Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

AWE Tuning

Old 03-31-2021, 06:20 PM   #1
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
Upgrade 2LT with Brembo

I have decided to hit the track this year and would like to upgrade my brakes and after reading many of the post I understand it would be extremely difficult to convert the backs to Brembo but pretty straight forward on the front. All I need to do is pick up a set of brembo 4 piston calipers, SS brake hoses, rotors, pads, and mounting brackets for a 4 piston Brembo caliper, and possible a new dust shield. Change over the brake fluid to Rbf660 for the track. Does that sound about right, any pointers.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 11:57 AM   #2
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
Are you new to track driving? You didn't say, but I'm inferring that you are. If so, I am confident that the OE brakes on your car are sufficient for a beginner. However, you should flush your brake lines and add high temp brake fluid (you could use something short of Rbf660).

Track days are typically broken into beginner, intermediate and advanced groups. I find that even the intermediate drivers don't use the brakes very hard.

I suggest you do some track days and see if you experience any brake fade. There's a good chance you won't. If you do, a set of higher temp pads, for example Hawk HPS, might be all you need to deal with the fade.

There may be some tried-and-true upgrade paths for your brake system, but there are potential downsides any time you modify your car. Too many people starting out in track driving think they need to modify their car, and often the modifications make the car worse (e.g., in your case, will the brake balance front to rear be correct?). Even if the mods don't mess up the car, they usually don't help it in any big way, and they've spent money that could have been used on more seat time, or a high performance driving school.

Just take your car to the track with some higher temp brake fluid, proper air pressures, and a curious mind. You're going to learn a lot and have a great time.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:16 PM   #3
dpevans

Yes already signed up for first session later this summer. Plan on changing over fluid and taking a bleeder kit with me in case I need to bleed between sessions. I looked into Hawks but they don't make a set for the OEM single piston calipers. Probably go with Z26 rotors and pads that seems the only option available for the 2LT single piston. Hoping to get through the novice class quickly and run the last few sessions of intermediate. Through GM parts I could upgrade to 6 piston Brembo up front but I am not willing spend 3k and I know where I could get a set of 4 piston calipers off a 2LT for less than $300 so I don't think it would effect the braking system if GM is willing to upgrade the LT to a 6. Think I'll take your advice and go have fun and see how they hold up. Can always upgrade later.
Old 04-01-2021, 04:33 PM   #4
kropscamaro16

Drives: 2016 1ss camaro
you dont want to track your car with z26 pads on them not sure about rs but i hearda bout a ss guy that burned through them in one session on track
Old 04-01-2021, 05:03 PM   #5
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
Definitely go with RBF 660 brake fluid, full flush. I went with a different brand and boiled the fluid my 1st time at the track. Even though my speeds were pretty slow my braking was terrible and it boiled. Kinda gets your heart rate up when the pedal goes to the floor. Get the SS track cooling deflectors, replace the fluid and solicit advice about braking techniques. Just my two cents worth...
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 06:58 PM   #6
dpevans

thanks,
Old 04-01-2021, 08:02 PM   #7
Roostie
all it takes is cash

Drives: 2018 LS V6 1LE; E350 wagon; Model3
I've been using Stop Tech STR600, which I got for about $10 a pint less than RBF 660. It works fine. When I hear reports of high performance brake fluids working badly, my suspicion is user error - some air got in the system. I have done this to myself before.

Most performance fluids have boiling points far higher than OEM fluid, and I don't think very many of us are pushing the car's brake fluid into the 20-25 degree delta between the boiling points of a $16 performance fluid and a $26 fluid. But, $10 for a little added insurance and the promise of better feel isn't so bad. I may try a bottle myself next time, to see if I like the pedal feel any better - not that I am upset with the STR 600 in that regard.
Roostie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:42 PM   #8
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
User error ... yea the error was using on off brand dot 4 fluid ... I don’t mind admitting it, let others learn from my mistakes ... buy the good stuff, ya get what you pay for.
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 12:24 PM   #9
EWard

Drives: 2019 Camaro RBM M6 LTG 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpevans View Post
I have decided to hit the track this year and would like to upgrade my brakes and after reading many of the post I understand it would be extremely difficult to convert the backs to Brembo but pretty straight forward on the front. All I need to do is pick up a set of brembo 4 piston calipers, SS brake hoses, rotors, pads, and mounting brackets for a 4 piston Brembo caliper, and possible a new dust shield. Change over the brake fluid to Rbf660 for the track. Does that sound about right, any pointers.
dpevans Danny at G-Loc Brakes will custom make you a set of pads for the front and rear single piston pads, great customer service.

I would not trust our stock pads on track if you are confident in brake zones.
First time out at Carolina Motorsports Park with G-Loc R10 F and R8 R and Castrol SRF with no factory brake ducting I got the fluid hot and a soft peddle but managed the event okay. After the event I purchased the factory brake duct kit with the small backing plate. I ended up going with the four piston fronts myself for the extra reassurance.

I have a set of G-Loc R12 front single piston pads for sale for $100 that have been used one weekend at NCM if you want to get a feel for track pads. There is a bigger difference going from stock pads to R12 than R12 single piston to R12 four piston. I also upgraded to R12 in the rear now.
EWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:34 PM   #10
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Here’s a set from the Corvette Forum I’m pretty sure they should fit your car, but seems kinda high considering the shape they are in, I think more like 450-500 shipped is a better price.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 11:17 PM   #11
Xyebo

Drives: '23 1SS 1LE | '18 1LS V6 [sold]
Quote:
Yes already signed up for first session later this summer. Plan on changing over fluid and taking a bleeder kit with me in case I need to bleed between sessions. I looked into Hawks but they don't make a set for the OEM single piston calipers. Probably go with Z26 rotors and pads that seems the only option available for the 2LT single piston. Hoping to get through the novice class quickly and run the last few sessions of intermediate. Through GM parts I could upgrade to 6 piston Brembo up front but I am not willing spend 3k and I know where I could get a set of 4 piston calipers off a 2LT for less than $300 so I don't think it would effect the braking system if GM is willing to upgrade the LT to a 6. Think I'll take your advice and go have fun and see how they hold up. Can always upgrade later.

I wouldn't even call Z26 a performance option: they overheat and wear out way too fast. They are fine for hooning on the street and canyon carving, but you are likely to find them overheating fast on a race course.

For the single-piston brakes LS and LT models carry, I only found 2 performance brake pad options:

1) Dynamic Friction "Street/Track" pads
Front: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...413&cc=3437525 ; hardware: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...11910481&jsn=4

Rear: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...433&cc=3437525 ; hardware: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...11910729&jsn=1

Before I put them onto my V6 1LS, I didn't know anything about the pads other than that they're manufactured by a company that suppliers the brakes to R1Concepts, so I went in blindly.
To my surprise, they held up very well at Buttonwillow Raceway--I only experienced slight, but negligible fade after doing 5 hot laps in a row.
They are also fine for daily driving, but note that they will dust like a mothertrucker.

2) Carbotech AX-6 brake pads: https://ctbrakes.com
Never tried them and I don't think they would be good as a dual-purpose street/track pads, but a lot of Camaro guys like them + they make it in your size:
Front: CT1886-AX6
Rear : CT1914-AX6
Xyebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 02:34 PM   #12
dpevans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyebo View Post
I wouldn't even call Z26 a performance option: they overheat and wear out way too fast. They are fine for hooning on the street and canyon carving, but you are likely to find them overheating fast on a race course.

For the single-piston brakes LS and LT models carry, I only found 2 performance brake pad options:

1) Dynamic Friction "Street/Track" pads
Front: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...413&cc=3437525 ; hardware: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...11910481&jsn=4

Rear: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...433&cc=3437525 ; hardware: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...11910729&jsn=1

Before I put them onto my V6 1LS, I didn't know anything about the pads other than that they're manufactured by a company that suppliers the brakes to R1Concepts, so I went in blindly.
To my surprise, they held up very well at Buttonwillow Raceway--I only experienced slight, but negligible fade after doing 5 hot laps in a row.
They are also fine for daily driving, but note that they will dust like a mothertrucker.

2) Carbotech AX-6 brake pads: https://ctbrakes.com
Never tried them and I don't think they would be good as a dual-purpose street/track pads, but a lot of Camaro guys like them + they make it in your size:
Front: CT1886-AX6
Rear : CT1914-AX6
Thanks for the info, I went with R10 on the front and R8s on the back suggested by Danny at G Loc, says those should up well with a fluid change. Don't plan on using them as daily drivers track only.
Old 04-21-2021, 03:15 PM   #13
Xyebo

Drives: '23 1SS 1LE | '18 1LS V6 [sold]
Quote:
Thanks for the info, I went with R10 on the front and R8s on the back suggested by Danny at G Loc, says those should up well with a fluid change. Don't plan on using them as daily drivers track only.
May you please provide the part numbers for G-LOC pads?
Xyebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:27 AM   #14
NLZN21

Drives: 2009 370z
Carbotech makes pads for your car

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587604

Fronts: CT1886*
Rears: CT1914*

I wouldn't really recommend the AX pads for anything. I used them on a z34 for ax for 2 events and took them off, they have so much immediate bite on a big brake system, they are extremely difficult to modulate. I had to make a conscious effort to go into the pedal so slowly. Also they are likely not going to be heat rated for real track use.

No matter what company you go with, you'd be best served talking with whomever you decide to buy from about what tires you're running, what your skill level is and the weight of your car. This gives them the best chance of getting you best possible mechanical brake setup out of the box.

If you do go with Carbotech (which I highly recommend!) I've talked with Mike many times over the years for many cars and the service is always A+

I've got a fresh XP 10/8 setup waiting to be installed for regional SCCA TT in a few weeks which just so happens to be perfect for your car on 200tw~ish tires.
NLZN21 is offline   Reply With Quote