#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-26-2018, 12:21 PM   #1
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
Head and neck protection

What are you using for head and neck protection when tracking your Camaro? Hans, NecksGen, Schroth? Let us know how you like it. I'm specifically interested in applications that don't involve a roll bar, because I don't plan to install one and I need a back seat.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:29 PM   #2
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
I have a HANS. Mainly because I bought it nearly a decade ago nearly new from a buddy, and haven’t seen a need to replace it. I’m not sure how it compares to newer offerings but it check the box for me.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 12:38 PM   #3
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
The only head and neck restraint that is approved for use w/ a 3 point (factory) belt is this. https://simpsonraceproducts.com/hybr...lt-compatible/

I use a Hans adjustable in cars w/ harnesses, and I've liked my Hans. I haven't installed seats/harnesses in my camaro thus far. If someone does develop a solution for not disabling all the airbags by doing so... that would change.

I've been thinking about getting the Simpson FIA/SFI hybrid for use in my camaro, but also because I spend a lot of time instructing (most students dont' have harnesses and such).
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:07 PM   #4
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
Thanks, Provoste. I hope to check out the Simpson Hybrid at the Simpson World store in Los Angeles tomorrow.

Has anybody reading this installed 5+ point belts in a 6th gen Camaro without a roll bar? I figure there are child seat hooks in the passenger seat behind the driver? I'm planning how to set up my next car ...
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:14 AM   #5
Gatorac
Chin Event Manager

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
I use a HANS 3 with a Schroth Profi II 4 point. I am running a harness bar. https://www.schrothracing.com/products/profi-ii-asm

Too bad Schroth doesn't have a quick fit pro like they do for the Mustang. You may find a Rally 3 or 4 that will work in the Camaro.
2015 Mustang GTPP
2011 Duramax
Access to several Chin track cars...
Gatorac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:18 AM   #6
nasbagoat

Drives: 17 SW 1LE
Someone who has been racing a long time had some good advise. If you don't have a cage don't get harnesses or a hans of anything else that secures your head. Reason being that in the event of a roll over and roof collapse a 3 point belt will allow your head to pivot. If you are secured and you have a roof collapse then you will likely be injured and be unable to free yourself. So no cage to reinforce the roof, no harness or hans.
nasbagoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 07:04 AM   #7
Timbo-1LE

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
I bought the Simpson Hybrid S. Tip from a guy who races a Miata, when he saw how serious i was about safety (suit, etc)... Did a lot of research and made sense to me. Sure it is $1000, but if you think about the potential risks... Have used it twice and works well. Maybe I'm a bit over the top on safety, but if helps my wife of 31 years worry a little less, even more valuable.

Last edited by Timbo-1LE; 04-29-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Timbo-1LE is offline   Reply With Quote