough to say "Let them eat cake" with good intent. These folks... not a chance.
genxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:38 AM   #8
MackSteelPrivateEye
Banned

Drives: 6 on the Flo' Super Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTown918 View Post
Anybody who is still holding out hope for a redesigned, next-gen internal combustion engine Camaro is, IMO, SOL. The only way the Camaro might survive past it's current iteration is as an electric.

Per CorvetteBlogger today:

"The writing has been on the wall for some time now regarding the end of vehicles being sold with an internal combustion engine. Today, a new post by GM’s Chairman and CEO Mary Barra on Linkedin says that General Motors intends to end production of all gas and diesel-powered cars, trucks, and SUVs by 2035 to reach its goal of being carbon neutral by 2040.

GM has pledged to use 100% renewable energy to power its US-based facilities by 2030 and global facilities by 2035. Barra also reiterated the company plans to introduce 30 new electric vehicles by 2025 with plans to spend $27 billion to make it happen."

There is no way a new (ICE) Camaro will be designed and sold given that agenda and pace of change.

The way things are now...the question should be ..America's Future.
MackSteelPrivateEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 01:50 AM   #9
samurai

Drives: C8 Corvette
Come guys, we are talking about 15 years from now. Electric engines are more efficient to get the power down since they don't depend on RPM. I am pretty sure a purely electric designed Camaro in 2035 will absolutely destroy what a current ZL1 delivers in terms of real world performance. Even right now a Tesla S Plaid is only 7 seconds behind the ZL1 1LE Nürburgring time.

Of course I love the V8 rumble and I think Chevy has to really think about how to make electric cars as emotional. But I am absolutely sure that in 2035 electric cars will have huge ranges like 1000 miles that can be filled up within a good amount of time while you are buying groceries or are at the gym, daily stuff like that.

As much as I am a V8 fan, I am also a performance fan. And I think there is no way around electric cars if you want to really have improvement compared to what we have now. Just look at the Corvette, where they had to go Midendgine to actually get better performance since they went against a barrier that can only be beat with very expensive parts with a front engine design.

Also: Carmakers don't live from one country alone, even though the NA market is pretty big. But with China, Europe and other regions going really strict in terms of emission laws for cars, if you want to be competitive and even be able to sell your cars in the future, you have to go electric fast. VWs ID3 is currently one of the best selling cars in Europe. Pretty sure ID4 and the other upcoming models will be a huge success too.
Old 01-29-2021, 02:19 AM   #10
Staves

Drives: women crazy
Plan on driving mine for the next 10yrs +.
Old 01-29-2021, 03:12 AM   #11
puppykat33

Drives: Black 2019 ZL1 M6,
well gents its not the performance aspect most have a problem with. The ISSUE MOST people have a problem with is the gov mandating this EV crap on the premis that it is better for the environment which if you have done any real research into lithium you would know it is in fact NOT better. It takes massive amounts of energy to properly dispose of, and it and puts off toxic gases that are worse for the environment than the emission put out by car engines. The reason you don't hear about it is that no one is effectively disposing of these lithium battery's yet, they are just piling up... I think china has some 5 million tons per yer produced and just sitting around because they cant dispose of it properly. Not to mention the lithium mines are horrific.. so this is the problem, when the government say its better and low information masses of people just buy what they are selling without actually looking into it.

The problem with agendas pushed like this is the people pushing them rarely ever consider the 2nd 3rd 4th order long term consequences of them. So lets take California's no gas engines by 2025/2035 and play a game. 1st order effect= all gas engine producers/manufactures in the state will half to close or convert resulting a loss of jobs, Gas engine aftermarket parts industries again loss of jobs. 2nd = gas stations will now half to convert to charging stations/gas stations in turn the price goes up of they simply close because they cant afford to keep up again loss of jobs. 3rd=price/cost for truckers delivering goods to the state will go up due to increased fuel cost in the state so now the price of everything goes up. 4th California already has an unstable power grid which cannot keep up with current demand at times so where are they going to find all the extra power so ppl can charge their cars at night? 5th since we have established the 1000% increase in demand for power where will it come from? are they going to build a nuclear plant? Hydro? ??? All horrible for the enviroment.. ALL of which defeat the clean green power initiate which they are trying to accomplish. not to mention how toxic lithium production/disposal is
Wake up people and research for your self.

I could go into who holds controlling interest in lithium ie stock holders from mining to charging stations and i bet you will find a lot of senators with stock holdings in these markets but this sounds like conspiracy theory and i like to just stick with FACTS
FACT= EV is not better for the environment..

FACT= since most of the us power comes from fossil fuels you are actually putting off more pollution charging your car than if you had a regular engine. Dont believe me? go look it up.

Speculation=But i bet this EV push it is better for someones wallet..
2019 Black ZL1, M6, CF Hood and Dash, Nav System, ZL1 Addons rock guards and lift points, Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, DD Smoked Marker Lights, Ceramic window tint, Gtechniq 9yr ceramic coating. JL Audio stealth box 12W6, Dyanamat trunk, Dead pedal cover, Soler TB/TC, Green Filter, Carbon-fiber Borla S-Type

Last edited by puppykat33; 01-29-2021 at 03:25 AM.
puppykat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 04:49 AM   #12
Nightfall ss1le

Drives: 2020 A10 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
That's why I bought my forever Camaro in 2018.
That’s how I feel too & I have no problem with keeping this car forever. Luckily I like Dodge too & we all know their answer to everything is slapping more motor in it lol. If GM keeps going this way I’ll be Mopar only.

2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE - 2" TSP catless headers, Pray Ported stock IM/TB, Rotofab dry, DSX FF kit, dyno tuned by Pray. SOLD
Nightfall ss1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 05:51 AM   #13
JT58

Drives: Former 2016 Camaro 1LT
This will be it for the gas engine Camaro- at least I think so. If you want one, get it now. Who knows if there will be an electric variant. I think the focus of new EZV's will be on SUV's and trucks. I am so glad that most if not all of my life will be in gas engine vehicles, given my current age. The future is electric, no way around it. It will be a major culture change- the infrastructure of gas stations changing to quick charge stations, etc.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:58 AM   #14
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by c4racer View Post
We've already seen C6Z06 prices jump $5-10K with the C8 transmission decision - I mean, that's one factor anyway. With the stock market about out of gas as a whole and all the major investment houses predicting 5-6% returns over the next 10 years, plus the pending asset inflation that all this money printing will cause - one might wonder if buying a pile of late model muscle cars and sports cars with manual transmissions might be a pretty good 15-25 year horizon investment.....

I mean - I could certainly at least make the case to buy a couple extras for my own personal consumption over the next 15-25 years right? Store them for 10 years. Because you know in 2030 nobody will be making cars like the C7 or SS-1LE or Z06 or ZL1 or M2/3/4/5, 911, etc. Wouldn't it be rather sweet to roll out of the garage in a brand new 2020 SS-1LE in 2030 when nothing like that is available new or even within the last few years.

Might suck if gas is also $15 a gallon. Probably will be in this country anyway. Maybe put a 10,000 gallon gas holding tank next to the warehouse where I keep my prizes....

You know it's a bit scary - Red Barchetta by Rush is one of my favorite songs, but I never thought I would live in a world where something like that would be the reality. Sadly - I was mistaken....
Gas goes bad so keeping 10k gals will do no good. We are screwed with good old Joe in office and we will never get the demwits out.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote