Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 05-25-2020, 12:44 PM   #15
caSStro18

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by supersportss View Post
One word......Borla.
Three letters...AWE. Haha! Each to his own.
caSStro18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:14 PM   #16
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Three letters...AWE. Haha! Each to his own.
THIS!!!!!!!!

....regardless of brand, if the OP doesn't get an NPP car, will ANY aftermarket system be quieter than a stock, NON NPP exhaust? He's better off KEEPING the non NPP, and just adding cutouts.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 05:38 PM   #17
koolkat68

Drives: 2022 Vivid Orange Metallic LT1
Here is another option. This is a cat back system complete. Summit has it for $1350.

https://xforceusa.com/product/es-cc16-vmk-cbs/
koolkat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:58 AM   #18
madscotsman

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
BORLA

Shop around as they are a little costly for an Axle-Back
madscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 09:59 AM   #19
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by madscotsman View Post
Thanks but that's only going to work on cars that are NPP-equipped. My question is specifically focused on cars that are NOT equipped from the factory with dual-mode exhaust.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:02 AM   #20
ember1205
Hot Camaro

I've updated my original post with what I hope is a clearer question around this topic.

Thanks, all!
Old 05-26-2020, 10:15 AM   #21
enzia35

Drives: '16 Garnet Red 1SS
Borla is an awesome exhaust. Get the S-Type along with the 60608 resonator and it'll be quite quiet I bet. This changes it to the Touring configuration.
enzia35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:17 AM   #22
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzia35 View Post
Borla is an awesome exhaust. Get the S-Type along with the 60608 resonator and it'll be quite quiet I bet. This changes it to the Touring configuration.
Original question has been updated... This is for cars NOT equipped with NPP from the factory (since it can't be added later).
Old 05-26-2020, 10:20 AM   #23
Abubaca

Drives: 2016 SS
OK, so this is all assuming you buy a NON, NPP car. Single mode only. ....I think the issue you're going to find is that ALL aftermarket systems will be louder than what you would have on your stock, non-npp Camaro. There are plenty of options that will all sound great, and it's really up to your personal taste as far as sound and volume level, BUT....they're all gonna be louder than stock!

If you want changeable modes on a non-npp car, you can buy cut outs that will allow you to open the exhaust up and give you a "stock" mode, and loud "open" mode. Heck you could put this on a minivan if you wanted to. Typically it's some sort of "Y" pipe, which is the actual "cut out", then you have a remotely controlled valve which opens and closes. Very simple. Been around forever. Heck they had cable controlled valves going back to the 60s!

But honestly, I'd wait 'til you buy the car and see what you feel you need. Everyone talks about these cars being loud, but I just don't hear it. Even with my AWE system, under 2000 RPMs is totally neighbor friendly. -and with windows closed on the highway? -you can hold a normal converstation without raising your voice. Now if you get on it, sure....it gets pretty darn loud, which is awesome. But at least you'll get a good picture of what YOU want, and not what everyone tells you that you'll want.
Abubaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:21 AM   #24
HCI2000SS

Drives: 2018 Camaro V6/RS
Based on what you're saying you might like the GM performance axle back. It's actually made by Borla. It's most similar to their touring mufflers. Probably one of the quietest and smoothest exhausts you can get, but a definite improvement over stock. Not sure if you can get it in the NPP version though. It's a few bucks more than others, but it's a GM factory part, so it wouldn't void the warranty in any way
HCI2000SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:32 AM   #25
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
have you considered buying out of state. in NY is seams like NPP is slandered. almost all the cars iv seen here have NPP. my small local dealer has 3 on the lot
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 10:41 AM   #26
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
The GM axleback exhaust system made by Borla would be a good choice to install because it is slightly louder than the stock exhaust but is pricey. You get what you pay for though and no it doesn’t have the valves like on the NPP optional exhaust. I installed a GM axleback exhaust on my 2010 2SS and it was a perfect alternative to a louder aftermarket system but eventually I had SLP headers and full Loudmouth 2 exhaust system installed and kept the GM exhaust which I sold later after I traded the 2010 in on a 2016 2SS.
Old 05-26-2020, 10:57 AM   #27
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
have you considered buying out of state. in NY is seams like NPP is slandered. almost all the cars iv seen here have NPP. my small local dealer has 3 on the lot
I am searching nationally.

Required: Convertible, 2SS, 6MT, Dual Mode Exhaust. In the new market, there are 20 cars out there for model year 2020 that are exact matches. That's a horrendous number.

If I drop the NPP requirement, the quantity only increases to 22 cars!!! But, one of the ones that not only matches otherwise but also has Magnetic Ride and has exterior and interior colors that I like is actually very close by to me. It's a non-NPP car, though, so I'm trying to decide if I would want to go that route or grab ANOTHER local one (even closer) that matches on everything but doesn't have the perfect interior color (close).

I want the car to sound great, so the second one seems like it would be great (although I would have to forego MagRide in that one). If I could get a great sound out of the FIRST car mentioned, then I would likely gravitate in that direction.

BTW: If I look for 2019 leftovers, the total selection is 6 cars with only 3 having NPP... Once again, a very nice car in the mix does NOT have NPP.
Old 05-26-2020, 11:51 AM   #28
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Aftermarket systems are pricey, but they are well engineered and made of quality materials. Most of the system mentioned so far, AWE, Borla, and I will add Corsa, all sound really great. They snarl when you're on them, but tame down a lot when you are just cruising.

NPP is cool, but dont think it is the only way to get a great sounding car that is also civil when you need it to be.

Good luck man! If you dont want to order a car(like I did), you may have to make a sacrifice somewhere.