Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

AWE Tuning

Old 12-27-2020, 01:52 PM   #197
Nightfall ss1le

Drives: 2020 A10 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamone92 View Post
Appreciate yalls input on the PDR. Im currently on the fence for a 2ss 1le vs a 1ss 1le that has the pdr. 1ss 1le is a little cheaper so im trying to decide if i care enough about the extras on the 2ss to spend the extra few thousand.
PDR is awesome if you plan on tracking at all too. It does more than record lap times & video. It’ll show everything from tire pressures & temperatures to showing your engine & transmission temps for each lap & the software is free

2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE - 2" TSP catless headers, Pray Ported stock IM/TB, Rotofab dry, DSX FF kit, dyno tuned by Pray. SOLD
Nightfall ss1le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 02:31 PM   #198
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Appreciate yalls input on the PDR. Im currently on the fence for a 2ss 1le vs a 1ss 1le that has the pdr. 1ss 1le is a little cheaper so im trying to decide if i care enough about the extras on the 2ss to spend the extra few thousand.
If you are even just taking it to the drag strip the data is awesome to have.

You’re buying a factory track machine, I say don’t skimp on anything you may miss having in the future.

Buy once, cry once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s346k View Post
i think this is where the truth lies. pdr is marketed as basically a track only tool. it isn't, at all.

my car does not have it, i didn't care either way when i bought the car and honestly all of the info i'm looking for can be pulled from hpt and the dragy box.
That’s absolutely true, especially with HPT, in having the data at your fingertips. I can do both. & it’s all included for the price as a factory option.

I have yet to dig into the sampling rate, but with what I know of HPT if you logged every PID available the sample rate, I would guess, would be slower if for no other reason than CAN Bus speed & extrapolation. It automatically, from my understanding, pulls data from every module, not just the ECM. That in and of itself is soooo much information it’s mind boggling. Come on, down to strut dampening & even relative ride height, that is high end Datalogging right there.

I may take mine to Road America next year once, but I still would miss not having access to that data with a couple of pushes on the touch screen for every day driving if I want or need it.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 02:45 PM   #199
CHASLT1

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
PDR is a great option. Just wish they'd spec'd a camera with better resolution.
My 2019 C7 had that but never got a chance to use it.
CHASLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:42 PM   #200
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
I have yet to dig into the sampling rate, but with what I know of HPT if you logged every PID available the sample rate, I would guess, would be slower if for no other reason than CAN Bus speed & extrapolation. It automatically, from my understanding, pulls data from every module, not just the ECM. That in and of itself is soooo much information it’s mind boggling. Come on, down to strut dampening & even relative ride height, that is high end Datalogging right there.
Not disagreeing at all, it's just so funny to read this when 10-20-40 Gbit Ethernet is the norm outside the automotive world. That means forty. billion. bits. per. second. Those few (say, maybe 50 to 100) modules in a car communicating minuscule packets of commands, performance data and status info at, say, 100fps (10 ms), which is the best I've seen, should be a drop in the ocean

I know, this is somewhat unfair, one probably can't have these data rates at 100% reliability and a reasonably low cost level, but still, the difference is 3 to 5 orders of magnitude.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 04:51 PM   #201
Adamone92
Adam Lingenfelter

Drives: From mustang to 2021 2ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfoxy View Post
If you are even just taking it to the drag strip the data is awesome to have.

You’re buying a factory track machine, I say don’t skimp on anything you may miss having in the future.

Buy once, cry once.

That’s absolutely true, especially with HPT, in having the data at your fingertips. I can do both. & it’s all included for the price as a factory option.

I may take mine to Road America next year once, but I still would miss not having access to that data with a couple of pushes on the touch screen for every day driving if I want or need it.

Yeah im leaning toward the 2ss 1le at this point. They are also throwing in a 250k powertrain warranty.

It has everything i can imagine wanting, other than possibly the PDR. Is the PDR something that could be added on later?
Adamone92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 05:26 PM   #202
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Quote:
Yeah im leaning toward the 2ss 1le at this point. They are also throwing in a 250k powertrain warranty.

It has everything i can imagine wanting, other than possibly the PDR. Is the PDR something that could be added on later?
Someone retrofitted it before, but it's rather difficult to do. It would be the best if you get it built that way.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 06:52 PM   #203
gtfoxy
Account Suspended

Drives: '21 Wild Cherry ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by arpad_m View Post
Not disagreeing at all, it's just so funny to read this when 10-20-40 Gbit Ethernet is the norm outside the automotive world. That means forty. billion. bits. per. second. Those few (say, maybe 50 to 100) modules in a car communicating minuscule packets of commands, performance data and status info at, say, 100fps (10 ms), which is the best I've seen, should be a drop in the ocean

I know, this is somewhat unfair, one probably can't have these data rates at 100% reliability and a reasonably low cost level, but still, the difference is 3 to 5 orders of magnitude.
It really is apples & oranges.

Base data sampling starts at the sensor. Those rates are determined by however fast the data needs to be sampled by whatever it is sensing. An example would be say an ECT sensor vs a Magride sensor. Coolant temp doesn’t fluctuate near as fast, nor as often, as a strut changes position while driving.

From there the various modules have to extrapolate that data & then transfer it to what ever needs that data to do what ever it needs to do with it. Then it has to be sent in what ever form to the OBD port, as well as what ever adjustment calculations are done with it. Finally what ever is reading it has to extrapolate that data & spit it out on your screen, gauge etc.

When you combine all this data rate variances a scanner, as well as the various modules, from my understanding, most of the time puts everything on a base rate of sampling. So seeing what the faster sensors see is mostly impossible unless you cut the PID monitoring count.
gtfoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 07:46 PM   #204
CamaroSSStlfan
Account Suspended

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by nprario View Post
Been a Ford person my whole life. Really wanted a Mustang as I preferred the styling over the Camaro. I was always going to track the car and after quite a bit of research I found that you could not get the Tranny and Differential cooling on the GT only the GT350 at least when I was looking. At that time many Mustang owners were complaining about their cars going into limp mode at the track with overheating trannies or rear ends. Could fix the rear end but the tranny was more problematic.

My son has a GT350 and it is a great car but I just did not want to spend that kind of money. The 1LE has everything I wanted at a much better price point so I swallowed hard and purchased my first GM. Have to say I could not be happier with the performance of this car especially on the track. It is a pleasure to drive and the styling has grown on me. In my opinion the Camaro 1LE is pretty hard to beat in the bang for the buck department.

The GT350 is not really much quicker than the SS 1LE except cost tons more.
CamaroSSStlfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:02 PM   #205
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
I've never understood brand loyalty or even worse, this overinflated sense of superiority within a given community when it comes to badges, engine selections, or transmission choices.

I've owned a fairly wide myriad of vehicles from several different manufacturers. I have never experienced a bad brand, per se. Every brand has its ups and downs but they also all offer varying degrees of experience. Soon, my wife will be picking up her '21 Charger Hellcat Redeye. Certainly not a car for me but, I can understand why she likes it. Neither one of us is walking into any of our car byuing experiences saying something idiotic like, we need to buy X-brand or that we need to buy American cars. We will put our money where we think its deserved.

I can tell you that after this car, there is a very strong possibility that I will never own another RWD car again. Also, I will more-than-likely stick with DCT's from here on. These are my personal preferences but I understand that circumstances come into play. But brand loyalty? Never.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 08:48 PM   #206
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Well I am a brand loyal person especially when it comes to Chevrolet and probably always will be. This is a Camaro forum so what do you expect from people here that would be loyal to the Camaro brand!
Old 12-27-2020, 09:13 PM   #207
shogun37

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by LT4Greg View Post
This is a Camaro forum so what do you expect from people here that would be loyal to the Camaro brand!
People who honestly evaluate the Camaro on it's merits and chose to buy it. I buy cars that I can afford that perform to my expectations. Could give a rip if the badge is from Detroit or Seoul or Minato.

brand loyalty is for cosmetics and laundry soap. It's stupid to apply it to discretionary performance vehicles.
shogun37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:09 AM   #208
Adamone92
Adam Lingenfelter

Drives: From mustang to 2021 2ss 1le
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun37 View Post
People who honestly evaluate the Camaro on it's merits and chose to buy it. I buy cars that I can afford that perform to my expectations. Could give a rip if the badge is from Detroit or Seoul or Minato.

brand loyalty is for cosmetics and laundry soap. It's stupid to apply it to discretionary performance vehicles.
Agreed. Enthusiasts care more about performance than brand.
Adamone92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2020, 06:57 AM   #209
s346k

Drives: like an old lady
any brand loyalty i have for gm stems from working on gm vehicles. i have always done my own work, which as time progressed since the mid 90s (for me), has often required tools and knowledge only attained & needed for such. i looked long and hard at other cars before i bought another camaro. i think ultimately it came down to how comfortable i already was with the gen 1-4 engines & associated platforms. its easy to see that gm has done a lot of repetitious/piggyback engineering if you start from the beginning. be it chassis, engine, vehicle communication etc.

ultimately i think all of the vehicles in a given tier have their ups and downs and it comes down to personal choice, above all. it's funny to read how "superior" many of you think the camaro is bc it can beat a mustang on track by fractions of a second per lap. to 99.99% of buyers, that info means nothing more than a box to stand on and brag. when in reality those people can't drive the car to 85% of its ability and have no idea how anything on the car works, let alone why it is "better" and how it achieves what it does.

am i brand loyal? i guess so. not because i think gm is the best or because my car is that much better than its competitors. simply bc i don't want to start over this late in the game learning the ins and outs of a manufacturer. i think my childhood of being around all gm things molded me, but honestly it shyed me from gm on anything except performance vehicles. if i bought cars to leave alone and trade off in a couple years none of it would matter and buying fun cars would be very difficult.
Old 12-28-2020, 08:33 AM   #210
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
Chevrolet has always been the performance division of GM and I guess that’s the reason I consider myself brand loyal and the Camaro is a performance car. I have owned in 45 years of driving all Chevies except for a Buick Skyhawk and my parents preferred GM cars over the others. I don’t brag on the Camaro to anyone just because I own a ZL1 I don’t think it can outrun everything on the road either. People buy what they want and can afford and there’s nothing wrong with that in my thinking because we can in this country.