Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 02-16-2024, 07:58 AM   #1
CJZ-SS1LE

Drives: 2022 camaro SS 1LE
Help needed badly .... i will paypal anyone that can help me

Ok guys heres the issue soooooooo weird. First about my car

2022 camaro ss 1le auto 10 speed

427 short block darton sleeves, diamond pistons, callies crank and rods, arp mains and head bolts, king bearings.

Prc ltx heads 2.165 intake valve, 1.60 exhaust, platnium springs, trunnion mod, che guides.

Custom cam by cam motion 230/242 630/621 116+4, btr push rods, johnson 2110r lifters,

Mildly ported MSD manifold

103mm Katech throttle body

Dsx flex fuel

Mighty mouse wild catch can

Rotofab intake with new wet filter

Custom wires with ceramic boots and moroso wires with stock plugs

Kooks 1 7/8 headers, kooks cats, custom 3 in dual exhaust, to stock npp muffler (old setup)

Hp tuners tcm

Custom dyno tune and trans tune.

Car was running great day before yesterday dropped it off at my buddies who did the exhaust so he could put on the new mufflers that we had ordered and replace the npp muffler. Car started great and ran perfect. Left it at his shop removed the starter relay cus we wouldnt be there for 3 hours an we have had some rfid thefts lately. Went to his shop when he got there put the starter relay in. He only drove it into the shop and out. Just did the mufflers in the rear with new black tips. I picked it up seemed to start normal and drive normal hm. Parked in the garage and when my girl wanted to hear it went out and when i went to start it turned over several times an had a hard time starting but did. Lil rough idle and when i shut it off it kinda did a slight rev up an off. Hooked up my wide band and its running very rich 10-11 afr normally its high 13s mid 14s. Fuel smell is very strong. Checked maf and cleaned it seems ok no change, looked for air leaks, nothing, checked fuses and O2 wiring all normal. Im at a complete loss did a small log for my tuner. It seems to run good when i give it gas but idle n cruise are still way high afr. He says cars is pulling fuel. That ita running super rich.

Any ideas?? Like i said the person that can help me figure this out ill paypal you a handsome sum cus im at a loss. Thanks guys
CJZ-SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 09:13 AM   #2
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
Are the o2 sensors switching properly in the scanner when logging? You should see them oscillate back and forth from rich lean if they are functioning properly.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 09:19 AM   #3
CJZ-SS1LE

I havent been told if they are or not he just said it was running rich and pulling fuel. I can send the log to you if you send me your email. Thanks King. I plan on changing plugs, wires, and O2s today to see if that takes care of it. Plugs are cheap i have a good set of wires and O2s arent to pricey so cant hurt to try
Old 02-16-2024, 09:22 AM   #4
KingLT1

PM me
Old 02-16-2024, 11:37 AM   #5
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Drives: 2023 SGM ZL1
To shed some light here, his ECU is pulling a ton of fuel by the short term trims, yet the Wideband is still reading way rich(.70-.78 lambda) at cruise and idle.

The O2's are switching but not very much because they are just seeing an overly rich condition all of the time. Yet the injectors MS time in the log is lower than you would expect for the lambda the Wideband is reporting. The narrowband O2's are showing equally rich on both banks and will be pulling 25% fuel out yet the wideband is still rich.

So my summary is that either all of the O2's are fried from using the exhaust as the ground for the MIG welder. Or that unburnt fuel is making its way into the exhaust on both banks by misfires or dead coils/plugs on both banks. Nothing else really makes sense here.
Old 02-16-2024, 11:51 AM   #6
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

Also, the Flex Fuel sensor could have failed and the ECU is for some reason delivering fuel for E50 instead of E10. It looked to be working in the log and I have the test on and to set CEL if it fails twice. I'm sending OP a tune to set FF sensor fail to E10 just in case.
Old 02-17-2024, 10:55 AM   #7
CJZ-SS1LE

New plugs, new O2s, new wires, and uploaded the tune and still running the same only difference was it started right up. Only cus it had non fouled plugs
Old 02-17-2024, 07:03 PM   #8
CJZ-SS1LE

Everyone is at a loss need some fresh ideas if anyone has any and comes up with the right answer i will paypal them 500.00 if not publicly call me out i will send it the min i know the issue is fixed. Taking the night off been at it since 7 lil tired.
Old 02-18-2024, 08:50 AM   #9
KingLT1

What happens if you unplug the MAF sensor and run it in open loop?
Old 02-18-2024, 09:42 AM   #10
CJZ-SS1LE

It stumples but i want to try and get a new maf an map today to try as well
Old 02-18-2024, 10:56 AM   #11
Megahurtz
Snackbar Tuning

King,

Somehow fuel is getting into the manifold that isn't being metered by the injectors. Pulling 10% fuel out of the MAF STILL had the ECU pulling nearly 50% out on fuel trims but the wideband was still rich and the plugs were getting fouled. With STFT's only it pulls the maximum amount of fuel out. If you enable LTFT's it pulls another 20% but the wideband still reads .80 lambda when 1.00 is commanded.

My current thoughts are corrupted ECU file but the injector pulsewidth is really low so it really is pulling fuel out. So fuel is getting in somewhere else. It doesn't make sense. Unless the injectors are not doing what the ECU is commanding and showing in the logs. Or fuel is somehow being sucked up from the fuel tank vapor (EGR) solenoid. Seems impossible but thought it was worth looking into.

If there were multiple misfires that would also explain how its so rich, but its not misfiring. It acts it has LT4 injectors or larger in it on an LT1 tune. Maybe the injectors are constantly leaking but I would think that would cause all sorts of knock and detonation because the Direct Injection doesn't have to wait on the intake valves to open.

Waiting on feedback from Chris on a write entire. I can't imagine how that much extra fuel is actually getting into the combustion chamber.
Old 02-18-2024, 06:05 PM   #12
CJZ-SS1LE

Okay guys the saga continues to get weirder, Started to take the intake Tube off from the throttle body so I could replace the plugs again. And as I took it off I feel something wet hit my hand as I disconnected it from the throttle body. I looked in and sure enough there was gas all over the inside of the throttle body and a small pool of it was inside the intake tube. I took off that and then I looked at my mighty mouse catch can, it was completely full of gasoline. Not much oil but a lot of gas. I have the wild set that goes from the oil cap to the manifold.

I disconnected the egr tube seems dry and nothing leaked out, took the sensor off it was slightly damp but not bad. The map sensor was very wet with fuel. So now i need to figure out where gas is entering the intake manifold
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2024, 09:20 PM   #13
CJZ-SS1LE

Well this is just gettin more weird than i thought possible i took the tb off and there is a small lake of fuel with some oil in the bottom of the intake manifold. Ill take it off tomorrow but soooooo confused.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2024, 09:38 AM   #14
Katech_Mike

Drives: 2015 Camaro ZL1
The fuel pump seal has failed. The crankcase is filled with fuel.

Check the dipstick.
Katech_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote