Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-24-2020, 02:21 PM   #1
19 2SS

Drives: 2019 camaro 2ss
Need advice on buying supercharger

So i'm 100% having a whipple installed on my 2019 camaro and theres a big sale going on for whipple superchargers, $1000 off, ending monday (for memorial day). I'm talking with several shops trying to get quotes with the discount accounted for, but these shops are slow with replying and I dont want to miss out on this deal that ends tomorrow but the shops also all want me to buy through them since they get the retail discount and they will all charge me more for labor if I supply the whipple myself, and some WONT EVEN DO THE JOB AT ALL WITH "CUSTOMER SUPPLIED PARTS" (complete bs). But i'm not sure if im going to end up spending more buying the whipple myself for $6000 and just taking it to a shop to have it installed once I can work something out with a shop, the other option being waiting until i work out a deal with a shop and potentially missing out on whipple's deal, but then getting a "deal" on the installs for buying it through a tuning shop.

So do you guys think i should just pull the trigger and buy the whipple while its on sale for $6000 and have it on standby at my house until I can get it installed at a shop? or do I wait and just have a shop supply it and install it as a "package deal"

Please give me some opinions

ALSO, if im having it custom tuned, should i still be buying the full kit? or the competition kit?

competition kit: https://www.phastekperformance.com/W...-wk-1010tb.htm

full kit: https://www.phastekperformance.com/W...percharger.htm

edit: ended up working out a deal with complete street performance before the sale ended, win win!

ended up paying $8350 for whipple, mighty mouse catch can, ngk spark plugs, install, and custom tune!

still debating on lt4 fuel and headers

thanks for all the advice!

Last edited by 19 2SS; 05-25-2020 at 05:34 PM.
19 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:09 PM   #2
Puddin

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
If you can't install it just get everything from a shop because god forbid something's not there or something goes wrong they are going to try to hang the blame on you since you provided it.
Puddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 06:08 PM   #3
Jbanta1983

Drives: 2019 2ss 1LE
Get a procharger and forget the whipple
Jbanta1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:58 AM   #4
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
That's really tricky. Is the $1000 worth your peace of mind? Are the shops you're considering that reputable in the first place? Are you going to be doing this on the stock bottom end with the stock fuel system? There's a lot to consider here.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:47 AM   #5
MrChrisLS3

Drives: 2018 1SS M6
Well, you're probably too late to have the shop order it. The sales ends after today, so the shop would have to place the order, today. It's Memorial Day, are the shops even open?

If you buy it yourself, to save the grand, you might wind up paying most of that back in labor. Seems the shops are offering to cut labor if you make the Whipple purchase through them. Like any 'for profit' business out there, they need to make some money somehow. If they can't get it by selling the part you and discounting labor, then you pay labor at full clip.

I can imagine that some shops will bow out of customer supplied parts due to bad experiences. Think about this, you buy the Whipple system, and something is defective. You are Whipple's customer, so you get warranty for the parts, so who pays the shop to take it all off and you have to send it back, and wait for the replacement.

Buy it from the shop, and they are Whipple's customer. They cover labor and typically a supplier will send them a new one before getting the bad one back.

You're looking at dumping 8-10k total in your car. I know 1k is alot of money, but in the grand scheme of things, my priority would be that it's done right.

So, IMHO, the question you need to be asking is which is the best shop in your area for a Whipple install, and what does that shop cover in terms of warranty, and what all is included, if buy the system through them.
MrChrisLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:48 AM   #6
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
If a shop is going to do the install then just let them buy everything and pay the shop for parts/installation. Sometimes professional shops can get better pricing than an individual depending on what parts that are being bought.
Old 05-25-2020, 09:34 AM   #7
cmeJATT

Drives: SS-6-SPD
What’s difference comp tv full? Does full just come with a tune?
cmeJATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:27 PM   #8
19 2SS

ended up working out a deal with complete street performance before the sale ended, win win!

ended up paying $8350 for whipple, mighty mouse catch can, ngk spark plugs, install, and custom tune!

Old 05-25-2020, 06:20 PM   #9
Dagstar

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 2SS View Post

Grats! I jumped on the same promotions going on but bought the Whipple kit myself (was no time to talk to the shop first, but they know me so we'll see). I decided on upgrading to LT4 HPFP, injectors, and in-tank pump for peace of mind and tuning overhead. I have headers as well to go on but not sure if they're really needed for my current goals.

Did CSP give you a timeframe for the Whipple to arrive? Online shops say 6-8 weeks but I'm sure they're more familiar with actual delivery time.
Dagstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 06:24 PM   #10
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Nice! You’ll love that blower. Tons of power at all RPM.

I’d suggest upgrading all of the fueling before doing headers. LT4 intank, LT4 HPFP, then LT4 injectors. Make sure the shop tunes your FSCM to take full advantage of the new in-tank pump.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:19 PM   #11
19 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagstar View Post
Grats! I jumped on the same promotions going on but bought the Whipple kit myself (was no time to talk to the shop first, but they know me so we'll see). I decided on upgrading to LT4 HPFP, injectors, and in-tank pump for peace of mind and tuning overhead. I have headers as well to go on but not sure if they're really needed for my current goals.

Did CSP give you a timeframe for the Whipple to arrive? Online shops say 6-8 weeks but I'm sure they're more familiar with actual delivery time.
Nice! im 90% sure im gonna do fuel system upgrade along with headers, just gotta save some money over the next month for me to feel comfortable with it
Old 05-26-2020, 02:20 PM   #12
19 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
Nice! You’ll love that blower. Tons of power at all RPM.

I’d suggest upgrading all of the fueling before doing headers. LT4 intank, LT4 HPFP, then LT4 injectors. Make sure the shop tunes your FSCM to take full advantage of the new in-tank pump.
thanks! im definitely not doing headers without fuel upgrade, im either doing both or none!
also can you explain a little more about the FSCM? im not familiar with that at all
Old 05-26-2020, 05:56 PM   #13
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 2SS View Post
thanks! im definitely not doing headers without fuel upgrade, im either doing both or none!
also can you explain a little more about the FSCM? im not familiar with that at all
The Fuel System Control Module controls the in-tank pump voltage, AFM valves, NPP valves, among other things. The ZL1 runs higher voltage to the in-tank fuel pump than the SS does. If you don’t raise the voltage in your program, you won’t see a lot of the LT4 in-tank performance upgrade.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:07 PM   #14
19 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshinator99 View Post
The Fuel System Control Module controls the in-tank pump voltage, AFM valves, NPP valves, among other things. The ZL1 runs higher voltage to the in-tank fuel pump than the SS does. If you don’t raise the voltage in your program, you won’t see a lot of the LT4 in-tank performance upgrade.
Thanks a lot I appreciate it!