Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-03-2020, 03:32 PM   #1
Peachv7

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
DRONE!! Opinions welcome

I have an ls3. First i bought borla s type catback and cai. Sounded good but needed more power. Drone was there, but semi tolerable. Next i went for lt headers which were great and sounded fantastic but drone is worse. 6 months later i opted for a tsp stage 2 cam.

So what i want to know is if the car will sound ok if i put the stock catback back on but keep the lt headers and cam.

My main concern is drone and second concern is turning the wrong heads (and losing my hearing lol). The other day i did light acceleration when two lanes into one and a hiding cop followed me into the parking lot to start yelling about my illegal exhaust and how much tickets he could have given me.
Also, it'd be nice to be able to talk to people while cruising.
Peachv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:40 PM   #2
gtstorey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS2,L99, LSA SC
I'm running LT, no cats with stock mufflers and LSA supercharger. Quite until I get on it. No drone at anything like normal speeds.
gtstorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:47 PM   #3
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Check out www.solo-performance.com. I have their Mach XL catback and I am very please with it. I had tweaked my J pipes (drone cancelers) a little bit before I installed my cam because of minor drone with my headers. After I got the cam I had to adjust a little more. I have a little still around 1,200 rpms, but I'm working on tuning that out too. On the highway it is nice and comfortable to cruise with the radio at volume 6 and still hold a conversation. Solo also sells just their J pipes if you're wanting to have them installed on your current exhaust and then tune them to cancel your drone yourself.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 03:58 PM   #4
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachv7 View Post
I have an ls3. First i bought borla s type catback and cai. Sounded good but needed more power. Drone was there, but semi tolerable. Next i went for lt headers which were great and sounded fantastic but drone is worse. 6 months later i opted for a tsp stage 2 cam.

So what i want to know is if the car will sound ok if i put the stock catback back on but keep the lt headers and cam.

My main concern is drone and second concern is turning the wrong heads (and losing my hearing lol). The other day i did light acceleration when two lanes into one and a hiding cop followed me into the parking lot to start yelling about my illegal exhaust and how much tickets he could have given me.
Also, it'd be nice to be able to talk to people while cruising.
I wonder how many Harley owners that cop has pulled over. Probably very few.

I got pulled over by a Florida State Trooper last year for this. I was very nice to the Trooper, as I am not a fool. He didn't ticket me but lectured me about my 'illegal' exhaust mods. Afterwards I was pissed though. Florida is like the wild west when it comes to this stuff and they rarely ever bother people for loud exhausts. My town has some newer 5.0 Mustangs running around with exhaust so loud that even I find obnoxious, and I love a loud exhaust.

Anyhow, sorry for the rant. I just think there are much more important things for police to worry about. As for your situation, you could look into some J Pipes for control of the drone no matter what exhaust you go with. Stainless Works makes a kit to add J pipes to nearly any exhaust. Or you can find a brand that already integrates them into the design, such as Solo.

You could also look into a Magnaflow resonated X pipe, which is basically a muffler where the X pipe normally goes, but a lot of people think it turns the volume down too much. I would avoid anything from Flowmaster though. While they sound great, nearly all of them produce excessive drone.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 04:49 PM   #5
Peachv7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
I'm running LT, no cats with stock mufflers and LSA supercharger. Quite until I get on it. No drone at anything like normal speeds.
I don't want to be tooo quiet, but the thought of having zero drone is pretty nice.

The j pipes that are being recommended seem like a good option if stock is too quiet. Weld on some j pipes at an exhaust shop, or just buy straight from solo.

Since I didn't mention it previously, my drone starts at 70 miles an hour and doesn't really go away until 86 or 87.

Thanks for the recommendations
Old 01-03-2020, 06:49 PM   #6
1JEWLDSSRS

Drives: 2011 SS-RS
One of my friends has LT's and no cats on his with the stock cans and it sounds kinda nice, not too bad idling, kinda throaty and sounds real good when he gets on it though, no drone..And he is SC'd..
Old 01-03-2020, 07:02 PM   #7
StreetRage320
Those who need me got me

Drives: 2022 ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post

I got pulled over by a Florida State Trooper last year for this. I was very nice to the Trooper, as I am not a fool. He didn't ticket me but lectured me about my 'illegal' exhaust mods. Afterwards I was pissed though. Florida is like the wild west when it comes to this stuff and they rarely ever bother people for loud exhausts. My town has some newer 5.0 Mustangs running around with exhaust so loud that even I find obnoxious, and I love a loud exhaust.

Anyhow, sorry for the rant. I just think there are much more important things for police to worry about. As for your situation, you could look into some J Pipes for control of the drone no matter what exhaust you go with. Stainless Works makes a kit to add J pipes to nearly any exhaust. Or you can find a brand that already integrates them into the design, such as Solo.

You could also look into a Magnaflow resonated X pipe, which is basically a muffler where the X pipe normally goes, but a lot of people think it turns the volume down too much. I would avoid anything from Flowmaster though. While they sound great, nearly all of them produce excessive drone.
if it makes you feel better, here in MN I get pulled over for having any window tint anywhere near 50%. I see cars in Florida all the time with dark tint, I am jealous of y'all for that!
Old 01-03-2020, 07:41 PM   #8
oldman14ss

Drives: 2014 1ss camaro
I hated drone on my forth gen with long tubes and gmmg catback, bought the solo catback for my 5th gen amazing! no drone and sounds bad ass when I get on it.
oldman14ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:21 PM   #9
Bigdumogre

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
You guys convinced me to get solo exhaust Mach XL. I have always been a flow master guy but now that I’m older I don’t really want a heavy drone sound in my car while I’m cruising
Bigdumogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:07 PM   #10
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdumogre View Post
You guys convinced me to get solo exhaust Mach XL. I have always been a flow master guy but now that I’m older I don’t really want a heavy drone sound in my car while I’m cruising
You'll like it AND when you get on it the thing roars! It's especially fun under bridges and in tunnels. I can share a couple video clips if you want to hear what it sounds like with long tube headers and then with a cam.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:25 PM   #11
Ammo_Don

Drives: 15 1SS 1LE
I have never heard "drone.". I've always driven glasspacks pickup trucks so strait piped ls3 sounds normal to me. I dunno, I daily mine on the interstate at 74 mph and it sounds like a V8... I dunno

Long tubes and factory npp with fuse pull***
Ammo_Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:33 PM   #12
Peachv7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammo_Don View Post
I have never heard "drone.". I've always driven glasspacks pickup trucks so strait piped ls3 sounds normal to me. I dunno, I daily mine on the interstate at 74 mph and it sounds like a V8... I dunno

Long tubes and factory npp with fuse pull***
You would know if you felt it. The car becomes way more resonant around 1800 rpm. At 60 mph i lower the radio to 10, at 70 i have to go up to 15+ and at about 85 i can lower it again if that makes sense. There's a difference between plain old loud v8 and one thats at that frequency. Sometimes i drop into 5th just to get a break from the drone for a while.

Edit* didn't notice you mentioned npp, so in other words you have stock mufflers which don't drone.

Wish mine had npp, but it wasn't optioned that way

Last edited by Peachv7; 01-03-2020 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-03-2020, 10:31 PM   #13
StingrayblueSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post

I have the magnaflow resonated x pipe and the drone is pretty bad around 1800 rpms.
12.391 112 MPH 10/05/19
StingrayblueSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 11:04 PM   #14
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
Drone is a muffler issue... I have these crappy mufflers with LTH/HFC with 3in Xpipe L99 and no drone at all.

joe...