Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 05-13-2019, 07:33 PM   #1
stepanerk
very happy owner

Drives: 2LT, black, white stripes, IO seat
stop/start technology

HI everybody,

in the WardsAuto 2016 it is stated the 3.6L V6 has stop/start technology but not in the Camaro:

https://www.wardsauto.com/engines/in...h-gm-s-36l-v-6
“Typically, cam phasers are parked all the way at one end of their travel, or the other,” Muscaro says. “But we park them in the middle to optimize emissions performance and startability, since this engine (except in the Camaro) has stop/start. Being able to retard or advance from that park position enables us to optimize performance and fuel economy, and the feel of the engine on restart.”

Two questions please:
1- why not in the Camaro ?
2- Am I focusing too much on that feature ?
I am considering changing my 2012 V6 Camaro for a Gen6 V6. That will be very difficult because I love my Camaro but I am attracted with the new technologies i the Gen6 and also want to consume less gaz.

TY for your help
BR
stepanerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:48 PM   #2
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepanerk View Post
HI everybody,

in the WardsAuto 2016 it is stated the 3.6L V6 has stop/start technology but not in the Camaro:

“Typically, cam phasers are parked all the way at one end of their travel, or the other,” Muscaro says. “But we park them in the middle to optimize emissions performance and startability, since this engine (except in the Camaro) has stop/start. Being able to retard or advance from that park position enables us to optimize performance and fuel economy, and the feel of the engine on restart.”

Two questions please:
I am considering changing my 2012 V6 Camaro for a Gen6 V6. That will be very difficult because I love my Camaro but I am attracted with the new technologies i the Gen6 and also want to consume less gaz.

TY for your help
BR
Simply, you do not want stop start technology.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 07:51 PM   #3
Warrior102

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE Black
You may save 2-3% at best and you're going to beat the shit out of your cams, bearings, starting gear. The greatest wear on your engine is on startup not to mention heat soak every time it shuts down unless they install an electric water pump. Careful what you wish for, plenty of YouTube content on this topic.
Warrior102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 10:40 PM   #4
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior102 View Post
You may save 2-3% at best and you're going to beat the shit out of your cams, bearings, starting gear. The greatest wear on your engine is on startup not to mention heat soak every time it shuts down unless they install an electric water pump. Careful what you wish for, plenty of YouTube content on this topic.
It's not that big of a deal, if you don't want it, just disable it or put it into sport mode.

http://bestride.com/research/buyers-...ine-components
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:10 AM   #5
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
the camaro doesn't have it because it's stupid.

the v6 camaro can easily get 30mpg with mixed highway driving. . and can reach in the mid 40mpg with just highway driving. But you'll likely average mid 20's with a decent amount of stoplight/city driving.

If gas cost is a problem ...just dont accelerate fast. That's 90% of your fuel waste handled without stupid stop-start nonsense.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:01 AM   #6
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepanerk View Post
HI everybody,

Two questions please:

TY for your help
BR
Why not Camaro? On one hand, GM recognizes that sports car owners are least likely to want the engine to shut off without their prompting it to do so. On the other hand, GM still needs to get the best EPA rating it can for Camaro in order to maintain a positive CAFE position, so the V6 does have cylinder deactivation (so does LT1) that allows the engine to operate on 4-cylinders when all 6 (or 8) are not required. I have seen my car operate in V4 mode at just under 90 mph on highway.

FWIW - Even though sports car owners are the least likely to want Stop Start, every Porsche has it. Every. Single. One.

Are you focusing too much on this feature? Yes.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:03 AM   #7
RyanR623

Drives: SS A8, NPP, Red Hot
Quote:
Originally Posted by lt4camaro View Post
Simply, you do not want stop start technology.
This. You would wind up disabling it.
RyanR623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:51 AM   #8
SSport16

Drives: 2016 Garnet Red Camaro 2SS
It's crap, you don't want it! No real noticeable gas savings, I have it in my 2018 Equinox with no defeat button...you get used to it, but all I worry about is issues down the road with the engine and the starter!

1100 Status - 7/24/15 (Ordered)
3800 Status - 10/13/15 (Built)
6000 Status - 12/22/15 (Delivered)
SSport16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:52 AM   #9
avalonandl

Drives: 2019 ZL-1
OMG- it is so annoying.... every car I rode in thathad it I hated the ride. Including $80,000 BMW's....

2012 Yukon XL Denali w/ 6.2 AWD
avalonandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #10
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post
It's crap, you don't want it! No real noticeable gas savings, I have it in my 2018 Equinox with no defeat button...you get used to it, but all I worry about is issues down the road with the engine and the starter!
Just an attempt to put your mind at ease a little bit....I was in GM Powertrain Planning when this was first being developed and implemented. The validation and durability testing of the starter motor went as far above and beyond testing for any starter that I have ever seen. The guys doing the validation work were called into the highest level engineering exec meetings in Powertrain on a weekly basis to report out their status on life-cycle and NVH targets. It was a very intense microscope for them. In my opinion, the starter motor was over-engineered to the point where if any fail in the field, I’d have to wonder what else failed first to make it fail. They should be damn near bullet proof.

There are two reasons why there is no defeat switch (I was a pain in the ass to Engineering pushing hard for a defeat switch)
  1. EPA will only provide 50% FE credit for applications that have a switch
  2. The integration of the system was much better than any competitor implementation that my team had benchmarked at the time. The stops and restarts, at least in the Malibu, were almost undetectable.

I’ve been away from GM a couple years now, but my understanding is that they have added the defeat switch for MY 2019 cars.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Old 05-14-2019, 10:23 AM   #11
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonandl View Post
OMG- it is so annoying.... every car I rode in thathad it I hated the ride. Including $80,000 BMW's....
When my team was benchmarking Stop Start systems, the early BMW 5-Series applications were without a doubt the worst we tested. They did get better over time, but still not as good as the 2015 - later Malibu, which were the best I’ve ever driven / tested.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:25 AM   #12
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSport16 View Post

Range makes a device to plug into your odbii port to defeat it

My new 2019 is going to have this glad it has an on off button but will have to push each time i fire it up

Ryan B.
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #13
nicktechla

Drives: 2012 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
Range makes a device to plug into your odbii port to defeat it

My new 2019 is going to have this glad it has an on off button but will have to push each time i fire it up

Ryan B.
I rented a Porsche the other day, when it was in sport mode it automatically disabled it. Does the Camaro not do the same?
-- Past --
2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe - Red Hot - A10, PDR - HRE P101
2015 Mustang GT PP - Whipple Supercharger
nicktechla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:43 AM   #14
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicktechla View Post
I rented a Porsche the other day, when it was in sport mode it automatically disabled it. Does the Camaro not do the same?
I don’t think Camaro has stop start. I know the V8 doesn’t and I’m fairly certain the 2.0T and 3.6L don’t either.