Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-07-2016, 01:20 AM   #1
Desmoden

Drives: 2010 2SS RS
2nd ZL1 Stolen out of my bloody driveway...

In June of 2014 my Gorgeous Blue 2013 ZL1 was stolen from my driveway in lovely Sunnyvale California while I was in Bejing. The car was found a month later in Oakland, just a husk, total loss. OnStar was never able to contact the car, even once. Oakland PD found the car.

It took me 11 months to find another ZL1 with the features I wanted, and in January 2015 I took home a brilliant dark blue ZL1 with black wheels and a lovely carbon fiber exposed scoop. My car world is happy again.

Two changes were made.

1.) I got LoJack
2.) I put 3 HD cameras with night vision on the car

Saturday night/Sunday morning at 3:40am PST two enterprising young youths proceeded to crouch in front on my ZL1 with a support vehicle. After about 10min one of them found themselves looking right into a camera. This he spend the next 10min knocking sideways.

Then at 4:10am LoJack sent me an email saying that my car had been moved without my fob. However I did not get this email till 5:15am. At this point my ZL1 was an hour gone.

Questions you may have asked yourself while reading that;

1.) one camera, you said three?

Ah yes, well the house got painted a few weeks ago and I had only hooked back up one of them. The one got ok video, but it may not be clear enough for civilian facial recognition.

2.) what about OnStar? Surely from 2013 to 2015 they made improvements?

Nope! OnStar STILL has not been able to reach the vehicle. Just like last time.

3.) what about LoJack?

Well LoJack must be turned on by the Police once the report is filed. However the police didn't call me back till 6:40am. It's only 45min to Oakland, and that gave them enough time to get breakfast and still get it locked away before LoJack was initiated. Also LoJack is done by Police Vehicle so a department car with the gear installed must drive within X distance to hear my car yelling for help.

So it's now been 40+ hours since my car was kidnapped.

I remain hopeful, but my hope dwindles by the hour.

The ZL1 is the greatest car I have ever owned after a Z51 Vette, R32, S4, M3, WRX and Camaro SS. But I will NOT buy a 3rd one.

LOCK UP YOUR ZL1s!!! They are VERY easy to steal =(

I am very sad.
Desmoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 01:35 AM   #2
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Sorry for your loss man. When you say support vehicle, does that mean theyre towing your car away?

In all honestly, I think tow trucks/companies and anybody with a tow truck means nothing good. The business has no morals or regulations
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:50 AM   #3
The_Driver
Banned

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1LS M6
Sorry for your loss, but here are a few questions I asked myself....

1. Why on earth didn't he park it in the garage knowing he would be on an overseas trip?
2. If the garage was not available, why didn't he just rent a garage knowing the high risk theft area?
3. If he couldn't rent a garage, why didn't he ask a good friend or relative to park it their garage?
4. Since Sunnyvale is a huge theft area for those cars, why did he just leave it parked in the driveway?

I have just a V6 Camaro, but I would never leave it parked in the driveway overnight for days on end especially in a high theft place like the Bay area. Yikes!
The_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:57 AM   #4
PJMZL1

Drives: 2015 ZL1
Sorry man. Just unreal how many of these cars are being ripped in Cali.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:11 AM   #5
Back in blk

Drives: Black 2014 1LT RS
https://youtu.be/ARrlhlQiFzM. Watch this video this is how they are stealing the cars
Back in blk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:16 AM   #6
Back in blk

https://youtu.be/wBr5G_e4av4. Here another this shit pisses me off. Sorry for your loss
Old 06-07-2016, 06:04 AM   #7
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Garage (noun): a storage area utilized for storing motor vehicles, preferably a private unit located on one's property

Good luck finding it! If I were you, instead of spending money on cars, I'd invest in a garage to store them in first.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:34 AM   #8
snarky
ultracrepidarianism

Drives: '14 1SS/RS/1LE/NPP '18 Accord Sport
WOW. if i was your insurance company i'd say "no thanks, you can take your business elsewhere"

cali life...
Old 06-07-2016, 06:37 AM   #9
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Wow! I would be moving.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:54 AM   #10
Back in blk

https://youtu.be/mEsEGvekCrA This is in Oakland
Old 06-07-2016, 07:57 AM   #11
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Driver View Post
Sorry for your loss, but here are a few questions I asked myself....

1. Why on earth didn't he park it in the garage knowing he would be on an overseas trip?
2. If the garage was not available, why didn't he just rent a garage knowing the high risk theft area?
3. If he couldn't rent a garage, why didn't he ask a good friend or relative to park it their garage?
4. Since Sunnyvale is a huge theft area for those cars, why did he just leave it parked in the driveway?

I have just a V6 Camaro, but I would never leave it parked in the driveway overnight for days on end especially in a high theft place like the Bay area. Yikes!
Victim blaming? (not to mention you didn't comprehend what he wrote as I assume you were too busy formulating your response in your head. He was in Beijing the first time. Not this time.)

Why can't a person park their locked car in their own driveway and expect it to be there in the morning. Because Scum exist
Old 06-07-2016, 07:58 AM   #12
Trickskier
Native Floridian

Drives: 2014 - ZL1 / 2003 - Corvette
That stinks! I hate thieves!!!
Old 06-07-2016, 08:02 AM   #13
z28lt1

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickskier View Post
That stinks! I hate thieves!!!
This about sums up all there is to be said. Sorry to hear about this.
z28lt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:17 AM   #14
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Drives: a car with 8 cylinders
Nothing wrong with storing vehicles outside, what's wrong here are these scumbags taking what's not theirs. Instead of beating up the OP when he is down, why not inspire us (and everyone you know) to track these assholes down and rid the community of them. You can keep adding safe locks to your life, but if these types of people want what you have, they will find a way to get it no matter what. BEST solution is to rid them of your communities. Document and report Craigslist ads that are suspicious/fraudulent, report shops & services that are not by-the-books, report suspicious people, share important information on social networks, be alert and always know your surroundings. The only reason why things get out of hand in certain areas, are people turning the blind eye and no one caring enough to report incidents. The "It's not my problem, so why bother" mentality has made many people lazy to their surroundings and they are the ones who usually see these things happening in plain sight, without actually snapping-to and realizing that a crime is being committed. Safe lock your community by engaging others around you to think differently, respect each other, and protect each other by creating those bonds.

flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kidnapped, missing, sad, stolen, zl1