#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 07-24-2018, 12:23 AM   #1
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
First autocross impressions of V6 1LE, Nexen tires

Over the weekend I took my V6 1LE to its first two autocross events, and it was a blast. I will describe my impressions - and please accept my apologies, because what follows is a sure cure for insomnia unless you love autocross.

The car feels wide because of the limited visibility, but I found the car drives narrower than it feels. Also, it is very responsive to last minute steering corrections. There were a couple cones I was sure I'd hit, but the car surprised me at how quickly it could do a lane-change type of maneuver, plus it didn't lose composure when I did that; it could put power down right away. It drives like a fat Miata, which is a compliment.

When visually scanning ahead, I sometimes had to take a second look at the course ahead because the wide A-pillar gets in the way. I am coming from a first-gen Miata. I think I'll get used to this.

On Saturday I ran a Porsche Club event in San Diego, with temps in the low 80s. The format with that club provides very little waiting between laps - sometimes only a minute, and a lot of laps: 2 sets of 7 practice laps, and 1 set of 4 timed competition runs. The Nexen N Fera SUR4 tires (275/40/18 on 18x10" rims) overheated after three runs. I don't think it would be a good warm-weather HPDE tire.

I had a number of "ice mode" problems when I pushed the car really hard on the rough pavement at San Diego's stadium parking lot. It was most noticeable on a downhill section where I charged through a sweeper with slip angle, and then stabbed the brakes before the sharp corner. I'd get reduced braking (causing me to miss my apex), followed by reduced power. I could avoid this by driving 9/10 instead of 10/10ths, but it was hard to avoid the issue because I like to drive hard.

On Sunday, I ran an SCCA autocross in Irvine, with temps peaking at about 90. With 5+ minutes between runs, the Nexens did well and didn't need spraying (though perhaps that would have made them even better). My time dropped every lap (only four at this event). On the smoother, flat pavement of the former MCAS airfield in Irvine, I had no ice mode issues. I certainly wasn't driving more conservatively.

The L.A.-area SCCA autocrosses bring out a deep field of talent. I was happy that my semi-skilled driving got me a 56.0 best time. That would have put me in 2nd place by just .1 second behind 1st Place in an F-Street field of 8 cars including Camaro SS, V8-M3s and Mustangs. However, with my non-stock 18x10 wheels, I wasn't F-Street legal, so I ran in CAM-C against 8 muscle cars, including a couple GT350s, a 5th Gen Katech Z-28, and some heavily prepared/boosted Mustang GTs. I came in 4th out of 9, with the winner nabbing a 54.8 laptime.

More sobering was four-time National Champ Jeff Wong's time of 54.3 seconds in a stock 2017 SS that he was running in the "prima donna PAX" class that's populated by National Champs who want to compete against each other through a handicapping system. Likewise, I am quite humbled that PAX competitor Scott McHugh got a 56.5 second lap in a stock 2013 Honda Accord, just .5 second slower than my 1LE Camaro. That's talent.

A couple people said I could drop some tenths by switching to Bridgestone RE-71Rs. Perhaps, but the Nexens felt sticky, and the price ($164 at Tire Rack) was right.

Last edited by Roostie; 07-24-2018 at 12:24 AM. Reason: fix formatting problem
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:50 AM   #2
MoreSpeed

Drives: 2017 Hyper Blue A10 ZL1
"I had a number of "ice mode" problems when I pushed the car really hard on the rough pavement at San Diego's stadium parking lot. It was most noticeable on a downhill section where I charged through a sweeper with slip angle, and then stabbed the brakes before the sharp corner. I'd get reduced braking (causing me to miss my apex), followed by reduced power. I could avoid this by driving 9/10 instead of 10/10ths, but it was hard to avoid the issue because I like to drive hard."

I have a different engine, but the same situation in AutoX if I run Sport or even in Race Mode. I find I can be faster with everything off...(hold the TC for 7 sec). It takes a bit more concentration not to overdrive the car without the nannies, but you don't get the lag especially in the tight stuff.

Sold 2010 997 GT3, 2016 WRX, 2006 997 C2S, 2003 996 C4S, 2001 Boxster S, 1997 E420 AMG
etc..
MoreSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 08:55 AM   #3
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
With all of my ice mode issues with my 2012 and 2014, so far (knock on wood) i'm happy to report the the ZL1 1LE hasn't ice moded me once yet.