Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-24-2020, 10:57 AM   #15
Rnovrit

Drives: 2018 NFG ZL1-1LE
I have small kids but this will eventually come to bite me. My question is what about putting certain vehicles on separate policies with separate companies? I’m not an insurance expert so this might not even work. Just a thought. Like use StateFarm for the family vehicles and some other company for the fun vehicles. Maybe have the two polices with different addresses if you have the ability? Like I said this is just a thought and may not even be feasible due to how they look up your info.
Rnovrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 07:18 PM   #16
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
I have Grundy collector car insurance on my 17 SS Convertible nobody under 25 can driver the vehicle I pay around $740 a year for an agreed value of $55k.
Old 05-24-2020, 08:37 PM   #17
JohnE

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS / 1SS
Thanks for the various advice. I've got 5-6 months before figuring this all out. I imagine the younger Camaro owners must have the same issue. If it cost me an extra $300 / month, I think I would reluctantly sell the SS. Would probably just store the S2000 (its 20 years old now) until my kids are off my insurance. One of the few benefits of getting older is cheap auto insurance. I'm going to try and price out new driver modifications on my geico policy and see the effects.
JohnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:45 PM   #18
FarmerFran

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Vert M6 "Sharky"
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnE View Post
My kids are turning 16 soon. I own an SS and a Honda S2000. Are there ways of mitigating insurance rates by disallowing them the use of these vehicles? First kid wants to get his learners permit in the next 6 months.

I'm assuming that if they are eligible drivers, the rates would go through the roof. Thanks for any advice.
In my state, if the car is registered in the house anyone living in the house (I.E. has a license with that address) is "registered to drive it".

My insurance just about doubled when my son started driving, although they did tell me that it really did not matter the vehicles as much as the young driver.

Funny thing, when I was looking at vehicles for him, I got quotes on a 2005 Grand Cherokee, a 2012 Ram, and a 2014 v6 Mustang. Guess which one was most expensive? The Ram. But they were all basically within a few $$ of each other.

Lube up.
FarmerFran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 10:05 PM   #19
JohnE

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS / 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post
In my state, if the car is registered in the house anyone living in the house (I.E. has a license with that address) is "registered to drive it".

My insurance just about doubled when my son started driving, although they did tell me that it really did not matter the vehicles as much as the young driver.

Funny thing, when I was looking at vehicles for him, I got quotes on a 2005 Grand Cherokee, a 2012 Ram, and a 2014 v6 Mustang. Guess which one was most expensive? The Ram. But they were all basically within a few $$ of each other.

Lube up.

Thanks. I think my state is also like that. I think I'll need to price out insurance on a Buick Park Avenue or LeSabre...., Mercury Grand Marquis, or Lincoln. Those were "old peoples cars" back in the day.
JohnE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 07:30 AM   #20
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFran View Post

Lube up.
My wife has worked in the insurance industry for over 35 years and from the comments she has made in the past your spot on.

At least here and the company she works for your rates in the home typically go up across the board because of drivers under the age of 25. You can keep the SS a bit lower as long as it’s your primary vehicle and not your children however, because they are in the house hold they have to be covered under that vehicle.
Old 05-25-2020, 02:02 PM   #21
SirJangle

Drives: 2021 Acura RDX SH-AWD Advance
I'm a Senior Underwriter and have been in the insurance industry for 20 years. The answer to your question is it depends on the carrier. Some carriers will let you exclude household drivers from certain cars and some won't. If yours won't, then shop around. But, keep in mind, if you exclude a driver from a vehicle, then there won't be ANY coverage if that driver drives said vehicle and damages it. And, that includes just moving it out of the way in the driveway. Bottom line, if they're excluded, don't let them so much as sit in the driver's seat.
SirJangle is offline   Reply With Quote