Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions


JDP Motorsports


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2018, 02:50 PM   #1
Exgermanowner
 
Drives: Bone stock
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Elon, NC
Posts: 65
Used Car - Track Warranty

I've done a couple different forum searches and haven't seen this question posed.

I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with warranty claims on a ZL1 that was bought used?

I've been looking closely at low mileage used ZL1's. My concern as with any used car is what the previous owner did or did not do. Most of them the carfax are clean but have zero service records and proper break-in is important to me. So that alone has me bugged out.

These cars are warrantied at the track provided your just doing track days and not timed racing, but nervous that even if I drive it straight to a Chevy dealer, have every fluid flushed(which I would), then blow it up at the race track, they'll say tough, no service records prior to your ownership.

Any thoughts on the topic.

BTW most chevy dealerships don't even know the cars are warrantied at the track. It's been both funny and scary hearing their reaction.
Exgermanowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:35 PM   #2
JB'sZL1
 
Drives: 2013 ZL1 and 2019 Ram Laramie
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Milwaukee
Posts: 749
Well...there's a lot of wrecked z's for one reason: some people don't know how to handle this amount of power.

So you got to ask yourself...

If there's that many people driving high powered cars that can't handle them (whether speeding, following too close, turns to fast, too fast for conditions, etc., etc., etc.), how many of them read and follow the break in and maintenance instructions.

Seriously though, I would imagine most follow those instructions. Just hope you don't get a used one that wasn't followed...or worse yet: abused.
JB'sZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:14 PM   #3
Camarofan93
 
Camarofan93's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro SS & 2018 ZL1 1LE
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Nashville
Posts: 225
I know it’s out of the realm for several but this is why I always buy new when it comes to a car like ours. If you’re that worried about it I’d keep saving up for a new 1
Camarofan93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:29 PM   #4
RSFR
 
RSFR's Avatar
 
Drives: ZL1
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Texas
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exgermanowner View Post
I've done a couple different forum searches and haven't seen this question posed.

I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with warranty claims on a ZL1 that was bought used?

I've been looking closely at low mileage used ZL1's. My concern as with any used car is what the previous owner did or did not do. Most of them the carfax are clean but have zero service records and proper break-in is important to me. So that alone has me bugged out.

These cars are warrantied at the track provided your just doing track days and not timed racing, but nervous that even if I drive it straight to a Chevy dealer, have every fluid flushed(which I would), then blow it up at the race track, they'll say tough, no service records prior to your ownership.

Any thoughts on the topic.

BTW most chevy dealerships don't even know the cars are warrantied at the track. It's been both funny and scary hearing their reaction.
Take it to a Chevy dealer and get a PPI, or better yet, buy a CPO. That should cover you.
RSFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:32 PM   #5
dmwtech
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 46
Check Carfax. On the used 2017 ZL1 I just bought, it showed every oil change, diff service, tire change, etc. The trip computer had never been reset, and it showed an average of 18MPG over 10.2k miles. The Carfax plus the average lifetime MPG, plus the overall condition of the car seemed to show me that it wasn't beat on too badly.

The only issue my car has is the wheel clicking problem. Otherwise, no abnormal noises, clunks and minimal rattles. Engine idles smoothly and is very quiet. I bought the Ally extended 7 year, 100k, $0 deductible contract.
dmwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:03 PM   #6
Exgermanowner
 
Drives: Bone stock
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Elon, NC
Posts: 65
Thanks for the reply's so far. Yeah that's part of the problem, I've looked at a lot of them and none show service records from the carfax that pulls up from the dealers. You see when they were titled, etc.. . The other issue and that is a good idea about the PPI, but I haven't found one within 300 miles. so I'm flying to get Nightfall gray in an Auto, PDR and NO sunroof. Why do dang near all autos have them? I know why, it just ticks me off. Anyway maybe a CPO will come up with those options, but none so far in the last two months.

And Camarofan, long story short if I hadn't just laid out a big chunk of change fixing a low mileage Audi due to them not honoring the warranty, I would be in a new one in a minute, but I need the roughly $10K in my pocket, cause I don't finance cars. It's a pickle and prior ownership may nag me so mentally, that I might have to just take the hit.

Last edited by Exgermanowner; 01-04-2018 at 05:03 PM. Reason: mispelled word
Exgermanowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #7
kaamacat
 
Drives: 2018 ZL1/1LE Red
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Cumming, GA
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwtech View Post
Check Carfax. On the used 2017 ZL1 I just bought, it showed every oil change, diff service, tire change, etc. The trip computer had never been reset, and it showed an average of 18MPG over 10.2k miles. The Carfax plus the average lifetime MPG, plus the overall condition of the car seemed to show me that it wasn't beat on too badly.

The only issue my car has is the wheel clicking problem. Otherwise, no abnormal noises, clunks and minimal rattles. Engine idles smoothly and is very quiet. I bought the Ally extended 7 year, 100k, $0 deductible contract.
I'd not totally rely on Carfax for maintenance items. You may very well have an owner (like myself) that will perform their own at much better intervals than GM suggests (well after the 500 and 1500 Oil service and Diff at 1500), keep all receipts and honestly do a better job than any dealership will. I head to the dealers for drain plugs and filters (for example), save the receipts which are date stamped and attach to my own records and file them away. Then I always log them into the GM website. In-fact I'd personally walk on a car that follows some of the latest recommendations of oil changes come 10K+ miles...etc.
__________________
BobR

2018 ZL1 1LE (Red) - New Dec 2017
2015 ViperGT (Gunmetal w/Red stripes)
2013 ZR1 Anniversary
2014 ZL1 - BrightYellow, 6sp
2011 Porsche GT3RS - White w/red graphics
2009 Porsche C2S
2001 Ferrari 360
kaamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:28 PM   #8
dmwtech
 
Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Elk Grove, CA
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaamacat View Post
I'd not totally rely on Carfax for maintenance items. You may very well have an owner (like myself) that will perform their own at much better intervals than GM suggests (well after the 500 and 1500 Oil service and Diff at 1500), keep all receipts and honestly do a better job than any dealership will. I head to the dealers for drain plugs and filters (for example), save the receipts which are date stamped and attach to my own records and file them away. Then I always log them into the GM website. In-fact I'd personally walk on a car that follows some of the latest recommendations of oil changes come 10K+ miles...etc.
I agree with you completely. My recommendation was based on used cars at a dealership, where you can't talk to the prior owner. I didn't get that luxury when buying my used Zl1, but the Carfax showed a good service history, which gave me a better overall feel about the car.
dmwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:02 PM   #9
soceur77
 
Drives: 17 NFG ZL1 18 F150 3.5EB 2 10 SPDS
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Upper Marlboro MD
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmwtech View Post

The only issue my car has is the wheel clicking problem.
There's a TSB for that take it to to the dealership and they will correct it. Something about debris in the wheels. If you're not lazy like me I guess you could take the wheels off and see if there's debris you can see yourself. I know that they used some type of blower on mine.
soceur77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:32 PM   #10
Inspector 17
I love crepes
 
Inspector 17's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1 NGM A10
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 4,951
The dealer should be able to pull the maintenance records for you (assuming they were done at a GM dealer). That should at least give you some idea of what services were done on it. You can never know how a car was treated by a previous owner (high performance car or just a family sedan) so that's part of the "risk" of any used vehicle. But if you treat the car properly then any failure should be covered. The engine could blow just driving down the street right? Thay would be covered.
Inspector 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.