Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

AWE Tuning

Old 04-01-2020, 09:17 AM   #1
Supaa_ant

To void or not to void is the ?

Hello everyone,

I have a 19 SS 1LE and the debate for sometime has been to mod or not. Right now I have the GM perf CAI with dealer ecu reflash tune. I’ve been looking at either doing cat-back exhaust or doing the header and x-pipe but seems either way I still would need a tune and if I need a tune I’m just going E85 just because it’s a easy sensor install and I’m already paying someone to tune so might as well = more power ! Correct me if I’m wrong please. My goal would be to improve throttle response and put down more whp. I want to know what the community is doing with their camaros that still have the factory warranty and what some of your opinions on voiding the warranty . Should I just say f it and step on the gas go headers exhaust E85 and tune. Or should I hold off and do some appearance mods , wicker bill wheels etc
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2020, 09:47 AM   #2
Matos1LE

Drives: SS 1LE
Best recommendation is to save the money for track and autocross. Learn the car and see how well you can control it in stock form. It's already a beautiful car, especially in that color, so appearance mods are really just extra. If you are in South Florida, check out Equipe Rapide, Porsche Club, and SRMS, they host some sweet autocross events and my 1LE is a blast to drive there.
Matos1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:47 AM   #3
Supaa_ant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matos1LE View Post
Best recommendation is to save the money for track and autocross. Learn the car and see how well you can control it in stock form. It's already a beautiful car, especially in that color, so appearance mods are really just extra. If you are in South Florida, check out Equipe Rapide, Porsche Club, and SRMS, they host some sweet autocross events and my 1LE is a blast to drive there.
Thank you for your input; yes I want to look into hitting the track soon need to find events
Old 04-01-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
metros11

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaa_ant View Post
Hello everyone,

I have a 19 SS 1LE and the debate for sometime has been to mod or not. Right now I have the GM perf CAI with dealer ecu reflash tune. I’ve been looking at either doing cat-back exhaust or doing the header and x-pipe but seems either way I still would need a tune and if I need a tune I’m just going E85 just because it’s a easy sensor install and I’m already paying someone to tune so might as well = more power !
For all those that are modding with the risk of losing the warranty, I'm going to ask one simple question... Yes the mods will give you more power, but in what way are those mods going to help you effectively and outweigh the possible cost to fix the car, should something go wrong? In other words, you're faster, but what measurable goal does it help you achieve, that leaving the car as-is wouldn't?
metros11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 11:14 AM   #5
Hops

Drives: 2019 1ss 1le, blue wrap
GM also openly warranties tracked Camaros (ss, 1le). I can't think of another manufacturer that openly does this. I think that makes the warranty even more valuable if you're going to track/autocross.
Hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 12:49 PM   #6
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supaa_ant View Post
Thank you for your input; yes I want to look into hitting the track soon need to find events
Ditto what Matos and Hops have said. I'd hold off on the performance mods you're mentioning and get some track time in first. Driver mod (more seat time and instruction) is one of the best things you can do to be faster if you don't have a ton of track experience. Also, if your engine blows up or something on the track, warranty should have it covered if you don't mod it.

As for what to change, you'll want to flush your brake system with DOT4 fluid and appropriate engine oil per the manual. Would also suggest following the recommended diff and trans fluid change intervals called out in the manual, including the diff break-in change schedule, to help increase longevity there. I'd also suggest getting the track alignment to help with tire wear and correct some of the weirdness that the factory alignment likely has. There's some great threads on the forum that go into all of these topics in pretty great detail.
Old 04-01-2020, 01:49 PM   #7
Supaa_ant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha1BC View Post
Ditto what Matos and Hops have said. I'd hold off on the performance mods you're mentioning and get some track time in first. Driver mod (more seat time and instruction) is one of the best things you can do to be faster if you don't have a ton of track experience. Also, if your engine blows up or something on the track, warranty should have it covered if you don't mod it.

As for what to change, you'll want to flush your brake system with DOT4 fluid and appropriate engine oil per the manual. Would also suggest following the recommended diff and trans fluid change intervals called out in the manual, including the diff break-in change schedule, to help increase longevity there. I'd also suggest getting the track alignment to help with tire wear and correct some of the weirdness that the factory alignment likely has. There's some great threads on the forum that go into all of these topics in pretty great detail.
I have 600 miles on it but I will keep that in mind
Old 04-01-2020, 04:35 PM   #8
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
I'm holding out until near warranty end to do headers.

Car will not be tracked, but I'm use to more power, so acceleration in the 1LE is less than breathtaking.

Mo powah baby!
Old 04-01-2020, 05:42 PM   #9
arpad_m

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS A8
I'd at the very least drive the car a few thousand miles before touching it in a warranty-voiding way, just to give a better chance for any material defects, potential early engine failures or any workmanship issues to surface while the car is covered. Also, the point about the driver mod many others have already made is a very good one.

Magnuson TVS 2300 80mm pulley | Kooks 1 7/8" LT headers | JRE smooth idle terminator cam | LT4 FS & injectors | TSP forged pistons & rods
JMS PowerMAX | DSX flex fuel kit | Roto-Fab CAI | Soler 95mm LT5 TB | 1LE wheels | 1LE brakes | BMR rear cradle lockout | JRE custom tune

1100 - 1/30/18 | 2000 - 1/31/18
3000 - 2/06/18 TPW 2/26/18
3400 - 2/19/18 | 3800 - 2/26/18
4300 - 2/27/18 | 4B00 - 3/01/18
4200 - 3/05/18 | 4800 - 3/14/18
5000 - 3/16/18 | 6000 - 3/19/18
arpad_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:11 PM   #10
pbsinternet1le

Drives: 2017 1le current /2015 2ss 1le sold
Wait till the end of 36month warranty to end. Schedule an appointment for Headers,Msd intake , 103mm tb , e85 if it is available and a good tune. It will feel like a new car again.