Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 10-24-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Drag Chute/Frame

Hello to all vendors or people that may be in the know...

I am trying to find a drag chute frame/parachute for the 5th Gen Camaro.. I've seen a couple, mostly at the Texas Mile... and am trying to locate one...

Any help is greatly appreciated...I saw one that used the license plate mounting locations to the wire frame and then there was a small hole in the rear bumper for the anchor point... and a plug that goes into the hole when the chute frame is not mounted...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
THe RPM guys have a chute on the back of their 5th gen...you could call em and ask about it. I think his SN is Rusty Nail on here. They use the ebrake lever to activate the chute but that's all I can tell you.

Good luck.
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Check with Bruce also as he has one on his car (a.k.a. Speedster)
Old 10-24-2011, 09:04 PM   #4
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
THe RPM guys have a chute on the back of their 5th gen...you could call em and ask about it. I think his SN is Rusty Nail on here. They use the ebrake lever to activate the chute but that's all I can tell you.

Good luck.
Thats how the one I saw at the mile was set up, though they removed the actual e-brake handle and installed the chute release safety handle... I will try to get ahold of the RPM guys... This guys car was either built by LMR or Fastlane (Houston)... I think, though it was on a dyno in Dallas... IDK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
Check with Bruce also as he has one on his car (a.k.a. Speedster)
I actually went and looked at his... in his thread... but the back of his car has been altered so much from the regular camaro... They cut out the back of the car behind the plate... The one I saw had a small hole with a removable plug.... and used the existing plate frame holes for the wire frame inserts... It was a very nice set-up... but the guy had his game face on for his run and I didn't want to bother him with a bunch of detailed questions...

Then he had to abandon his run right off the start line due to motor problems and I didn't want to bother them in their pit while they were trying to sort it out...I guess I could just be one of those people...

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

Old 10-24-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
This should be a very simple setup and shouldnt take much from a shop to come up with an easily removeable chute to fab up for you as I am hoping I will need one myself but in a very much shorter distance......LOL Keep us posted with what you come up with.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:57 PM   #6
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
This should be a very simple setup and shouldnt take much from a shop to come up with an easily removeable chute to fab up for you as I am hoping I will need one myself but in a very much shorter distance......LOL Keep us posted with what you come up with.
I'm feeling kind of inspired right now... I have to work on an engine cover for a SEMA car tomorrow and then I may start trying to fab one up... Between a reply I got from RustyNail about the RPM car, and what I saw the other day... I have some ideas and Simpson Safety Products (loaner chute for design purposes maybe)is right down the street from my builders shop... so, maybe I can come up with something that works well... I'll keep you informed... If I come up with a workable design I'll pass it on to you or we can work something out and I'll build another one and ship it to you... I'll use my car as a test mule... and mine will be for short distances as well after I achieve my goal in the mile...

Old 10-24-2011, 11:05 PM   #7
Sam88gta1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2006 CC Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Thats how the one I saw at the mile was set up, though they removed the actual e-brake handle and installed the chute release safety handle... I will try to get ahold of the RPM guys... This guys car was either built by LMR or Fastlane (Houston)... I think, though it was on a dyno in Dallas... IDK

I actually went and looked at his... in his thread... but the back of his car has been altered so much from the regular camaro... They cut out the back of the car behind the plate... The one I saw had a small hole with a removable plug.... and used the existing plate frame holes for the wire frame inserts... It was a very nice set-up... but the guy had his game face on for his run and I didn't want to bother him with a bunch of detailed questions...

Then he had to abandon his run right off the start line due to motor problems and I didn't want to bother them in their pit while they were trying to sort it out...I guess I could just be one of those people...
You should have came over and asked about it. They guy who installed the chute was there with us.
Fastlane built the hotside and cold side of the turbo kit but the car was assembled ,finished and tuned at Speedtek in FtWorth.
Sam88gta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:27 PM   #8
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam88gta1 View Post
You should have came over and asked about it. They guy who installed the chute was there with us.
Fastlane built the hotside and cold side of the turbo kit but the car was assembled ,finished and tuned at Speedtek in FtWorth.
Sam Miller, you're my hero!
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:34 PM   #9
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Sorry...

I talked to, I think it was Jimmy at the start area, and he was a lot of help... but I was trying not to be a pest as he had a game face on and there were lots of others around...

I love the way it was installed and mounted...looks to be very straightforward and easy to remove with only one external indication when it isn't on... if I remember correctly... I'll drive up there for an install if you guys want to build one for me...

1.) can/would you build another to match it...

0r

2.) can you send pics and a description of it so I can fab something like it...

Thanks Sam... and that was a bad arse car... Wish I had been there for the fast pass... I was only at the track for a little while Sunday...

Old 10-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #10
Sam88gta1

Quote:
Sorry...
I talked to, I think it was Jimmy at the start area, and he was a lot of help... but I was trying not to be a pest as he had a game face on and there were lots of others around...
I love the way it was installed and mounted...looks to be very straightforward and easy to remove with only one external indication when it isn't on... if I remember correctly... I'll drive up there for an install if you guys want to build one for me...
1.) can/would you build another to match it...
0r
2.) can you send pics and a description of it so I can fab something like it...
Thanks Sam... and that was a bad arse car... Wish I had been there for the fast pass... I was only at the track for a little while Sunday...
Precision Racecraft in Crowley installed the chute and mount. Give them a call at 817 899 7439 or 817 253 4134.
I wasnt able to be at the event until Sunday morning and by the time I arrived the pcm had developed an issue and was not working with me. I concluded the pcm needed to be replaced but it was too late to make another run. There is always March!
We will also have the Silver Kenne Bell 2010 Camaro (went 200.9 in March 2011 @862rwhp) back out in March but this time with the massive Kenne Bell 4.2L Blower making 1100+rwhp. It currently is a running ,daily driven car making 995 rwhp with the 4.2L at 18lbs (no nitrous).
Old 10-27-2011, 02:09 AM   #11
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Quote:
Precision Racecraft in Crowley installed the chute and mount. Give them a call at 817 899 7439 or 817 253 4134.
I wasnt able to be at the event until Sunday morning and by the time I arrived the pcm had developed an issue and was not working with me. I concluded the pcm needed to be replaced but it was too late to make another run. There is always March!
We will also have the Silver Kenne Bell 2010 Camaro (went 200.9 in March 2011 @862rwhp) back out in March but this time with the massive Kenne Bell 4.2L Blower making 1100+rwhp. It currently is a running ,daily driven car making 995 rwhp with the 4.2L at 18lbs (no nitrous).
Sweet... I saw the run attempt Sunday morning... Something wasn't right but a very nice car regardless...

I appreciate the info... When I get to that point, I'll look them up... Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you... But we can hook up in march as I plan on being there to run...

995 at 18 lbs, is this on pump gas... I'm still on a conservative build tune running 12 lbs of boost, 12 degrees of timing and right at 800 rwhp, and 825 rwtq... 93 octane...

Old 10-28-2011, 12:24 AM   #12
Sam88gta1

Quote:
995 at 18 lbs, is this on pump gas... I'm still on a conservative build tune running 12 lbs of boost, 12 degrees of timing and right at 800 rwhp, and 825 rwtq... 93 octane...
Its on race fuel. Never made a dyno on pump gas and meth. After the new clutch is in the car it will go back on the dyno. Previous set up 2.8l KB @ 16lbs pump and meth made 825rwhp on a soft tune.